Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it as bad as you can ever remember it?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Losing at "home" against Darlington 4-0 was my lowest point and made me look at what i was doing coming all the way over to Gillingham costing a fortune watching absolute bilge.

That was my low point.

This season has been more infuriating than getting all suicidal about it. I thought after the Plymouth game we had a chance of doing something in this division and that thought was cruelly shattered.

Whist I support DK obviously, I do question the ability of the team to provide a stadium. I am frustrated by the constant legal challenges to us, I am frustrated by the lack of funds available to buy players, I am frustrated by the yo yo club we have become. I am frustrated by the lack of a person prepared to plough money in. I am of the opinion that Brighton council knew damn well we would have difficulty getting falmer through and in effect used us as a lever to get that land developed ( why did they give us it for free otherwise). I think they knew the Uni's wouldn't buy it and that they would have opposition from residents. I believe they had to bring us back to help their political aims and show themselves as "labour for the people". I am fed up of getting wet and being told to sit down when trying to get a bit of atmosphere going.

On the positive, we are still around, we have some good youngsters, we have great supporters, we live in the best part of the country, it is our 25th next year and hopefully will be going to New Zealand, I have two lovelly daughters ( who are bleeding me dry) and we have a World Cup to look forward to.

So am I miserable...no chance

Although my golf handicap has been increased to 27:down: :down: :down: :down: I dont think I am that bad.

:cool:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Gritt23 said:
Oh how short the memories of some are. The sheer desolation I felt on the journey back from a 2-2 draw at Canvey Island will hopefully never be repeated.

We sat in the pub afterwards honestly discussing what we would all do the following season if there was no Albion anymore. It wasn't merely a hypothetical discussion, it honestly looked like it was going to happen.

Too right Gritty.

My worst memory is the day that we went bottom of Division 3 after losing to Darlo. We were playing an awful team; we got a fluke lead off Ian Baird's arse and we still lost. We had no ground for next season and our manager didn't have a clue. I'll never forget my miserable journey back to London after that game.

You can't even begin to compare this season with that one.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Gwylan said:
Too right Gritty.

My worst memory is the day that we went bottom of Division 3 after losing to Darlo. We were playing an awful team; we got a fluke lead off Ian Baird's arse and we still lost. We had no ground for next season and our manager didn't have a clue. I'll never forget my miserable journey back to London after that game.

You can't even begin to compare this season with that one.

So right, couldn't have put it better than that :clap: :clap: :clap:

Time for some of the fairweather fans of this team to take a reality check.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Re: Re: Is it as bad as you can ever remember it?

Bromley shrimp said:
Adams had a complete clear out leaving only Gary Hart on board.
That was 7 years ago and yet much of the residual (Hart himself, Oatway, Carpenter, Mayo, Kuipers (just)) have not been replaced despite playing 2 leagues higher than when he bought them for 3 of those 7 years.

This is completely beside the point, but Mayo was playing for Brighton a good few seasons before the arrival of Adams.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's hardly fairweather to ask the question - and that's what it was. I was fully expecting disagreement. Let's face it, you don't get much else on here these days.

My own low points from that era was Sudbury at home in the Cup, and the Darlo game mentioned earlier. On pure football alone, you're right you cannot compare now with then.

The point I was making was that even then I knew one day there must be a way back for our club, with our fan base. Right now, 10 years on, it's difficult to see how we can play above League One.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This season, more than ever, has shown that there is a large gulf between the bottom 3 of the CCC and the rest.

It will be interesting to see how Watford get on vs Leeds. If the Hornets can get into the Prem then there's still hope for the likes of us if we can get it right in the future.

However, with the increased TV deal kicking in from 2007/08 onwards the top flight will be even more awash with cash, and I expect the same few clubs to be yo-yoing between the divisions in the next 10 years, i.e. West Brom, Southampton, Palace, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Norwich and Birmingham.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The thing that gets me down right now is the seemingly never ending fight for Falmer, without it we're doomed, but the light at the end of the tunnel is a very feint flicker which could be distinguished at any point. We've been fighting for a new stadium for nearly 10 years, and we still seem to be light years away from it.

:shootself

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
It's hard to disagree with a lot of the sentiment.

I"m clinging to positives, mainly

That Falmer will happen.

That we have a young and developing squad with lots of potential.

