Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it me or are there less poppies around this year?

Both my parents served in the armed forces in WW2, and lost relatives in action in WW1. My dad was torpedoed in the Mediterranean in an action that saw shipmates killed.

But neither of them ever wore a poppy. They took the view that remembrance was a private matter and that there was something wrong with the public commemoration of war that is associated with November 11th.

I respect the fact that other people think differently, but my instinct is to let the events of Remembrance Day pass me by.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Both my parents served in the armed forces in WW2, and lost relatives in action in WW1. My dad was torpedoed in the Mediterranean in an action that saw shipmates killed.

But neither of them ever wore a poppy. They took the view that remembrance was a private matter and that here was something wrong with the public commemoration of war that is associated with November 11th.

I respect the fact that other people think differently, but my instinct is to let the events of Remembrance Day pass me by.
I will always be grateful for those who lay down there lives for us. For this reason i will always purchase a poppy and show my gratitude. To me it's the least i can do.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I had a meeting yesterday in Brighton and on the way I noticed I'd left my poppy on my other suit. Ducked down George St as it's rammajammed with charity shops, traditionally a good place to find your poppy. Not one. NOT ONE charity shop had a poppy box. Ended up finding one in Superdrugs. Saw way less of the traditional poppy on people it's all blingy lapel pin badges or MASSIVE floppy things that look like hats pinned to people's chest. The traditional poppy: Simple, understated, immediately identifiable, dignified. All the others are just LOOK AT ME facebook style grief tourists.

As an aside, utterly understand if people don't wear them, totally their choice but for some reason I rarely believe the ones who say "I don't wear one but I always put money in", just doesn't ring true most of the time. It's more likely it just doesn't really enter their heads and now with less sellers the number of people that need to be reminded will increase.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I had a meeting yesterday in Brighton and on the way I noticed I'd left my poppy on my other suit. Ducked down George St as it's rammajammed with charity shops, traditionally a good place to find your poppy. Not one. NOT ONE charity shop had a poppy box. Ended up finding one in Superdrugs. Saw way less of the traditional poppy on people it's all blingy lapel pin badges or MASSIVE floppy things that look like hats pinned to people's chest. The traditional poppy: Simple, understated, immediately identifiable, dignified. All the others are just LOOK AT ME facebook style grief tourists.

As an aside, utterly understand if people don't wear them, totally their choice but for some reason I rarely believe the ones who say "I don't wear one but I always put money in", just doesn't ring true most of the time. It's more likely it just doesn't really enter their heads and now with less sellers the number of people that need to be reminded will increase.

I don't need a reminder!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No, I am not confused. I have several with consecutive dates on them. If I wasn't busy I could line them up and take a photo.

i just looked at the brochure again and yes there is a pin badge with the year on,the majority of pins from the tiny unassuming to the garish bling ones dont have years on though.
Didnt see a seller over here last year or this year.......perhaps the sellers mostly sell pins with years on?

as an aside The premier league poppy pins are simply horrible

jw1222-manchester-united-poppy-lapel-pin.jpg

http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/charity-jewellery/pins.html#_size=37

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here