Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Charlie past his sell by date?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Discuss ....

An Albion legend but Oatway was an embarrassment at Burnley (IMHO)

He left the middle of the park empty to allow their midfielders to run at us, seemed to show no connection with Chippy or Butters behind him. He seems to be playing at least a division above his ability. Tho must admit Nicolas didn't look much better when he came on. Both lost tackles and more worryingly gave the ball away at crucial moments - often after 3 or 4 players had strung a promising move together

With a midfield selection including including Frutos, Carole, Jarret, Hammond and Chippy, OGH and Reid (when all fit) we are okay ... but the strength in depth is still a concern.

Last edited:

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
Our midfield needs either Carpenter or Hammond in it, if not both.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
This just shows the limitations of our squad when players aren't available but a point isn't a bad result on the road.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
On the Left Wing said:
Discuss ....

An Albion legend but Oatway was an embarrassment at Burnley (IMHO)

He left the middle of the park empty to allow their midfielders to run at us, seemed to show no connection with Chippy or Butters behind him. He seems to be playing at least a division above his ability. Tho must admit Nicolas didn't look much better when he came on. Both lost tackles and more worryingly gave the ball away at crucial moments - often after 3 or 4 players had strung a promising move together

With a midfield selection including including Frutos, Carole, Jarret, Hammond and Chippy, OGH and Reid (when all fit) we are okay ... but the strength in depth is still a concern.

He is defo past his sell-by date. He has been an awesome servant to the club but imho he just does not posses the quality to compete in this league. Hammond and chippy will contine to be the midfield for us and Oatway will have to be content on the bench.

Also what about Kerry Mayo? Anybody think he is also past his sell-by date?

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Dunno ... I'm torn about Mayo. I think he did a reasonable job yesterday ... when he plays well he really is an asset, but as shown last season, he can be inconsistent and then become a liability ... but still reckon he gives away less penalties than that nancy Harding did for us last season!!

:lolol:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Just saw the penalty seemed very harsh.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Thought it was a fair decision; Kerry f***ed up and let McGreal get goal-side, then could only hold him back. Granted, it happens a lot from corners - Hammond was being pulled all over the place last week, but still a foul.

johnny jigsaw

"My life's in pieces"
Re: Re: Is Charlie past his sell by date?

DAMANCLAY said:
Also what about Kerry Mayo? Anybody think he is also past his sell-by date?

When Malcolm Stewart ran on to treat Leon Knight (or was it Seb Carole?) in front of the Albion fans (that was my match highlight, along with seeing that bloke off the double-glazing advert "you buy one, you get one free!"), I couldn't help thinking that he got there much quicker than Kerry Mayo would have been able to.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Is Charlie past his sell by date?

johnny jigsaw said:
When Malcolm Stewart ran on to treat Leon Knight (or was it Seb Carole?) in front of the Albion fans (that was my match highlight, along with seeing that bloke off the double-glazing advert "you buy one, you get one free!"), I couldn't help thinking that he got there much quicker than Kerry Mayo would have been able to.

Yep, He is so slow. Even though Harding did make a few mistakes he was better then Kerry. when Dodd comes back i expect he will play left back with Reid switching back to RIGHT.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Charlie did give the ball away several times with sloppy passing but on the other hand did put in some crucial tackles. The penalty decision was still dubious after watching it on tele, OK Kerry was wrong sided but as a player youre there to defend the six yard box and McGreal was lucky to get the decision as Kerry was shoved fractionally beforehand. At the end of the day the manager puts out what he thinks is the best side to overcome the opposition - sometimes we agree , sometimes we disagree - personally I think MM is doing an excellent job considering our limited financial resources in comparison to other clubs in the
Championship.

p.s. when we sung "there's only one Malcolm Stuart" we expected him to give the crowd a wave but he didn't.

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
On the Left Wing said:
Discuss ....

An Albion legend...

eeerrr No, he is certainly NOT a legend!

and yes its time for him to move on, Hammond should always start from now on...unless he gets another virus of course!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
seagullsovergrimsby said:
Charlie did give the ball away several times with sloppy passing but on the other hand did put in some crucial tackles. The penalty decision was still dubious after watching it on tele, OK Kerry was wrong sided but as a player youre there to defend the six yard box and McGreal was lucky to get the decision as Kerry was shoved fractionally beforehand. At the end of the day the manager puts out what he thinks is the best side to overcome the opposition - sometimes we agree , sometimes we disagree - personally I think MM is doing an excellent job considering our limited financial resources in comparison to other clubs in the Championship.

I think we can all agree that MM is doing a excellent job. Were discussing if its time for Oatway to move on. To be honest id much prefer to see Nicholas in front of Oatway in the pecking order. Nicholas looked very good at stages last season then just seemed to disappear! Oatway is too slow and not techinally gifted another to compete in this league.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
My opinion is that both Charlie and Chippy will be let go at the end of the season. They have served the club well but other players such as Deano are coming through the ranks.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Damn this is getting so old. If we don't win a game that we're supposed to somebody always has to be a scapegoat. Last week it was McShane for example. Usually it's Charlie or a goal keeper or Leon for missing a sitter.

Get with the program, we have to make do with what we've got.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
seagullsovergrimsby said:
My opinion is that both Charlie and Chippy will be let go at the end of the season. They have served the club well but other players such as Deano are coming through the ranks.

I expect Oatway to go but chippy to stay he can still do a job for us in Midfield. I expect Chippy to be gone after next season.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
just difference of opinion in what makes a legend, to me he's not but others (as you say) he is.

I'm certainly not a new fan :smokin:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Marc said:
just difference of opinion in what makes a legend, to me he's not but others (as you say) he is.

I'm certainly not a new fan :smokin:

Didnt think you were a new fan thats why i worded the sentence that way. What in your opinion constitutes a legend then? Who are "Albion Legends" in your book? Just out of interest.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
You could argue that any player who's played in three divisions with us and has seen three promotions is a legend. I think only Charlie, Kerry and Chippy can say that. I might have missed somebody I know.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
bhaexpress said:
You could argue that any player who's played in three divisions with us and has seen three promotions is a legend. I think only Charlie, Kerry and Chippy can say that. I might have missed somebody I know.

True, I suppose you would have to include players that have now left the club in that as well though e.g. Jonah, Watto & Bobby. But I dont consider any of them last 3 as legends.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here