Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Burke the stumbling block?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Why have you left out Agustein, Dobbie,Rodreguez, Obika, Lita, Monakana and Andrews

Dobbie was a good signing but Gus didn't play him. Rodriguez, Obika , Lita weren't successes but did we need them ? Its a bit of a moot point. We reached the play offs with the sqaud and these three were back up who in the end hardly played or had to play anyway. Rodriguez wasn't even in the 18 when the squad was fit towards the end of the season. Agustien and Monakana . Lets see. I said there had been signings that haven't worked out. There always will be. But did we have squads in the last two seasons that could / should have given us a chance of promotion ? I'd say yes and given our budget then thats an achievement for the existing set up.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Maybe it's me but I see that as a good thing. Each agent should know that they can't get away with outrageous demands when we sit down with them. We'll deal but on our terms, not theirs.

I don't think it's his hard bargaining that Pickles is referring to Jim but his overall attitude as a person.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
The only thing bizarre on this board is people who believe everything the club want you too.

It's even more bizarre when people don't believe anything the club they supposedly support says, when it is having arguably the most successful period in its history, and consults more with the fans that virtually every other club in the country. I don't understand it, if I had no trust whatsoever in the people running the club I support, I would either be looking to do something about it like we did before, or I'd withdraw my support and not go anymore.

Of course, there is a chance that these people are just serial moaners who are unhappy with their lot in life and rather than do something about it they just moan and complain at every opportunity, regardless of how good or bad the situation is. I'm sure our chum Kevtherev isn't one of these though.

Maybe it's me but I see that as a good thing. Each agent should know that they can't get away with outrageous demands when we sit down with them. We'll deal but on our terms, not theirs.

That's what I thought as well, but it depends why they don't want to deal with him. If it's because he doesn't take any shit and won't give in to outrageous demands then great, I'm glad he's on board. If it's because he's difficult to deal with and is poor at his job them we have a problem. But who really knows?

As someone else said earlier, no departing club staff have taken a swipe at Burke on their way out. If he really is a big problem then I would have expected Poyet, Oscar or one of the departing senior pros to have at least alluded to it.

I have to say I'm less concerned about the situation now Oscar has gone back to Tel Aviv. That decision makes me think that he didn't enjoy the pressures of being the main man at an English football club, rather than having a major problem with the set up of the Albion. He would have got another job in this country in the Championship or above, no problem. He clearly didn't want one.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
The only thing bizarre on this board is people who believe everything the club want you too.

....or believe nothing the club says? There are far too many on here that will believe every conspiracy theory floated by anyone that starts their post with 'I was talking to.....'

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
..." The problem you have at your club is David Burke. Never was a man more aptly named "....not my words but those of a contact who has worked at the highest level of the game ( top two divisions + Europe ) for more than 25 years.

Pathetic post. If this was actually said then why do YOU give anonymity to the speaker. There is no need, if anyone says something like this they should be prepared to be quoted. So why not!?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
It's even more bizarre when people don't believe anything the club they supposedly support says, when it is having arguably the most successful period in its history, and consults more with the fans that virtually every other club in the country. I don't understand it, if I had no trust whatsoever in the people running the club I support, I would either be looking to do something about it like we did before, or I'd withdraw my support and not go anymore.

Of course, there is a chance that these people are just serial moaners who are unhappy with their lot in life and rather than do something about it they just moan and complain at every opportunity, regardless of how good or bad the situation is. I'm sure our chum Kevtherev isn't one of these though.

That's what I thought as well, but it depends why they don't want to deal with him. If it's because he doesn't take any shit and won't give in to outrageous demands then great, I'm glad he's on board. If it's because he's difficult to deal with and is poor at his job them we have a problem. But who really knows?

As someone else said earlier, no departing club staff have taken a swipe at Burke on their way out. If he really is a big problem then I would have expected Poyet, Oscar or one of the departing senior pros to have at least alluded to it.

I have to say I'm less concerned about the situation now Oscar has gone back to Tel Aviv. That decision makes me think that he didn't enjoy the pressures of being the main man at an English football club, rather than having a major problem with the set up of the Albion. He would have got another job in this country in the Championship or above, no problem. He clearly didn't want one.

It depends what you gauge as success. We have done fantastic I agree. But no more than we should have been with whats gone in at the club.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

Sadly, I'm afraid you're living in cloud cuckoo land and I don't mean that as an insult.

Agents, both for players and managers, have so much more power in football than they should do and this influences a clubs reputation.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's not just about fees though is it. The club will have a wage structure and it appears Bournemouth were willing to pay Grabban a lot more than us, possibly with a signing on fee for the new contract or something similar.

...and where is Grabban now?.......I think that tells you everything about the individual and his motives.[/QUOTE]

And who can blame him!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I don't think it's his hard bargaining that Pickles is referring to Jim but his overall attitude as a person.

I don't know enough about Burke to comment on his abilities but from what we all know about agents I would say it's more likely to be because they are poor at their jobs and have been used to getting their own way with each club they go to. Most of these agents are ex-pro's or wheeler-dealers who can spot a desperate 'client' a mile off and take advantage. They'll play one club off against the other, knowing that they'll get their way because the need is so great. I'm quite certain the Grabban situation is played out in boardrooms throughout the world. In most cases the agent will get what they demand - after all, what's a couple of grand per week extra when we're about to sign the superstar that will get us promoted?

