Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Ashley Cole indicative of all that's wrong with our society?

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
what about sin bins? it seems to work OK in rugby
Could be used to calm people down and for backchatting ref. Though there'd only have been a couple of Chelski players left on the picth

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Good call Stat, someone has to take the lead in this, not to try and secure the moral high ground but to say that the club has had enough of this type of behaviour and won't tolerate it from their own players...would be a fantastic example to set, I would be proud of the Albion if we were the team to do it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I just think referees should stand their ground and not take a step back. See which of the bully-boys is actually dumb enough to lay a hand on the ref - then throw the book at them.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I just think referees should stand their ground and not take a step back. See which of the bully-boys is actually dumb enough to lay a hand on the ref - then throw the book at them.

Deduct a few points so the likes of Chelsea are struggling to qualify for the champions league and it will stop instantly or make the fines so big like a months wages that the likes of Cole and Terry won't dare open their mouths.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
When Wendy dropped Cox for his unpleasant behaviour, and we didn't win against Carlisle it was BINFEST CENTRAL here on NSC. Double standards perhaps?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

That might work with the cameras around, but a 17 year old ref would have the shit kicked out of him if he tried that on a Sunday morning match. The FA now state that about 30% of matches have no qualified referees controlling them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When Wendy dropped Cox for his unpleasant behaviour, and we didn't win against Carlisle it was BINFEST CENTRAL here on NSC. Double standards perhaps?

Not from me. But perhaps Cox might not have behaved in such a manner, in the 1st place, if from the yoof team onwards, he'd always signed a contract stating the consequences of such actions. Whether that being a rolling scale of fines, suspension, and even eventually the sack.
Admittedly El-Ad would have struggled to get a game, this year.

To me an added benefit of such a deal, and it working, would be even if it's subconciously, a ref is bound to treat us better, during the game.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
8,000 referees quit a year, according to SSN.

The whole football foundation is run by a bunch of clueless cretins. They could solve this sort of problem overnight by following th rugby model, but they have not got the guts to do it. Idle and incompetent spring to mind.

I think Ashley Cole does epitomise a portion of society. Lacking in basic respect. This went out the window when respect and education became mutually exclusive.

barney

Jul 31, 2006
8,000 referees quit a year, according to SSN.

The whole football foundation is run by a bunch of clueless cretins. They could solve this sort of problem overnight by following th rugby model, but they have not got the guts to do it. Idle and incompetent spring to mind.

I think Ashley Cole does epitomise a portion of society. Lacking in basic respect. This went out the window when respect and education became mutually exclusive.

bring back the cane and death penalty

Mar 13, 2008
That is why terry shgould not be england captain. He surrounded and shouted at the ref not to give cole a red even tho it was clear cole should have been sent off. Terry, cole and anyone else that does not respect the refs word and do this to refs should not play for england.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I don't think he's a reflection on society, more setting a bad example. There are many good men out there that would be loyal to their wives (Well, i still hope there are anyway) and set a good example, it's just the trouble makers that make more noise.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This went out the window when respect and education became mutually exclusive.

I work in educashun, and I give and get respect to and from the people I teach. It cuts both ways, once when there were people talking at a revision lecture, I simply walked out, thereafter the students policed themselves, as the good always outnumber the dickheads.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
.........and should we fans not think about our behaviour? I asked earlier if Rugby fans abuse the ref. Answer no. Yet football fans challenge the Ref's authority every game. Where do you draw the line?

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I've said it before - Chelsea players, in particular A Cole, Tery and Lampard seem to think that bully tactics will get them the desired result, be it a yellow card instead of a red, a penalty instead of a free kick on the edge of the box, or whatever. These players set a bad example to everyone and give football in general a bad press.

Wouldn't it be refreshing if Capello acted and dropped these players from the next England game (bearing in mind it is a friendly) due to behavior not befitting a professional footballer! Will it happen? Obviously not!!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
In a way, yes. He courted celebrety, found fame and fortune, got shot down by The Scum and has become fodder for the press. What he did was nothing out of the ordinary. However, what he did, coupled with him cheating on that spanner of a wife of his makes him a very easy target.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For me there are 4 changes that need to be made since this latest incident

1) Only captain can talk to the ref
2) Teams who surround the ref get a 1 point deduction
3) Regardless if a yellow was issued at game can be upgraded to red later
4) Action taken against refs for poor decisions/performances

..........why cant players/people act with civility? It's a lot easier than silly little rules.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The question over dissent is easily rectified but FIFA would not allow it- revert back to moving the ball forward 10 yds for each instance if 3 players show dissent move it forward 30 yds, if that brings the ball into the penalty area it becomes a penalty, dissent would stop overnight.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That might work with the cameras around, but a 17 year old ref would have the shit kicked out of him if he tried that on a Sunday morning match. The FA now state that about 30% of matches have no qualified referees controlling them.

Yep and if the 17 year old does hit the ref the Local FA wont really do much, a 6 month ban is the most he will get.

I gave up doing games as its not worth it, untill the local FAs start protecting refs the standards will carry on dropping at the top.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here