Votes: 55 30.1%
  • No

Votes: 128 69.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Sorry to be pedantic. But I’m of the opinion the lyrics to “Three Lions” refer to England hosting a football tournament (Euro 1996) for the first time since the 1966 World Cup finals. That’s why “Football’s coming home”.

“Footballs coming home” didn’t equate to winning the trophy in the original lyrics, however at some point in the past 28yrs, after the song was adopted by fans and the public, the meaning has changed.

If we win tonight I will not refer to it as “football coming home” or say that “football’s come home.”

Rant over. Can’t wait for the game. Come on England.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Saw a group of young lads walking through Findon Valley just now, all wearing England shirts, a couple draped in flags, one with the red and white curly wig, all looking full of hope and excitement.

I remember those days before too many years of disappointment kicked in. While I hope that they enjoy their evening but I fear the walk home will not have the same energy.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Sorry to be pedantic. But I’m of the opinion the lyrics to “Three Lions” refer to England hosting a football tournament (Euro 1996) for the first time since the 1966 World Cup finals. That’s why “Football’s coming home”.

“Footballs coming home” didn’t equate to winning the trophy in the original lyrics, however at some point in the past 28yrs, after the song was adopted by fans and the public, the meaning has changed.

If we win tonight I will not refer to it as “football coming home” or say that “football’s come home.”

Rant over. Can’t wait for the game. Come on England.
Well, hold on. Yes. We could use that take. And anyway, that means that football is coming home in 2028 regardless. Sorted.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
1000009582.jpg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I suspect we’re going to be on the wrong end of a right old battering tbh

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In some ways I’d prefer us to be wonderfully entertaining and go down fighting than reduce it to a bore fest and win.
Nah.

When you've been on a horror run you take victory however it comes. That lifts the pressure, then pretty football will follow.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think tonight will come down to VAR. There will be diving, feigning injury, shitehousery and great injustice.

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Unfortantly I think we will just miss out, but live in hope and will be proud of the boys for what they have achieved

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
While we have a chance, we don't stand a chance.
Thankfully my expectations didn't rise above this, so by the final whistle I was neither surprised or disappointed. Just felt a sense of Meh. You see, Gareth even managed to bash the passion out of me as well.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Well chaps it's definitely not coming home. 58 years of hurt and counting
54 years. As someone else pointed out, until 1970 we were still rather pleased with ourselves :)

It's still amazing, given the amount of interest, participation, support and obscene coverage that our national game gets that England have still only ever won one trophy.

Among other European nations this is the haul of trophies (this is a cursory glance. Hungary's 3 includes the three Olympic medals won in the 50s/60s. Maybe we should just bloody swallow the ridiculous pride and ego and enter as Team GB and try and win something together!)

Germany - 9
France - 9
Italy - 7
Spain - 7
Hungary - 3
Czech Republic - 2
Portugal - 2
Denmark - 1
England - 1
Greece - 1
Netherlands - 1
Russia - 1

It's a pretty poor indictment. What have we been doing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here