Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Cox a bit of a MINCER ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Argus:

Dean Cox today revealed the hurt he has suffered after Albion fans abused him. Opening his heart to The Argus, Cox says they made him feel "like rubbish" and have marred his impressive debut season. Cox, 19, and team-mate Jake Robinson, 20, were subjected to a vicious verbal attack during the warm-up before last Saturday's defeat by Bradford City at Withdean. Cuckfield-born Cox, who has scored nine goals from midfield in his first season as a pro, said: "It's really hurtful, puts a dampener on my whole season. What I have done doesn't mean anything. For people to have a go at me even before I have kicked a ball put me in the wrong frame of mind. I can take criticism. If I have played badly I am the first one to hold my hand up and tell the gaffer. I can take that after a game but before the game, when I am trying to prepare, being spoken to the way I was made me feel like rubbish. It's not helping. It was totally unnecessary."

It was the second home game in a row that the pint-sized Cox and Robinson have been the targets of a hate campaign. They came under fire from a different set of supporters when they were substitutes for the previous match against Doncaster. "We were just warming up and four men decided to come right up to the barrier and started hurling abuse," Cox revealed. "All I could do at the time was laugh because I couldn't believe it. After thinking about it, you go home and sit down and just think what have I done wrong?'. They were two separate groups. I am not saying it is all the fans but there are a select few wanting to voice their opinions in the way they did. That is up to them. I am not in control of that, I can't stop it. All I can say is the players are going into every game trying to win and to do our best. That is all we can do."

Cox is determined to overcome his detractors as Albion head for play-off chasing Swansea tomorrow trying to end a run of three straight defeats. "I have never experienced anything like it but it has happened and I have just got to get on with it," he said. "It's a new learning curve but I am going to have to learn to deal with it. I have got a gaffer behind me that is going to stick with me, which makes it a lot easier. I have experienced quite a lot, nearly everything, in a year. Hopefully it makes me a better player and person and Albion get the best out of me. The vast majority of fans have been brilliant, especially the away support. It has just put a little dampener on things, because it just makes me feel not wanted."

OK, now I'm sorry if this makes me a Bad Fan, but I have never read such a load of self-pitying B0LL0CKS in my life. A handful of idiotic fans dish out a bit of foul-mouthed abuse before kickoff, and it seems Cox has gone into some kind of mental decline over it all. I'm not condoning those fans - obviously - but for crying out loud, Cox is a 19 year old professional footballer, not a 12 year old cheerleader. I think this "we're just a young team" mantra from Wilkins has perhaps been taken too far, and players such as Cox and Robinson now believe they truly have just rolled out of the cradle. YES they're young, but there are plenty of 19/20 year old players up and down the Leagues making a living at this game, and if they were all shrinking violets who reacted like these two, they'd barely pull a pair of boots on again.

As I say, I'm not condoning the fools who decided to hurl abuse at these players in the warm-up - that IS inexcusable and they should be banned. But I'm genuinely worried that the incident seems to have affected them so badly. I'd much rather they'd turned round and given those "fans" a volley of abuse straight back - they'd have been perfectly justified to. As for the Argus describing it as a "hate campaign" - that’s almost as pathetic as this blubbering reaction from Cox. Jees Wilkins, please instill some BACKBONE in these younger players, or they just ain't gonna make it.

Or am I completely out of order ?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Maybe it's their diminutive stature, but they don't look like 19 year old MEN do they, which does help the mantra.

But I know what you mean, I'm sure Rooney and Owen were subject to huge amounts of abuse at a younger age, and there is no reason to expect them to take it better simply because they are more skillful footballers, but we do take it. Christ, plenty of people will have a go at an almost equally young Wayne Rooney for his inability to cope with provocation.

I think you have a point Easy.

**this is in no way condoning the actions of the IDIOTS who were abusing them**

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I thnk that both Adam El-Abd and Dean Cox were fed the words to say by the club as a carefully stage-managed form of damage limitation during the critical season ticket renewal period. I'm pretty sure if you got either of them down the pub, their true reaction would remain 'What a bunch of ****s! :angry:

And they'd have a point.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
oy! my 7 year old idolises Coxy.

