Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Falmer the answer to all our problems?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Simster said:
The fact that we don't sell out at Withdean is that we have no walk up trade (tickets cannot be bought on the day), tickets are a rip off, the facilities are crap, there is no atmosphere etc etc.

Nothing to do with a lack of support.

I agree that factors such as how the tickets can be sold do not help. But with a limited capacity, you would expect more games to sell out and they are not and with an increased capacity from the new year, these games need to sell out.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Uncle Buck said:
I agree that factors such as how the tickets can be sold do not help. But with a limited capacity, you would expect more games to sell out and they are not and with an increased capacity from the new year, these games need to sell out.

I think you need to take into account the widespread belief that it's impossible to get tickets at Withdean. I've speaken to loads of casual fans who wouldn't even think of trying to get a ticket because they believe they're so difficult to get hold of.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Voroshilov said:
I think you need to take into account the widespread belief that it's impossible to get tickets at Withdean. I've speaken to loads of casual fans who wouldn't even think of trying to get a ticket because they believe they're so difficult to get hold of.

Which is something that needs sorting now, otherwise there are going to be far too many empty seats in the increased Withdean.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Uncle Buck said:
Which is something that needs sorting now, otherwise there are going to be far too many empty seats in the increased Withdean.
Increased capacity will still not affect the casual fan who only decides whether to turn up on the day of the match. Because in our case, he won't be going if he's left it that late.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Hang on a second, lets not get into this Withdean-not-sold-out crap again. The crowds at Withdean can not be used to make any kind of reasonable assessment of projected crowds for Falmer.

The reality is that it is usually the away end that doesn't sell out. Combine that with season ticket holders who don't always turn up and you get less than capacity crowds - as empty seats are blocked from being sold.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Simster said:
Increased capacity will still not affect the casual fan who only decides whether to turn up on the day of the match. Because in our case, he won't be going if he's left it that late.

The problem has been too often clubs have sent us the tickets back on the Friday and yet the club have not often relayed this via the local press or eshots that these are available until 1pm on the day of the game. Then you have the situation of half the away end empty.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
There is no real excuse. If people were THAT bothered about getting to home games then they would go to Withdean. Obviously those who choose to go to away games instead is fair enough, I am more talking about the people who it seems will suddenly appear from nowhere.

Will this Saturday be a sell out? It should be. Same for Wolves. Two big clubs, hot on the heels of the Palace win and both could be the first game after the Falmer announcement.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I can't be arsed to write anything new on this subject so i'll just cut & paste my views the last time this subject came up. That was in April after Ian Hart suggested on SCR that we wouldn't get a 12,000 average at Falmer. I still pretty much hold the view I did at the time.

Ok so statistics can be used to prove anything, 90% of people know that, but the figures for clubs moving to new stadiums show increased crowds as a result. Hull City, as i've already described somewhere else on here, are the prime example of the benefits of a new stadium. A club that struggled to get over 5,000 in old Division 2 over 10 years ago now plus in 17,000+ in League 1. That in a city that also possess a top flight team in another sport and has a number of other league clubs in its catchment area.

A new ground won't make people magically appear of course. It'll take hard work from the commercial department to win people back. I'd like to see half price tickets for kids, group discounts and a decent advertising campaign about tickets as opposed to the secret society that currently surrounds the sale of home tickets. We have had a long break when our crowds have been restricted and no-one really knows just how big an effect that will have. I don't agree with some on here who think that we'll open up the gates at Falmer and 20,000 people will rush in every weeK. It's going to take hard work to get the floating punter to turn up semi-regularly.

The question arises that if we wouldn't get more than 10,000 average, why do we need to build a new stadium that holds 23,000? This is the angle being pushed by all the anti-stadium groups at the moment. They all want us to stay at Withdean for at least the next 20 years at a 9,000 capacity. Why not, they say, demolish the running track and build 4 stands around the pitch taking it to 10,000?

This though would doom us to obscurity, to spending the rest of our existence living off the crumbs from the table. That's not for me and it's not for those in charge either. They have recognised that the most important step in making this club a forward thinking and succesful one is to provide an arena that can accomodate as many as possible in comfort. Wigan Athletic built a 25,000 stadium when they had crowds of 4,000, because Dave Whelan recognised that the most important step in moving forward was not on the pitch but the facilities off it. If you offer up an attractive venue it will attract people. Of course you then need to keep them there and that, as I say, is down to those in charge commercially.

Northampton Town bought their stadium back from the local council because they want to expand it. The club is running at 77.7% capacity so far this season and those in charge want to attract more people along to help the team progress. Northampton aimed low with their original design, have now recognised the need to expand and are making plans to do so.

Even Darlington's ground, a white elephant at the moment, an extravagant ego monument that pushed the club toward bankruptcy, is starting to come good. Crowds are still low but they are increasing slowly but surely. With that stadium they are an attractive proposition to investors, hence the current bid by Peter Ridsdale for the club. If you have the facilities then you have a base to build success on.

I know that there is a growing dislike of Withdean, something that has built up since our relegation in 2002/03 season. When we get the new arrangement and the capacity goes up to 9,000 for next season we will have to SELL those tickets, not just sit on our hands and expect them to be sold. What will increase crowds is good news when it comes to the new ground. If people can see that light at the end of the tunnel then maybe they might suffer our stadium for a couple more years. I don't think people would accept it for the next 20 years, even if we had a roof.

