Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Greer still good enough ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
With talk on another thread of us signing Simone Benedetti another CB I wonder if the club gave Dunk an assurance that they would sell him in the January window to get him to sign a new contract and thus up his transfer value.

You do come up with some great conspiracy theories.

Not conspiracy but logical or why would we be interested in signing another centre back to become 4th or 5th choice

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Germaine_Greer.jpg Yes there's still life in the old dog!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It depends.

If you're playing a high line where he has to actually pass the ball with any level of ability above that of a Sunday league player, then he probably never was good enough.

But does he clearly offer good organisation and have good defensive characteristics that are still useful for our level, then yes, he probably still is good enough.

I guess it's all about the system. But if we intend to genuinely progress by staying at the top of the league/potentially going up, then he's a back up player for me personally.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I think individually both Dunk and Uwe are better than Greer, that said, our defense is more solid as a whole with Greer in the squad.

Agree with this. Leadership qualities bring a lot to the whole team!

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
It's a massive YES from me, to my mind he is our most important player, the glue that holds everything together.

Next season, who knows? We are still a fair way from the Premier League!

His strength may be in areas which are not immediately obvious to us fans and mere mortals. I think he marshalls the defence well, and of course in the dressing room he may be an immense figure, which is worth its weight in gold. Pure speculation of course. Shame about his passing, though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
His strength may be in areas which are not immediately obvious to us fans and mere mortals. I think he marshalls the defence well, and of course in the dressing room he may be an immense figure, which is worth its weight in gold. Pure speculation of course. Shame about his passing, though.

This. Still a yes from me. Prefer him and BFG as first choice CB pairing. Always nervous with Dunk there.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
No one is doubtful that's he's been brilliant for the club over the last few years. He's been so reliable throughout the years but obviously as he's got older he's got slower and less aware , that's where this question comes from. Is he still good enough to start for us and for the premier league next season (hopefully)?
To be honest no.
With Dunk playing well, Uwe settling in and the excellent Goldson waiting in the wings, I'm quite sure the writing is on the wall for GG.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Not conspiracy but logical or why would we be interested in signing another centre back to become 4th or 5th choice

There is no indication that we are interested in another CB.
There is one click bait Twitter piece with 5 random names (none of whom we have ever been linked with) which has been promoted on here by Perseus.
Should be enough said. :whistle:

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
There is no indication that we are interested in another CB.
There is one click bait Twitter piece with 5 random names (none of whom we have ever been linked with) which has been promoted on here by Perseus.
Should be enough said. :whistle:
We are looking at another CB.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Greer has enough experience to be able to adapt his game to suit his advancing years and lack of pace at this level. Couldn't see him cutting it at Prem level IF we get there, but for now, he's still the main man even if it does take him longer to get match fit after injury.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
a
If I could find the article I would ☺
Its not a secret or anything, it was reported in some local rag not long ago that we were scouting another CB.
I remember thinking "why"?

Fair enough.:thumbsup:
Before the thread Perseus started there have been two other CB's commented on that I've seen. One was BG's mention that we spoke to Huddersfield's Mark Hudson but didn't close a deal and have since signed Hunemeier and Goldson. The other related to an Italian lad whose name I don't recall but who had only played a handful of games. I didn't take it seriously and felt it was the usual 15 year old FIFA-nerd stuff (wait to be proven wrong but I doubt it).
Others may know of something more concrete but I'd stick by my suggestion that there's nothing to indicate we are after a centre back right now.
I do agree with the view that Greer is probably in his last season (at least as a first team regular starter) and we will need to bolster the squad accordingly. We of course have Connor Goldson to step up and I'm sure he will plus we have Glen Rea coming through although I suspect he may be a better midfielder. His loan to Southend where he currently can't make their first team squad ends in January. We also have Tom Dallison and, lower down the pecking order, Ben White, who may come through.
I suspect therefore that unless we are offered an exceptional youngster we will wait until the summer to bring in Greer's replacement. If we go up it'll be someone with bags of experience and if we don't it may even be GG staying as a squad member.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
a

Fair enough.:thumbsup:
Before the thread Perseus started there have been two other CB's commented on that I've seen. One was BG's mention that we spoke to Huddersfield's Mark Hudson but didn't close a deal and have since signed Hunemeier and Goldson. The other related to an Italian lad whose name I don't recall but who had only played a handful of games. I didn't take it seriously and felt it was the usual 15 year old FIFA-nerd stuff (wait to be proven wrong but I doubt it).
Others may know of something more concrete but I'd stick by my suggestion that there's nothing to indicate we are after a centre back right now.
I do agree with the view that Greer is probably in his last season (at least as a first team regular starter) and we will need to bolster the squad accordingly. We of course have Connor Goldson to step up and I'm sure he will plus we have Glen Rea coming through although I suspect he may be a better midfielder. His loan to Southend where he currently can't make their first team squad ends in January. We also have Tom Dallison and, lower down the pecking order, Ben White, who may come through.
I suspect therefore that unless we are offered an exceptional youngster we will wait until the summer to bring in Greer's replacement. If we go up it'll be someone with bags of experience and if we don't it may even be GG staying as a squad member.

The Italien mentioined was Simone Benedetti and the story of Huddson came from his family they dont know or wont say why it fell through and we went after another CB. I still wonder about us selling Dunk in January if the rumour about signing Benedetti has any legs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here