Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Gus good enough.....

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
If we sacked Poyet we would be a laughing stock. We need to think of ourselves with slightly more sober judgement.

The reason most other supporters think Gus is fantastic is because he tells the media and little ol' Brighton have been in the bottom divisions for years.
We are now a big club and comparing us to the Withdean years is not a fair comparison. A good manager would love to a go at BHA

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Win on Sunday,and all forgotten
Last year before demolishing Southampton, we lost 3 on the bounce
We are a better side than last year

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It was an example. Stop making another beeline for me (same as the England thread the other day.. unprovoked)QUOTE]

That was done as a bit of banter, sorry you couldn't take it as just that. I'll leave it there.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
The only problem I can see with Gus and his style of play is if he continues to restrict strikers in the way they play
ie continually trying to get them to walk it into the back of the net every game then it wouldn't matter who we signed they wouldn't score very many goals.
There is no way Murray would have scored 30 goals for us so far this season, he would be lucky to score 15 if that.
CMS is quality but will not play for us again as Gus will not let him play the way he performs best.
Very very frustrating watching at the moment !!!

Pixelated Penguin

Jul 5, 2011
Back to the theme of the thread. Poyet can't take the pressure at this level. We look good when there's no real pressure, early season, cup games against big teams. We have the players to compete with the best in this division but Gus is far too negative in games he needs to be positive. Balckburn game apart when we the last time we really went for a team from the off, especially at home? The shit his teams have produced in high pressure games against Bristol and Barnsley gives me doubts for the very first time that he is the right man to take us to the next level.
This.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
It was an example. Stop making another beeline for me (same as the England thread the other day.. unprovoked)QUOTE]

That was done as a bit of banter, sorry you couldn't take it as just that. I'll leave it there.

I did. But tonight's strange attack...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I believe Gus is good enough. If Ulloa had scored that pen we'd all be feeling a lot better.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
I fail to see how you can say that when we are short of at least 2 or 3 players that would make us a promotion candidate. Even before the injuries we needed at least 1 more striker proven at this or the equivalent level. I also need an attack minded midfielder who could do the job that Croft was brought in to do and also a multi positional back four player who could fill in as required wherever across the back four.

I do not blame Gus for this as I believe, but have no proof, that it is a case of there not being the money available to sign the players that are needed, the same as there wasnt the money to pay GM as squad/back up player.

Exactly 2 or 3 you say, a striker proven at this or equivalent level (thought that was the same lol) Gus has been nearly two seasons looking for another one until Ulloa but then again we did already have GM and then Dobbie who didn't really get a chance Holloway soon snapped him up because he knows how to use him. OK letting him go released wages for Upson probably. An attack midfielder like Crofts rarely gets a start not Gus's way so why bring him back? As the back 4 thought we had it in Calderon covers anywhere not forgetting Vincelot probably not quite up to this standard but still a decent utility player. We all think different

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
He just needs to change his approach to suit the match, i'm sure a more direct game would have seen something from both the B.City and Barnsley games ... they must have loved the pass pass pass nowhere game policy as it doesn't attack their slow ponderous centre backs and played into there hands

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Hopefully. But even if he's not that doesn't mean he's a bad manager. Our budget isn't anywhere near others. I again point to 8million Jordan Rhodes...

Jordan Rhodes, Waybe Rooney anyone you care to name, only score goals because poeple pass to them. The policy of playing only one striker has not really worked, especially when there is no service. Some like the 'passing game', but we are judged by how many times we get the ball between the posts and this style of play is not leading us there. Its not time to panic, lets hold our nerve and see what happens on Sunday. Would be interesting to know why Dave was taken off, the penalty tonite was left to the lone striker who apparently was tired and jaded last week, hmm. I have a feeling of deja vu, hope i'm wrong.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
So is that Gus's fault?

Yes in a way, we were losing and the pressure got to the player. We were 2-1 down to the bottom team with 10 odd mins to go.
Obviously anyone can miss a pen, but if you think tonight was acceptable because we missed a penalty I'd have to disagree

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here