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Sadly, I'm afraid you're living in cloud cuckoo land and I don't mean that as an insult.

Agents, both for players and managers, have so much more power in football than they should do and this influences a clubs reputation.

So you're an advocate of meeting every demand from the agent to close the deal? What are your views on getting promoted to the PL - should we ignore FFP and just spend what it takes?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It depends what you gauge as success. We have done fantastic I agree. But no more than we should have been with whats gone in at the club.

"We have done fantastic I agree".

What? So why are you always moaning? I genuinely do not understand it.

For what it's worth, I agree. Play-offs were the target for the 2nd and 3rd seasons back in the Championship, and we achieved it. We're about where we should be. Let's hope we can now push on from here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If David Burke wasn't good at his job, we know from experience that Tony Bloom is not afraid to sack anyone.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Pathetic post. If this was actually said then why do YOU give anonymity to the speaker. There is no need, if anyone says something like this they should be prepared to be quoted. So why not!?

Pretty harsh.
I was in conversation with the individual ( who I do business with ) and we were discussing all things football. I asked him if he had heard any rumours re BHA and the new manager and he hadn't. He mentioned various names connected with us, that he has had dealings with and without any prompting, the comment re DB ensued. He went on to describe DB in more detail but I will leave those comments with myself.
Like many posters on here, who have a source, I am not prepared to reveal his identity. I didn't when fed inside info re Poyet and Reading and I don't intend to start now. I have already stated that the individual has worked in professional football for a long time and if people on here don't want to believe me, then tough.
A lot of the gossip and speculation on NSC is as a result of unnamed sources and fans wishing to share that information with a wider audience. Most sources aren't revealed, as the posters want to retain that confidentiality and hopefully pick up more juicy bits of gossip and retain that friendship/contact.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The gauge for whether David Burke is doing a good job for the club is the fact that he is still employed. When he stops doing a good job he will booted out. But I doubt that the structure will change in that event.

I don't see our club structure as a stumbling block. The fact that we have a budget that we want to stick too rigidly probably is, but then the way I see it is that football is in yet another period of transition. Some clubs are trying to be prudent and others are not. We have yet to see any FFP sanctions and whether they will effect certain other clubs outlook. Maybe in a few years, the playing field will have levelled out a bit but until then, we are bound to lose players to other, higher spending clubs and certain managers will not see us as an attractive club because we do not want to splash the cash on the managers whim - not because of David Burke or whoever the DoF is.

The type of manager we want is someone who can get the best out what we have and those players we can get in within our wage structure. The job is a challenge and they will not have an open cheque book to try to buy success. Anyone who turns down that challenge is not a top manager as far as I am concerned.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Mo, I mentioned something similar to this recently on another thread and to be fair, was treated seriously about it.

You and I both know that David Burke IS a problem within The Albion, and I'm afraid it's not his position that's the problem ( although, saying that, it may well be to some. )

It really is him with his attitude.

There are 3 agents now that I know of that really don't don't want to deal with him.

Your comments seem to bear out what I have been told. It seems to be all about attitude and dealing with people.
TB may have employed him as a hard nosed negotiator but if the majority of contacts don't want to deal with him and his arrogance, then it would appear to be self-defeating.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Your comments seem to bear out what I have been told. It seems to be all about attitude and dealing with people.
TB may have employed him as a hard nosed negotiator but if the majority of contacts don't want to deal with him and his arrogance, then it would appear to be self-defeating.

Tony Bloom is an intelligent man so surely he can see that.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

We are gambling on FFP and that's a very open secret. One of the aims is to reduce wage inflation particularly in the FL72. If it is successful then players who have been used to their agents taking the mickey are suddenly going to question why they are giving a percentage of their wage to a guy who couldn't negotiate it up. FFP has the potential to reduce the agent's role in negotiations or at least limit them to the Premier League. I think the club are 100% right in this strategy.

If you were a mid to low ranking agent suddenly seeing purse strings tightening and hard nosed negotiators being employed by clubs you'd bad mouth them too for fear of your gravy train derailing.

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
I understand that it was a problem for Gus and also for Oscar. Not him necessarily but the recruitment policy with non-football people sourcing players on behalf of the coaching team. Often players that they didn't want or need.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
..." The problem you have at your club is David Burke. Never was a man more aptly named "....not my words but those of a contact who has worked at the highest level of the game ( top two divisions + Europe ) for more than 25 years.

This worries me, as I regard MG as a reliable poster.

I know....I could have mentioned other more damning comments re DB but decided this was enough to be getting on with.

Not good.

Mo, I mentioned something similar to this recently on another thread and to be fair, was treated seriously about it.

You and I both know that David Burke IS a problem within The Albion, and I'm afraid it's not his position that's the problem ( although, saying that, it may well be to some. )

It really is him with his attitude.

There are 3 agents now that I know of that really don't don't want to deal with him.

Not good at all.

If David Burke wasn't good at his job, we know from experience that Tony Bloom is not afraid to sack anyone.

However, this post is very true, and I trust that Tony will indeed pull the trigger if or when he perceives there is a real problem.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Licker = Someone who hasn't the brains to think things for themselves and follows whatever the club says without question

Oh, the deliciously inadvertent irony!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here