Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is Britain's Countryside too white?

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I think we all know rural areas are higher fraction white British than city centers.

I'm not sure the thread title did this tweet justice. Feels like a tabloid summary trying to provoke opinions (which it did)

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
I've been in scores of country pubs and never had that happen to me. Rural pubs are not all like the opening scene to American Werewolf.

I've also been in plenty with nothing to report and i'm sure many BAME people have too but sometimes it does happen, regardless of skin colour.

* I get stares here in some places, maybe because i'm quite obviously different but I don't care!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Saw a comment on there that some chick took a black friend into a village pub and he got stared at so much he felt uncomfortable and left. I've been stared at in village/country pubs before, even had comments made about me so I can obviously hear them and i'm very very white, it's just what they do to non-locals isn't it?

I've had this happen also. It's a locals pub thing, it can be intimidating but dealing with it is all about confidence. Can see how that becomes doubly difficult when you're the only black person in the pub though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I've had this happen also. It's a locals pub thing, it can be intimidating but dealing with it is all about confidence. Can see how that becomes doubly difficult when you're the only black person in the pub though.

definately a local pub thing, been in city or country pubs and had the "are you from these parts" look, from both white or black punters.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can see it from their perspective. The rural areas are known for their somewhat 'Daily Express' attitudes.

Funny isn't it? It's fine to make a generalisation like that because it's about white people. The other way round and you'd be pilloried. That's where it all gets a bit silly - kick out racism, yes, absolutely, but there's a huge difference between the American police beating up and killing black men and a commentator innocently describing a player as big or fast or powerful when that player is big or fast or powerful.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
On the whole city dwellers seem to rarely visit the countryside, regardless of colour, tens of thousands of white city children have never seen a cow, why would BAME city dwellers be any different?

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I have a good friend, British Asian, 3rd generation. He's a doctor, and in all of his principles and behaviours far more British than I (White British) will ever be.

In the last couple of years on cycling trips to the New Forest, the Cotswolds, and the Brecon Beacons, he had 'Palki!!!' shouted at him from cars and vans. This never happens to him in Brighton where he lives, or in London where he works.

This is only one man's experience but is consistently happening to him in rural locations.

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
There are simple historical reasons for the racial profile of certain areas. London has a large number of people of West Indies descent because so many were invited over to work there, on London Transport for example. If they had been brought over to work on farms, then the countryside might be less white, but they weren't.

It's sad to admit that I watch Midsomer Murders, but the number of black actors in supporting roles in the most recent series was clearly reflective of a target set for TV production companies rather than being in any way representative of the actual demographic of rural areas. Now that's a difficult one, because of course black actors are entitled to an equal chance to get jobs, but at the expense of realism? (Not that anyone in their right mind would accuse the bizarre world of Midsomer Murders as realistic in any way).

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We used to stop for lunch on the way to Fontwell races at a pub in Westergate called The Labour In Vain. The pub sign was something else :eek:
Out of curiosity I looked up the sign and came across this article in the Mail about a similarly named pub in Staffordshire. I then had a peek at the comments Section and clicked on “worst rated” to see what Mail readers (who bother to comment) find objectionable. It was quite an interesting insight.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...Labour-Vain-pub-racism-row-historic-sign.html

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Could it possibly be something to do with there actually being more white people in the U.K!?

Saw a comment on there that some chick took a black friend into a village pub and he got stared at so much he felt uncomfortable and left. I've been stared at in village/country pubs before, even had comments made about me so I can obviously hear them and i'm very very white, it's just what they do to non-locals isn't it?

I've been in scores of country pubs and never had that happen to me. Rural pubs are not all like the opening scene to American Werewolf.

I've also been in plenty with nothing to report and i'm sure many BAME people have too but sometimes it does happen, regardless of skin colour.

* I get stares here in some places, maybe because i'm quite obviously different but I don't care!

definately a local pub thing, been in city or country pubs and had the "are you from these parts" look, from both white or black punters.

In my experience, this is FAR more of a thing in neighbourhood pubs than country / village pubs. WAY more so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here