Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it right or wrong to "Whistleblow" on others ?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
it's wrong!
Always? Certainly I would never personally grass up someone who was, say, working and claiming dole or who'd nicked something from Woolies - but if I knew they'd mugged and beaten up an old lady then yes, like a shot.

As I said I think it's all down to where you personally draw the line, but if you can cover up for one of your friends or family who'd done something like I've just mentioned ... well I'm glad you're not one of my friends.

Surely it depends on the situation?

Let's say Dr Smith knows that Dr Jones is incorrectly prescribing drugs in a manner that could kill and, despite warnings from Dr Smith to both Dr Jones and the hospital authorities, continues to do so with the backing of senior management. Would those of you who have said "I would never do it" really criticise Dr Smith for reporting Dr Jones and the hospital to the relevant authorities or to the press?

Or let's say you work for a construction company which regularly sets up scaffolding without proper procedures, endangering not only their staff, but also any members of the public who might be walking by?

Or a police officer who sees his senior officers deliberately shelving an investigation into a member of the Chief Superintendent's family?

Or (and I was in this situation once) you know the construction company you work for told its staff to dump toxic chemicals into a stream, used for irrigation by local farmers, because it was going to cost money for it to be disposed of in the proper manner?

Or a civil servant who knows that a minister has lied to Parliament?

k2bluesky

Sep 22, 2008
Brighton
Difficult Choice

Just wondering like ????

You talking about the footballer in the showers thing? You have several choices, all difficult.
A. You don't report it, you have to leave the club or you'd be a laughing stock.
B. You report it and get slagged off by the idots at the club and you have to leave the club, but at least you get some revenge.
C. You take the law into your own hands and pick the fuckers off one by one on a dark night to make sure they will never kick a ball again (or pay someone else to do it).

Which option? and in most peoples book A is not an option.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's a duty to report people who are fiddling their benefit, apart from their greed it just makes things harder for those who have to manage on just their benefit. In case you're not sure, the tax payer ends up paying so they might as well just come and take money straight out of your wallet.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
But beware I have heard if it is a benefits matter and if Job Centre Plus don't choose not to prosecute then the affected person/persons may take the complainant through the civil courts for false representation and libel of course this is unlikely as anyone claiming benefits would not have the time or resources to take such action ....................would they???

So how does that work with an anonymous tip off?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
But beware I have heard if it is a benefits matter and if Job Centre Plus don't choose not to prosecute then the affected person/persons may take the complainant through the civil courts for false representation and libel of course this is unlikely as anyone claiming benefits would not have the time or resources to take such action ....................would they???

Knowing how fond you are of tips, Timmy, here is a little tip for you....

Know when to stop digging ;)

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Knowing how fond you are of tips, Timmy, here is a little tip for you....

Know when to stop digging ;)

Why would he break a habit of a lifetime. After all he is brighter than the rest of us law abiding plebs.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
To the police maybe if i knew for CERTAIN some sick fucka was harming a nipper aye. other than that nope

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
No wonder the economy is in the state it's in.

I would echo this sentiment. No matter how you dress it up, those people claiming dole illegally are robbing the the good citizens who are pay into the pool.

Just wondering like ????

It depends.
If it's not a friend, or it's a stranger doing something dishonest, then probably.
I once saw an old lady in a sweet shop slide some 'Spangles' up her sleeve, and didn't say a word - because it seemed trivial, and too embarrassing (for her) considering the 'weight' of the crime.

Finding out a mate is a nonce, he'd get whistled and he (or she) wouldn't be a desirable mate after that anyway.

Otherwise, it shows a shit side, a f***ing CREEP side of a person, to be shopping someone you know as a mate, or to be policing people for trivialities.
If it's someone you know cheating on their spouse, you might advise them against doing it, or suggest their marriage needs some counseling.

Surely it depends on the situation?

Exactly. For instance, if I had evidence that certain members of a certain local Parish Council or a certain local MP were acting inappropriately or illegally then I'd blow the whistle on them in a heartbeat. Sadly, I have nothing on any of them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I wonder how many muppets on here are diehard anti grasses but then go on to whinge about people like Karen Matthews, the parents of baby P, invalidity benefit malingerers etc etc. It is so too faced and probably due to some primordial honour code. Well, would you blow the whistle if you had seen who shot Rhys Jones. If you worked for a company and knew a boss was fraudulantly taking large amounts of money that would eventually see the company go bust and your job with it, would you report him?

Could you hand your own son/daughter into the Police?

Basically, if your not bothered about reporting a crime when it's committed against someone else, then please don't come on here whinging about any crime that is committed against you and your family. Is it any wonder society is apparently in a shit state when so many people are prepared to let the dregs of society get away with anything.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I would at work, but then my work is all about safety of the patients. I wouldn't go out and about with a camera in my pockets, but if something is wrong in the ward that affects patients' wellbeing, then i don't have any problems with speaking up about it.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I wonder how many muppets on here are diehard anti grasses but then go on to whinge about people like Karen Matthews, the parents of baby P, invalidity benefit malingerers etc etc. It is so too faced and probably due to some primordial honour code. Well, would you blow the whistle if you had seen who shot Rhys Jones. If you worked for a company and knew a boss was fraudulantly taking large amounts of money that would eventually see the company go bust and your job with it, would you report him?

Basically, if your not bothered about reporting a crime when it's committed against someone else, then please don't come on here whinging about any crime that is committed against you and your family. Is it any wonder society is apparently in a shit state when so many people are prepared to let the dregs of society get away with anything.

Excellent post.

I think the issue with dole spongers is that workers dont feel the pain directly. They tell themselves its OK cause its only the Government getting robbed and they can afford it. They are happy to moan about the government deductions from their salary, but are too myopic to see past that.

They would think very differently if the sponger came to their front door every payday and robbed his ill gotten gains straight out of their pay packet.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I don't think there are any 'diehard anti-grasses' on here. Brighton Till I Die might be one but he hasn't come back to say whether there's a limit as to what he'd turn a blind eye to. I think everyone else who's posted on here would agree with you.

Almost everyone on this thread has posted opinion that depends on the circumstance.

So, which are the "muppets" you refer to, and can you name names??

(Muttley type 'sheesh-sheesh' chuckle here)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Almost everyone on this thread has posted opinion that depends on the circumstance.

So, which are the "muppets" you refer to, and can you name names??

(Muttley type 'sheesh-sheesh' chuckle here)

Perhaps I was a bit harsh refering to all the muppets when really it is only those that see it as a breach of some imaginary honour code. They are truly the ones that piss me off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here