I still think that 12,000 average is a realistic figure for a club like ours in a brand new arena playing 2nd level football. I want us to be in a position where we can look towards getting those kinds of gates. We can only get in that position if we move into a new 23,000 capacity stadium. If we do get a new stadium then we have the ability to attract that kind of crowd through incentives and hard work.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Withdean sales are totally irrelevant.

Ive got many many friends who refuse to go there becasue, even if we play well, its a very poor day out.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Richie Morris said:
There is no real excuse. If people were THAT bothered about getting to home games then they would go to Withdean. Obviously those who choose to go to away games instead is fair enough, I am more talking about the people who it seems will suddenly appear from nowhere.

Will this Saturday be a sell out? It should be. Same for Wolves. Two big clubs, hot on the heels of the Palace win and both could be the first game after the Falmer announcement.

People go in groups. It only takes one person who cannot get in to get a ticket and a whole group of supporters fall by the wayside. This is especially true of new supporters who you might want to bring along on the day.

10% plus of fans do not use credit cards, so if this is the main way of buying tickets, this will knock out 10% to start with.

Older fans will only respond in numbers to "pay on the day". This does not have to be at the ground. Railway stations would do (be better) but who believes this system would really work?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Simster said:
The fact that we don't sell out at Withdean is that we have no walk up trade (tickets cannot be bought on the day), tickets are a rip off, the facilities are crap, there is no atmosphere etc etc.

Nothing to do with a lack of support.

But this will be the same at Falmer if you believe the hype.( ie purchasing tickets on the day)

I also do believe that football has priced itself out of the market. Did anyone see the Manu game at Sunderland...the ground was half empty!!!!

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
perseus said:

Older fans will only respond in numbers to "pay on the day". This does not have to be at the ground. Railway stations would do (be better) but who believes this system would really work?

But what happens if you drive to the game...or get dropped off like we do. Are you suggesting that some old bloke gets dropped outside the ground on match day and then has to walk down to falmer station to get a ticket to go in? If that is the case, he will do it once.....

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
dave the gaffer said:
But what happens if you drive to the game...or get dropped off like we do. Are you suggesting that some old bloke gets dropped outside the ground on match day and then has to walk down to falmer station to get a ticket to go in? If that is the case, he will do it once.....

You can't blame me for this. Lord Bracknell suggested this would be the scenario for Falmer. Actually, I hope I have got this wrong.

But part of the tactics to get Planning Permission was the "highly successful" transport arrangements for Withdean are planned for Falmer as well.

i.e.

1) the transport costs may again inflate the price of the ticket.
2) tickets for Falmer will not be available on the day at Falmer stadium.

At the moment in Sussex (although not Brighton) 65% people use their car to get to work and only 11% use public transport. I think the proposed figures for Falmer are 19% using public transport.

This would be "successful".

My betting is with the park 'n ride the premium cost on the ticket is here to stay.

This may be necessary for the arrangements for Falmer. I think this on obstacle will have to be suffered. It is a drag if you live out in the wilds of Mile Oak where the public transport is a bit naff. It would be a drag for Sheepcote as well.

The thing of concern to me is how to purchase tickets for Falmer.

I do not want to contribute to the "greenhouse" problem by making two journeys, one to buy the tickets and another to go to the match. I will probably find a way somehow. But the point is others will not. For the run of the mill games, an easy way to buy tickets will have to be found. Waiting in anticpation for it to be sorted out.

I like the idea of buying tickets at convenient venues even days before the match. I don't trust the post and like many others (more than 10%) do not tend to pay by credit card.

It would be interesting to know how other clubs with new stadia sell their tickets?

Goldstone East Terrace supporter.

Last edited:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
perseus said:

But part of the tactics to get Planning Permission was the "highly successful" transport arrangements for Withdean are planned for Falmer as well.

i.e. 2) tickets for Falmer will not be available on the day at Falmer stadium.

It would be interesting to know how other clubs with new stadia sell their tickets?

On the day at the Stadium is the most succesful way

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Dont worry,They will be flocking to a new stadium.Not even an issue in my book.:drink:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think some people on here do not appreciate just how much the casual Albion fan hates the Withdean Stadium.

I don't think the extra seats will make things any better from an atmosphere point of view because they are so far away from the action and the Albion fans, but the club needs the money so it's a good move overall.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It is if we can fill it every week.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Un less I am mistaken is it not also a condition of Falmer, if granted , that tickets will not be able to be bought 'on the gate' there either.

I have said many times our regular die in the wood crowd is about 8 - 9,000 any increase on that is dependant on results on the pitch.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
BensGrandad said:
Un less I am mistaken is it not also a condition of Falmer, if granted , that tickets will not be able to be bought 'on the gate' there either.

But they will be available at stations on the day just not at the turnstiles.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Yorkie said:
But they will be available at stations on the day just not at the turnstiles.

I think that is a good idea in principle, but cannot see it happening as its just too difficult to manage, plus if you start asking outside agencies to flog your tickets they will want a cut and how would the person selling at the station record who they are selling too ? That takes time and a dedicated expensive system.

It a spin that hasnt been thought through.

Falmer will be a great stadium, but only in a higher league, we never sold much more than 10,000 season tickets at the Goldstone and comparing us to Hull every 5 minutes is not a valid arguement, they have very little competition, loads of people I know from Goldstone days will not return unless we are in the premiership, its sad but I think in this division, at Falmer, after a few years we will do well to get more that 10,000 for games other than with the London clubs, and NOTHING anyone says on here will convince me otherwise.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here