Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it really necessary to have additional car parking.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Bennetts Field is temporary because it is owned by the Bennett family and hasn't been made available to the Club permanently. It only has planning permission for three years. And - rumour has it - there are covenants on the land that prevent it being used as a permanent car park.

There is no chance of that land being returned for agriculture.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't think Bennett's is seen as long term parking due to the congestion that amount of parking causes on the junction. I'm sure the bennett brothers must also realise it has some better development potential (hotel etc), some form of permanent parking could come along with that.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My understanding - and I may be wrong - is that the terms of any covenant are not within the gift of the council.

So basically we need another P&R site or two before Bennetts Field becomes a field again ?

The question of a covenant on Bennetts Field was raised during the planning process which led to Lewes District Council giving the site planning permission for parking for three years. The nature of the covenant, as stated by one of the objectors at the time, is that its long-term use is restricted to bringing a benefit to the young people of Falmer village.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Why not turn one of lanes on the a27 into a match day bus lane? This would help the flow of buses and hopefully persuade people to not use their cars as the buses would flow easier to The Amex. The slip road off the a27 up to the mini roundabout should also be turned into a match day bus lane.

Why not turn one of lanes on the a27 into a match day bus lane? This would help the flow of buses and hopefully persuade people to not use their cars as the buses would flow easier to The Amex. The slip road off the a27 up to the mini roundabout should also be turned into a match day bus lane.
The biggest cause of delays to buses seems to be the existence of Bennetts Field car park. If that goes, and alternative parking is found elsewhere, things will be a lot easier.

The A270 Lewes Road is going to have permanent bus lanes anyway in a year or so.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The question of a covenant on Bennetts Field was raised during the planning process which led to Lewes District Council giving the site planning permission for parking for three years. The nature of the covenant, as stated by one of the objectors at the time, is that its long-term use is restricted to bringing a benefit to the young people of Falmer village.

I await to be corrected but as a ploughed field unused by 'young people' when it previously could have been, any covenant held on it that was laid down will be less robust under legal argument shurely?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Feb 14, 2010
The clue is in building the ground next to a motorway. The car is the most popular form of transport in the UK and simple supply and demand will sort of the car parking issue. Its likely the adjoining land / close by estates will have planning applications to build car parks in time. After all, if you owned land close to the ground then why wouldn't you? I expect the universities are already looking at how they can do the same, well I would be if I ran them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here