Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it really necessary to have additional car parking.

I really do not understand why it is necessary for extra car parking, for private cars, at The stadium or in the Falmer area if the capacity to be increased to 30,500. I read that the club are paying for upgrades at Falmer station which makes sense. Will extra trains be laid on to cope with more fans? Car sharing, extra coaches with additional collection/drop off points or more people cycling/walking to the stadium would seem to be a viable solution. People MUST learn not to use their cars so much. There is a perfectly good park and ride facility by the Kingston round about which I have noticed people seem to be unaware of.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I don't think there'll be more trains laid on, it's amendments to the platform to increase the platforms capacity and therefore efifciency in getting people on to the trains hopefully resulting in less half empty carriages.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
some of the parking at least includes extra spaces for blue badge holders - is it needed? Well my wife struggles with the park and ride because of access and crowding and the walking distances involved in travelling by train plus the crowds to get to and from the platform rule that out. If we want to come to a match together we have no choice but to rely on accessible parking and at the moment there is not enough - together with a 400 mile round trip it is one of the reasons we only get to a few home games a year while we are able to go to around 15 away matches where, invariably, disabled access is greatly superior

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It may be a perfectly good P&R but its nothing to do with the club and if the orgainsers can't be bothered one night to pick you up, its quite a walk

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I don't think there'll be more trains laid on, it's amendments to the platform to increase the platforms capacity and therefore efifciency in getting people on to the trains hopefully resulting in less half empty carriages.

This - extra car parking is temporary, so if it isnt used well next season, then i thought it would stop being used. Looking at the report - there are a lot of empty spaces at the Racecourse P&R (Mill Road and Mithras House are usually full). Extra disabled spaces are needed as well and the only space is for this new car park.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Question about the new parking on Falmer school, Where is the access to this? Through lucraft road side or Village way? Either way I can see it being very heavy traffic trying to get in and out of there.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I really do not understand why it is necessary for extra car parking, for private cars, at The stadium or in the Falmer area if the capacity to be increased to 30,500. I read that the club are paying for upgrades at Falmer station which makes sense. Will extra trains be laid on to cope with more fans? Car sharing, extra coaches with additional collection/drop off points or more people cycling/walking to the stadium would seem to be a viable solution. People MUST learn not to use their cars so much. There is a perfectly good park and ride facility by the Kingston round about which I have noticed people seem to be unaware of.

It's illegal

Disabled parking is an issue but how many spaces would be needed? Extra parking for the lazy able bodied motorist is taking the piss. I've noticed that the cars parked in Bennetts field tend to be 4x4s BMWs Jags and other gas guzzlers. If people feel that they have to drive, charge them £75 for the privilege (the elderly and blue badge holders exempt)

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Question about the new parking on Falmer school, Where is the access to this? Through lucraft road side or Village way? Either way I can see it being very heavy traffic trying to get in and out of there.

Did anyone know the answer to this?

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
This- there are a lot of empty spaces at the Racecourse P&R (Mill Road and Mithras House are usually full). Extra disabled spaces are needed as well and the only space is for this new car park.

I thought this was my little secret - now everyone will be at the Race Hill!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness though more spaces will mean more time getting out and that is one of the pains with the - rich/lazy 1901er's (delete as appropriate depending on your view) and the P&R buses. They need to find a way to get more vehicles offsite faster IMHO.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The additional parking is needed so that more disabled spaces can be made available nearer the stadium , with those displaced parking at the new site.

Remind me (not that I use it) why is Elliotts field temporary
Bennetts Field is temporary because it is owned by the Bennett family and hasn't been made available to the Club permanently. It only has planning permission for three years. And - rumour has it - there are covenants on the land that prevent it being used as a permanent car park.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Remind me (not that I use it) why is Elliotts field temporary

It was a temporary solution to make the up the minimum number of parking spaces required before the stadium could open for business. Permission was given to use Elliots Field on a temporary basis (3 years) until an alternative was found , which has now been approved at the former Falmer High School site. As a sustainable transport issue I think Bennetts Field will be made permanent once the 3 years have elapsed.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Bennetts Field is temporary because it is owned by the Bennett family and hasn't been made available to the Club permanently. It only has planning permission for three years. And - rumour has it - there are covenants on the land that prevent it being used as a permanent car park.

But will the council lift the covenants if it all ties in with a sustainable transport strategy which benefits the community as a whole ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here