Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it the end for centre right/right wing politics?

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I cannot see Clegg wanting to work with Cameron. All the noise is of a Lib/Lab pact.

It is funny watching Cameron these days, as he comes to terms with the huge combined percentage of the Lib/Lab voters he seems directionless and not sure who to aim his case at.

Also, where is Osborne? Not seen or heard of him for a while. His 'head in the cloud' economics have been missing for some time now.

The only people making a noise about a Lib/Lab pact are Labour. Clegg brushed aside all the plaudits from Brown last week and yesterday called him a "desperate politician". Hardly the sound of a potential coalition partner.

Clegg has said that he'll deal with the party that has earned the right to govern. Can't see how that is going to be a party that finishes third.

Clegg has said that he'll deal with the party that has earned the right to govern. Can't see how that is going to be a party that finishes third.
... unless the Tory smears that are now splattered all over the right wing press piss Clegg off so much that he can (legitimately) say that Cameron's party has forfeited any rights to join him in a coalition or pact.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The only people making a noise about a Lib/Lab pact are Labour. Clegg brushed aside all the plaudits from Brown last week and yesterday called him a "desperate politician". Hardly the sound of a potential coalition partner.

A partnership with Labour, but maybe not with Brown......

Clegg was asked outright a few days after the first tv debate if he could work with Labour and he side stepped the direct question a few times...and left the door open. I think it might have been Paxman who asked. I could be wrong.

If there is a hung parliament there will be some words about how the nation has spoken and it wants a Lib/Lab coalition and then they will form a government....and maybe elect a new leader. Then PR....and good night Conservatives :lolol:

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Protecting our 'shores' and.... - if this was referring to the 'shoreline of England' that would be OK but it was referring to the collective shores of England, Scotland and N. Ireland, therefore the plural is correct as in the case of the oft misuse of the word 'pound'.
I have heard prime ministers of both parties refer to 'twenty pound' as a sum of money, where the hell did they go to school - 'a twenty pound note' yes, is correct when referring to the singular but 'twenty pounds' is correct as there are twenty of them. FFS no wonder they say schools are poor in this country when even PM's do not know correct grammar.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
A partnership with Labour, but maybe not with Brown......

Clegg was asked outright a few days after the first tv debate if he could work with Labour and he side stepped the direct question a few times...and left the door open. I think it might have been Paxman who asked. I could be wrong.

If there is a hung parliament there will be some words about how the nation has spoken and it wants a Lib/Lab coalition and then they will form a government....and maybe elect a new leader. Then PR....and good night Conservatives :lolol:

So how would that work then? Clegg says the price of a coalition is Brown stepping down as leader. Who would be Prime Minister - Clegg?

If you wanted another Labour PM any new leadership contest for Labour would take months and wouldn't be the cosy shoe in that Brown got. You would also have the fact that Labour would have had the second un-elected PM within the space of three years.

The reality is that any Lib-Lab pact will see Brown as PM unless Clegg wins more seats.

I long for a good old fashioned Right Wing Gouvernment. I would be more than happy if the top Brass military leaders were to organise a coup and impose martial law. Too many Human rights namby pambies have ruined this country. I did suggest to Lord Inge, the former Chief of The General Staff and good friend of mine, that he should organise a coup but alas he was not in favor it.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Im watching all this with increasing fascination. When Cleggy "won" last week I knew the conservatives would now spend all their energy rubbishing and demonising him, all the tory press jumping up and down every day, its so funny, although if I was a tory voter I wouldnt be laughing.

Assuming first past the post would have had its day and quite rightly, the tories have the real possibility now of not governing this country in our lifetime and it must be causing an absolute shitstorm in the dark corridors of the power hungry right.

If we were in America and it was 50 yrs ago they would have shot Clegg from a grassy knoll by now!

What the tories have done is what they always do, spend all their time being so negative and scaremongering the country about the others and not actually being positive and telling us in plain language what exactly they could do for the country and individual households.

What theyve also done is shown theyre not fit to govern because theyre still too pompous and they dont think ahead. Did they really think that Glegg wasnt worth worrying about when so many of their winnable seats are being stalked by the Libs?? Mind boggling.

As for Cameron, he lost that TV debate because he`s a teller, not a seller. He`s so keen to tell you he knows best which is why he spent all his time starting his sentences with I think, I spoke to, I know, it was all "I,I,I", me me me, and people dont like being told what to do by a politician. They all do it occasionally but Cameron was relentless and Clegg won because he spoke directly to the person posing the question everytime and made himself more personable.

A hung pariament would be a kick up the backside to the whole country, the politicians first but the lethargic and disillusioned in this country aswell, to actually take notice of whats going on around us. Clegg could well end up PM could he not, who else? He certainly doesnt want Brown. Perhaps they`ll leave it up to the Queen to choose!!

Oh, Ive just gone on google and clicked on news at the top and surprise surprise, the first headline story is rubbishing Clegg from the Daily Telegraph, I wonder how much theyve paid to get that to the top of the search! Laughable.

If the tories spend the next few weeks on this Get Clegg campaign, like they had spent years on the Get Blair campaign they will definitely lose.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So how would that work then? .

Possibly exactly the same way as when they decide which party gets which portfolios. This wont be an easy either. There will be lots of wheeling and dealing and jockying for position.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would be more than happy if the top Brass military leaders were to organise a coup and impose martial law.

I've often fancied myself as a benign dictator. You see, I know what the people want. And I'd look pretty good cruising around the country in a Merc wearing a peaked hat and aviator shades with a few medals on my chest.

Who's up for carrying my diplomatic man-bag?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So it would be quite likely that neither Clegg nor Brown would be Prime Minister?

I do not know. In a hung parliament most, if not all of the positions would be up for grabs. And yes I guess this could include the top job.

My understanding is that if there is no overall majority the incumbent party will be invited by the Queen to form a working government. Labour would then speak to the Liberals and thrash out a plan where they can work together, and divvy up the portfolios. Who gets what, and how they decide is anyone's guess.

A similar thing happened in Germany a few years back.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
I do not know. In a hung parliament most, if not all of the positions would be up for grabs. And yes I guess this could include the top job.

My understanding is that if there is no overall majority the incumbent party will be invited by the Queen to form a working government. Labour would then speak to the Liberals and thrash out a plan where they can work together, and divvy up the portfolios. Who gets what, and how they decide is anyone's guess.

A similar thing happened in Germany a few years back.

So you think the populace would be happy with the Prime Minister not being the leader of either political party despite there being an election 2 days before?

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
If there is a hung parliament. There will be people from all three parties in Government. Brown will not be the PM. This is for sure. Clegg does not want it, Dave will not have it. Brown is a gonner.

Who will be PM is anyones guess.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here