That our Youth Structure is producing players of a decent calibre who aren't disgracing themselves at Championship level and should prosper in L1.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
depressing stuff :(

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wanderer said:
but the light at the end of the tunnel is a very feint flicker :shootself

Good chance that the light is a train :ohmy:

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
No, certainly not.

As other posters have said the Gillingham days in the late 90's was by far the worst.

At least now we have something tangible to aim at like Falmer, before that we did not know if we would ever get back to Sussex at all.

This season has been the most frustrating in a long time as at times we have looked a very good side but have not quite turned that superiority into wins, also everyone is left with the memory of our last 3 home games which were dire ! as opposed to earlier in the season when we played some nice stuff.

As for next season if we can keep the likes of Reid, Lynch, Hinsh, CKR & Hammond, we have the nucleus of a good league 1 side.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Of course it isn’t, there were no days darker than the two home games against Darlo (Case’s last game and the 4-0 tonking at the Pissfield.)

Yet again the current bad feeling has happened because of a lack of direction. I can’t believe the board have let this happen again after what happened when Taylor left. All we need is strong decisions and communication, one way or the other, right now.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Dies Irae said:
hopefully will be going to New Zealand

If you're not miserable now you will be when you get back from there

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Commander said:
If you're not miserable now you will be when you get back from there

The Mrs wants to see where they made LOTR and I want to see my auntie and cousins who I have not seen for 40 years

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Good thread and I find myself agreeing with most of the sentiments expresses - even the ones that apparently contradict each other!

I think I know where Toots is coming from though, the Darlo defeat is part of the Archer years when all this protest malarkey was new and a bit exciting. Yeah we'd had the odd 'Lloyd out!' protests before but nothing like the concentrated campaign we found ourselves involved in. Ten years down the line and we're STILL campaigning! Granted the enemy has changed (it's not a civil war any more) and but we've had ten years of lobbying, letter-writing, marching etc etc and the new stadium is still nothing more than paper, plans and dreams. The only real victory we've had is getting back to Withdean, and that looks more hollow each season.

I agree with DtG (Des Irate above), the crap season, the prospect of more crap, wet seasons, the current split in the Board, the planning consent being withdrawn, Prescott going, and LDC showing no signs of listening to the people have all combined to make this feel a pretty low time.

Ah well, keep buggering on people, we will get there in the end. Won't we?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Dies Irae said:
The Mrs wants to see where they made LOTR and I want to see my auntie and cousins who I have not seen for 40 years

Ah but does she know that most of the landscape in LOTR is actually various bits of NZ superimposed on each other though? Most of those things you see in the film dont actually exist. Fantastic country though, the best in the world in my opinion. The best I have been to anyway. Make sure you throw yourself off something high attached to a springy cord!

Johnners

Jun 27, 2004
burgess hill
Re: Re: Is it as bad as you can ever remember it?

bhaexpress said:
You need to see a doctor, this isn't great but its a whole different ball game to the nineties. Two Championships and a Play off final win have spoiled you.

Absolutley agree!!!

Not even in the same league.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Re: Re: Re: Is it as bad as you can ever remember it?

Johnners said:
Absolutley agree!!!

Not even in the same league.

This is not happy time I agree but we could be Rushdon or Oxford. Three seasons ago they both had high expectations for different reasons but now look where they are.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
dougdeep said:
Believe me, it's been worse than this and will be again.

Yes people have very short memories.....................that horrible trip to Gillingham to watch a team ten times worse than the present one will haunt me for a very long time!!:(

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Man of Harveys said:
I'd say we'd be much worse off without DK and with some awful shiny-suited Ken Bates wannabe in charge, like that dreadful Purdew mate of Steve Foster's. Just my HO.
Ha ha ha ha thats gotta be the biggest joke of a comment ever ha ha ha:lolol: Worse off without dick knight:lolol: :lolol:

Dick is potless and has attempted to do what anyother chairman would do,and thats to bring us back to brighton and attempt to get us a new stadium.In my book he has failed and has bought nothing but debt to the club and rip the fans off:angry:

we have spent 250k on players in roughly 5 years ha ha,im 99.9% sure that any other chaiman can do a much better job than knight in every department full stop.

If you people think he has done a super job then you need shooting:shootself the only posotives are the promotions,also thats not excactly down to knight is it?

any manager that came in had f-all budget and done a miracle getting us promotion.Face facts dick has acheived nout to date.just debts and more debts:angry:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here