Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is anyone going to buy the last ever News of the World?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I've never bought it in my life but part of me thinks that its passing is a historically significant event and therefore the very last issue ever printed may hold some nostalgic value in the future.

HOWEVER a far bigger part of me thinks it would be hypocritical to buy it, even the very last one, given how disgusted I am by the paper it became.

Apparently the money goes to charity and I can't see there'll be many adverts in it but I still can't bring myself to buy it. I'd love to hear that a nationwide boycott ensured the figures were minimal but I'm genuinely intrigued as to how much its being the very last EVER edition means it will get picked up by folk who wouldn't otherwise consider it.

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
Problem is, it's not the staff that are now out of jobs that are to blame. The scum that initiated the discraceful phone tapping will probably never get punished.
But in answer to the original question, NO I won't buy it. I have plent of paper to wipe my arse.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Saw a good TwopTwips on Twitter the other day:

TABLOID HACKS. Sick of all being tarred with the same brush? There's a lesson there somewhere.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I imagine it will be one of the biggest selling editions they've had.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Hopefully it won't be issued ( from a regular buyer).

I've never bought it in my life but part of me thinks that its passing is a historically significant event and therefore the very last issue ever printed may hold some nostalgic value in the future.

HOWEVER a far bigger part of me thinks it would be hypocritical to buy it, even the very last one, given how disgusted I am by the paper it became.

Apparently the money goes to charity and I can't see there'll be many adverts in it but I still can't bring myself to buy it. I'd love to hear that a nationwide boycott ensured the figures were minimal but I'm genuinely intrigued as to how much its being the very last EVER edition means it will get picked up by folk who wouldn't otherwise consider it.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
They might go out in a blaze of glory announcing we've signed Michael Owen, Jonathan Woodgate and Jon Arne Riise on the back page.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was aware that the Church of England had investments in a number of surprising places, but wasn't aware of their 3.8 million News International shares.

:facepalm:

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
in my opinion, News International have, even though on the back of yet more tragic circumstances, taken the cynical opportunity to close the NOTW and start the Sunday Sun. Apparently, the domain names had already been applied for, so what a great opportunity for the paper, gain maximum plaudits, gain record sales for the final NOTW, and accomplish what had already been planned previously. Are they being opportunistic, or am I simply being over cynical of the good lord Murdoch and the Ginger Queen Rebekah?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Problem is, it's not the staff that are now out of jobs that are to blame. The scum that initiated the discraceful phone tapping will probably never get punished.
But in answer to the original question, NO I won't buy it. I have plent of paper to wipe my arse.

I agree the staff there now were not to blame, however they seem more than happy to take all the credit for all the good things that have come from the paper over the years ! If they weren't there when the hacking took place then they werent there for the campaigns like sarahs law etc.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
A newsagent I know has ordered twice the normal amount,it had already the biggest circulation in the world so it's going out with a bang!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
A newsagent I know has ordered twice the normal amount,it had already the biggest circulation in the world so it's going out with a bang!

I cant believe that for a minute. Surely there are papers in China/India/USA with a larger circulation.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Sky news were just live at a London news agents and said they are already selling 50 more NOTW per hour than they would normally.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I expect plenty of people will buy it solely for the historical value. After all, 168 years is a long print run. However, I never bought it when it was a going concern so I'm not about to start now.

hunter121

Banned
Mar 17, 2011
News International have, even though on the back of yet more tragic circumstances, taken the cynical opportunity to close the NOTW and start the Sunday Sun.
10.jpg

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
i will not be purchasing, feel sorry for the innocents that have lost there jobs but it was a disgrace what the newspaper had previously done

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Anyone who thinks snapping up numerous copies because "they'll be worth a fortune in the future" is a bit deluded, I think.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I will buy it as usual becausde I think that it is by far the best paper for football coverage of league football despite all the shouting about The Times Telegraph etc. No doubt the new Sunday Paper will be just an updated version of it, and hopefully have the same football coverage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here