Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is anyone in to boats?

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
From Wikipedia...sort-of makes sense:

A ship usually has sufficient size to carry its own boats, such as lifeboats, dinghies, or runabouts. A rule of thumb saying (though it doesn't always apply) goes: "a boat can fit on a ship, but a ship can't fit on a boat".

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Is a raft classed as a boat? You can fit a boat onto a raft if it's big enough, and if it's REALLY big enough you could fit a SHIP on one. Even a SUBMARINE. It would have to be a really, really big raft though.

:clap2:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Quincy lived on a boat. Sam, his Chinese-faced slave, lived in the sea around that vessel. At the weekends, Quincy would throw his dirty plates and cups and ladels and syringes and twice-used condoms into the filmy surf that held his home. Sam would lick each item clean and pop himself and them through the circular windows on a Sunday, pre-dawn. The cupboard doors would open, Sam would place the spotless, re-packaged articles back onto the shelves that the Q preferred and then disappeared once more into the murk that imprisoned his drowned, gill-less wife.

Last edited:

The Antikythera Mechanism said:
I have a 50% share of a Hunter Legend 466 - nice boat

Indeed. The ones I am familiar with has that centre cockpit, and my issue with it was that the step on the outside edge slopes away at an angle that can almost flip you over the lifelines! Not if you are heeled over I s'pose, but personally I'd rather have them be horizontal.
They could even be gimballed I imagine - an invention that dwayne could introduce at the boat show, might even get him the dosh to buy that Sunseeker.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Barrel of Fun said:
My old Headmaster was found canoeing with a young pupil. He got the sack shortly afterwards, I have no idea why.

Do we need to check with Les to find out what 'canoeing' is?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Yachts are not boats at all. They are just unnecessary objects that enable the brainless morons aboard them to put themselves and the RNLI in grave danger.

This is a proper boat (having a refit). It's one I spent a few years working on giving me the oportunity to see, amongst many, many other priceless things, the trained yachtsman using his wife standing on the bow in the thick fog whilst heading across shipping lanes, as a radar.

Amadeus

Last edited:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
A picture from the back of my 21' cabin cruiser.

Boat1.jpg

Of course I used a picture looking back so that you wouldn't see it 30 years old.

Mind you, I haven't taken her out in 4 years - but maybe this year.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Boat story.

We once had a blind man who worked in our boat yard who could tell the type and length of a piece of wood just by smelling it.
We would slip a plank of a certain wood next to him and he would say, ''Thats a piece of African walnut, and its 4 X 2 and its 6 ft long.''
Another time I remember he was spot on was with his guess of Douglas Fur at 4 ft and 6 x2.

We tried to trick him one day by getting the old girl who worked as our secretary in the office to lie on a couple of tressles.
He walked up and down sniffing away and then he replied, ''You`re trying to trick me boys, thats a shit-house door off a trawler.''

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Juan Albion said:

Mind you, I haven't taken her out in 4 years - but maybe this year.

Maybe she won't want to go out with you, it's been four years after all. She might feel neglected.

And rightly so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here