Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Billy Sharp Worth the £1million+ Investment??

well...

• Yes - lets take the English leagues by storm

Votes: 53 36.8%
  • Yes - but only if we sell Murray

Votes: 38 26.4%
  • Undecided - it is a huge gamble

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • No Way - he wont cut it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • We dont have that kind of money so stop dreaming

Votes: 27 18.8%
  • We dont need to add to the sqaud

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Sharp is a gobby little shite who we shouldnt touch!

Votes: 6 4.2%

• Total voters

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Over the course of our rebuilding we've spent what ...... £300k tops ~(lynch money included)

Can't see in a million years why we would suddenly spend 1m

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I do think Murray will be involved in the deal if it did happen and as, like Sharp for us, he would be a sound investment for United.

Aren't sheffield selling Sharp because they have a surplus of strikers? If so why would they take Murray?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
......I agree,if murray goes for 600 k plus .

I can't see want-away-Glenn going for anything near that wedge, quite honestly. We'll be doing bloody well to get our money back on him now. Getting Sharp in would be a massive coup for us, but I ain't holding my breath. Mind you, stranger things have happened haven't they? :thumbsup:

ps GET HIM IN NOW, TONY!!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
According to Bet Fred you can still get 16 to 1 for Albion to win League 1.

If this deal goes through watch these odds tumble. Tony Bloom could lay off some of his risk on these odds prior to any deal.

If it does happen I for one would be bleedin excited.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I would say IF we sign Sharp Murray we be on his way out..

I don't know. We have forsters knees giving him trouble, hart in the twilight of his career, davies might put last season's misses behind him, or he may struggle. We'd be left with dickinson and sharp, with limited back up options. Perhaps Murray would be kept until at least january, just in case.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Aren't sheffield selling Sharp because they have a surplus of strikers? If so why would they take Murray?

This is what I thought but I've been reading that they are after Leroy Lita.
I've seen a rumour today that he (Lita) looks set to join Middlesboro so maybe the Blades will opt to keep Sharp.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Having lived in both cities, I would much rather be in Brighton. Very friendly people in Donny, good market and some nice Georgian buildings in the centre, but it lacks the vibracy and beauty of the south coast.

On a footballing front its fantastic that clubs like Donny can bid for players like this, when I was up their they were on their knees playing in a crap stadium. Looks like we may be on our way to a similar path.

Its all about money, how much has Bloom got to throw at us, if its a lot, it may way talk. Lets hope so its been years since we have been awash with strikers, 2-1 down with 10 minutes to go, lets stick 4 up front and go for it.

Brighton, location, location, location..........................Donny, championship football this year

Not convinced that an ambitious Northern footballer is gonna give a toss about how "nice" Brighton is, and Donny may or may not be in the Championship next year but if I was forced to place a bet today as to whether Donny or Albion are more likely to be kicking of next season in the Championship, I wouldn't be betting on the Albion.

I like your thinking, but it's unfortunately a Brighton FAN's thinking and wouldn't convince me if I was Billy Sharp...we are also highly unlikely to offer more money in his pocket than a Championship club will.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I don't know. We have forsters knees giving him trouble, hart in the twilight of his career, davies might put last season's misses behind him, or he may struggle. We'd be left with dickinson and sharp, with limited back up options. Perhaps Murray would be kept until at least january, just in case.

Perhaps Murray might not want to leave if he see's the club splashing the cash, bringing in quality players and moving into a spanking new ground. He might tell his missus that the south's not so bad if only she gave it more of a chance...

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I like your thinking, but it's unfortunately a Brighton FAN's thinking and wouldn't convince me if I was Billy Sharp...we are also highly unlikely to offer more money in his pocket than a Championship club will.

Surely that depends on Tony Bloom's involvement in the deal? If he really wants to buy him, then who knows?

Although I do think it's unlikely that Sharp will join us.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Not convinced that an ambitious Northern footballer is gonna give a toss about how "nice" Brighton is, and Donny may or may not be in the Championship next year but if I was forced to place a bet today as to whether Donny or Albion are more likely to be kicking of next season in the Championship, I wouldn't be betting on the Albion.

Indeed. He probably wouldn't even need to move house as Donny is only about 20 miles from his home town of Sheffield.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
That's my view, the operative phrase being 'IF we can afford it'. One of the great things about Dick Knight was that he didn't make risky, expensive speculations on players we couldn't afford who perhaps 'could do a job'. Yeah fine if they did but a disater if they didn't - so Knight wisely never took the risk and we still have a club as a result.

If the club finances are sufficiently sound that risking a million is like risking 10,000 five years ago then fine. If we still need to watch the pennies then no.

What he said.....spot on!

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I f we pay £1m+ for him and he scores a shed load this season he will be worth so much more and possibly attract interest from lower prem clubs, would be one hell of an investment and i could see it paying off and then some!
However, he could be gash! (But i really doubt it)

Lush

Mods' Pet
I voted gobby little shite. A lot is being made by Big Russ of the importance of team spirit and work ethic. The last thing we need is some gobby big bollocks spoiling what is shaping up nicely into a hard working team with no-one thinking they're better than anyone else. I'm not saying that he'd be in the Leon Knight stakes, but the signs are there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here