Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it as bad as you can ever remember it?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can't think of Albion these days without feeling very depressed. And I'm not sure if it was that bad even in the dark days of the 90s.

At least then there was something to fight for, a club to save against the Archer evil. This slipping into the abyss feels worse.

What leaves me so low now is that we all fought for...this. This, now, was supposed to be the 'brighter future' bit, the calm after the storm. And it's arguably worse than in 1996.

Relegation, shit football, a split board in turmoil, the renowned team spirit in tatters, the side about to break up, players flouncing off, overpriced tickets, a manager who has lost the plot, still no sign of the stadium after a row which will leave lasting scars among the community, no chance of competing with similar clubs, a chairman who has stayed on too long (yes, I know why but it's a fact), not enough investment, NIMBYS I would happily punch, shitty Withdean, fans at each others throats, our 'Great White Hope' Prescott now a neutered laughing stock.

Someone convince me otherwise. Please.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Tooting Gull said:
I can't think of Albion these days without feeling very depressed. And I'm not sure if it was that bad even in the dark days of the 90s.

At least then there was something to fight for, a club to save against the Archer evil. This slipping into the abyss feels worse.

What leaves me so low now is that we all fought for...this. This, now, was supposed to be the 'brighter future' bit, the calm after the storm. And it's arguably worse than in 1996.

Relegation, shit football, a split board in turmoil, the renowned team spirit in tatters, the side about to break up, players flouncing off, overpriced tickets, a manager who has lost the plot, still no sign of the stadium after a row which will leave lasting scars among the community, no chance of competing with similar clubs, a chairman who has stayed on too long (yes, I know why but it's a fact), not enough investment, NIMBYS I would happily punch, shitty Withdean, fans at each others throats, our 'Great White Hope' Prescott now a neutered laughing stock.

You need to see a doctor, this isn't great but its a whole different ball game to the nineties. Two Championships and a Play off final win have spoiled you.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I didn't mention the promotions. I'm not even that bothered about the relegation in comparison to the rest of it. But give me the number of your shrink anyway, just in case...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'd say we'd be much worse off without DK and with some awful shiny-suited Ken Bates wannabe in charge, like that dreadful Purdew mate of Steve Foster's. Just my HO.

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
It's not THE worst time as far as I'm concerned but it's not far off.

All this pratting around about if Magoo is staying or not is nothing short of pathetic,and as for the players contracts.

If DK made his money out of advertising and PR I'd love to know how.

I just want to know if Magoo is staying or not so that I can arrange to work on saturdays if he is and do something constructive with my time.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe it's just football withdrawal symptoms kicking in. There's not any rush is there? The Albion will sort themselves out over the next month or two, and while they're doing that, we can enjoy a chuckle at the play-offs and a whole new set of moans at the World Cup in June, go on holidays July and savour the prospect of a shiny new season in August and the abject humiliation of the Lib Dems at their Conference in September.

Don't worry, be happy :smokin:

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Tooting Gull said:

Some valid points, but it's team issues which concern me most of all.
Adams had a complete clear out leaving only Gary Hart on board.
That was 7 years ago and yet much of the residual (Hart himself, Oatway, Carpenter, Mayo, Kuipers (just)) have not been replaced despite playing 2 leagues higher than when he bought them for 3 of those 7 years.
Now we're told the future's with the kids and so it may be, but the right blend with experienced players has to be struck. Gatting and Robinson have already been found lacking, whereas Lynch and Harding have managed to make the transition to the higher level.
In short, a one dimensional approach isn't gonna work. The Adams era may have been a one off in terms of the level of success he managed to bring from calling in his old pals such as the above, Watson and Cullip, but a clearly thought out re-building process now has to begin if we are to strive for the 2nd division rather than dropping back into the fourth.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't think sacking MM will make a jot of difference but I know exactly what you mean. The brief euphoria of getting Falmer approved only to find the hurdles were still lined up, coupled with the knock on effects of the Falmer scenario and the lack of investment in the team is depressing.

Nothing is going our way at the moment, and is unlikley to in the near future. We are likely to lose more quality on the field than we gain for next season as well :down:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Believe me, it's been worse than this and will be again.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Tooting Gull said:
I didn't mention the promotions. I'm not even that bothered about the relegation in comparison to the rest of it. But give me the number of your shrink anyway, just in case...

Actually you don't need a shrink, try a gynaecologist.

Icy Gull said:
Don't think sacking MM will make a jot of difference but I know exactly what you mean. The brief euphoria of getting Falmer approved only to find the hurdles were still lined up, coupled with the knock on effects of the Falmer scenario and the lack of investment in the team is depressing.

Nothing is going our way at the moment, and is unlikley to in the near future. We are likely to lose more quality on the field than we gain for next season as well :down:

Well, the Sports Argus cover story that our chances are improving for getting GNW was one bright spot in a generally nightmarish fortnight.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
London Irish said:
Well, the Sports Argus cover story that our chances are improving for getting GNW was one bright spot in a generally nightmarish fortmight.

He made that up though. I hope he goes to Plymouth.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
bhaexpress said:
Actually you don't need a shrink, try a gynaecologist.

Aww, you charmer. I'm beginning to see what Twatty sees in you.

:blush:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I think the board either need to back or sack MM quickly (I personally think he should be given until Christmas but it isn't up to me).

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Oh how short the memories of some are. The sheer desolation I felt on the journey back from a 2-2 draw at Canvey Island will hopefully never be repeated.

We sat in the pub afterwards honestly discussing what we would all do the following season if there was no Albion anymore. It wasn't merely a hypothetical discussion, it honestly looked like it was going to happen.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
London Irish said:
Well, the Sports Argus cover story that our chances are improving for getting GNW was one bright spot in a generally nightmarish fortnight.
Not one single quote in the story so forget that. Total speculation.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I can see Tooting Gull's point. When you are down the bottom of the league things are bleak but you always believe because the club has a big catchment area, lots of fans, decent history that it is capable of bouncing back back one day.

The problem now is that we've beaten Palace, played 3 seasons in the CCC and mixed with the big boys, but appear in pretty bad shape as we drop down again.

This point is where the manager and board are so important. The players confidence is rock bottom, so the management of the club have to lift them by inspiring and freshening up.

I think that the players are stale and the management burnt out. We need new faces on and off the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here