Seriously, he wishes he was Dean. So no, he's just a human being who's lucky enough to be hero-worshipped by kiddies.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I idolise Cox meself when he's doing the biz on the pitch. He's a terrific young talent. But if he's going to retreat into his shell just because of some pre-match verbals from a few numbskulls, he needs to TOUGHEN UP a bit, get a bit of "f*** YOU" attitude, get on that pitch and rape some fullbacks. Simple as that.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I expect his Mum wrote it, it did seem a bit wimpy.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Easy 10 said:
I idolise Cox meself when he's doing the biz on the pitch. He's a terrific young talent. But if he's going to retreat into his shell just because of some pre-match verbals from a few numbskulls

What? PRE-match abuse on a player not long out the youth team. At a HOME match? At the good old library that is Withdean? Not surprised he was shocked.

I still choose to believe the pre-match thing didn't actually happen, so ridiculous is the notion. I mean, was nobody stood next to these cretins? Did nobody have a word? Were the stewards all fully occupied monitoring H Block? Just doesn't ring true.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm just waiting eagerly for El Pres's version of that report. Its so RICH with potential.

When you play away you get shit loads of abuse of someone who you'll never see again, who cares, but when you are getting abused by "people" who live in your city, know your face, walk your streets etc, it would shit any of us up. I say draw a line under this an lets get behind Cox, Fraser, El Abd and Robbo:albion: :albion:

Since he is on the receiving end, I think he has a right, as a young player on our books for quite a while, to feel rather hurt by the abuse.

Easy 10, you are on the wrong course with this - this is a player who GIVES A SHIT, and you call him a wuss? Don't you get it? He gives a shit, he cares about wearing the stripes!

You are being a :tosser:

Cox and Robinson, among others, deserve support, and certainly better than this sort of f***ing crap.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tom Hark said:
What? PRE-match abuse on a player not long out the youth team. At a HOME match? At the good old library that is Withdean? Not surprised he was shocked.

I still choose to believe the pre-match thing didn't actually happen, so ridiculous is the notion. I mean, was nobody stood next to these cretins? Did nobody have a word? Were the stewards all fully occupied monitoring H Block? Just doesn't ring true.
Naah, there's no way its been fabricated. We do have a minority of retarded fans with certain issues - I'd be more incredulous at the whole thing being made up, as it would serve no porpois whatsoever.

dolphin.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Naah, there's no way its been fabricated. We do have a minority of retarded fans with certain issues - I'd be more incredulous at the whole thing being made up, as it would serve no porpois whatsoever.

dolphin.jpg

What's that, Flipper, the lads are trapped in the old athletics stadium? :lol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
NMH said:
Since he is on the receiving end, I think he has a right, as a young player on our books for quite a while, to feel rather hurt by the abuse.

Easy 10, you are on the wrong course with this - this is a player who GIVES A SHIT, and you call him a wuss? Don't you get it? He gives a shit, he cares about wearing the stripes!

You are being a :tosser:

Cox and Robinson, among others, deserve support, and certainly better than this sort of f***ing crap.
We all GIVE A SHIT, NMH. And I don't doubt for a second that he cares about wearing the stripes - have I ever questioned that ? And they deserve our support while they are wearing the stripes.

All I'm saying is that if a few twats dishing some stick during the warm-up affects him this badly, hurts him this deeply, then emotionally he doesn't appear to be particularly well prepared for the rigours of professional football does he.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Easy 10 said:
he needs to TOUGHEN UP a bit, get a bit of "f*** YOU" attitude, .

What like El-Abd? I thought it was less than a week ago he got crucified on here for excactly that.

I doubt the wankers who abused cox & Robinson would dare to have a pop at the full sized players , perhaps Butters ,El-Abd , Bas & co should be given a few minutes to "have a quite word"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
the wanderbus said:
What like El-Abd? I thought it was less than a week ago he got crucified on here for excactly that.
*sigh*
Do we REALLY need to go back and explain the different situations in all this.
Again ?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yep - he's being an utter tart. Don't whine about it, he's a footballer in the public eye and should expect abuse. Instead of sulking in the Argus, go and prove a point on the field, instead of the fairly average performances he's put in since December.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
the wanderbus said:
perhaps Butters ,El-Abd , Bas & co should be given a few minutes to "have a quite word"

To be fair butters or bas are hardly scary :lolol: El-Abd on the other hand :eek:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Del Boy said:
To be fair butters or bas are hardly scary :lolol: El-Abd on the other hand :eek:
Pah. You only need to LOOK at El Abd and he collapses in a writhing heap on the floor *

* I'm not willing to try this unless a referee is present though

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here