Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else really proud of our fans tonight…

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I was there tonight with my two young kids. Every single person I came across was absolutely fantastic. Fantastic with the kids, moving out the way and lifting them up on to the row behind so they could see better, constantly making sure they were OK, fist bumping them and telling them how lucky they were etc. Not a hint of bother anywhere, and one of the best atmosphere’s I’ve ever experienced anywhere.

A superb experience all round, made even better by the fantastic England fans.

Anyone moaning about them for some bad things a minority of people did 30 years ago should get a life. Times change.

Extremely proud to be an England fan tonight.

Great to have big crowds back in stadia. Fantastic noise from the England fans all game, really helping us to an historic win. Being there would have been incredible. I'll have to live with running round my mate's front room when the second went in before he nearly flattened me. :lol:

Well done England and England fans :thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think the definition of racism has changed over the years to become something more than just about skin colour, but to be honest whether it was racist or nationalistic makes little difference, it is still born out of the same lack of respect for other races/nations.

It’s only a couple of minutes of your life, chat to a mate, go to the loo, anything really other than boo!

Of course it matters. Language matters. Communication matters. It is wonderfully ironic that so many people complain about the intelligence of others whilst failing to understand the difference between racism and xenophobia and in this case good old fashioned pantomime. As has already been said this stuff just undermines the fight against actual racism. Anyway, the team and support were brilliant last night and it’s just a shame some people would rather seek out negatives to confirm their life view.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No I know it wasn’t meant to be, don’t worry.

My kids are still absolutely buzzing from last night. It was my youngest’s first ever game!

If your kids are buzzing so are you, not much beats something like last night when you are there,, especially when you are sharing it with your kids. I completely get why that feels like your best ever football experience. Your kids will remember it for life

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Of course it matters. Language matters. Communication matters. It is wonderfully ironic that so many people complain about the intelligence of others whilst failing to understand the difference between racism and xenophobia and in this case good old fashioned pantomime. As has already been said this stuff just undermines the fight against actual racism. Anyway, the team and support were brilliant last night and it’s just a shame some people would rather seek out negatives to confirm their life view.

Spot on. And it’s a football match. It’s a pantomime. Should we respect Palace and their anthem of Glad All Over?

I actually wish people wouldn’t boo national anthems, but not because of anything to do with respect. Just because it adds to the theatre of it if the anthems are loud. I went to the England v Scotland game and both national anthems were drowned out, which was a shame, it would have added to the spectacle much more if they had been bellowed out loud and proud. Although I expect some people will be claiming that is racist next.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If your kids are buzzing so are you, not much beats something like last night when you are there,, especially when you are sharing it with your kids. I completely get why that feels like your best ever football experience. Your kids will remember it for life

My concern is that the Amex is going to feel a bit tame for them after that!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

I didn’t want to carry this on, but as you’ve pulled me up again I thought I should lay my opinion to rest.

I had previously, long before this thread, checked the definition of racism, for something work related, whether it was restricted to difference of colour and or characteristics, and found this from the Equality and Human Rights Commission...

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/race-discrimination#what

...where they clearly say ... “ In the Equality Act, race can mean your colour, or your nationality (including your citizenship). It can also mean your ethnic or national origins, which may not be the same as your current nationality.

Now I may be misinterpreting that, but there is a distinct OR in that definition of racial equality and discrimination. Or maybe there is a difference between racial discrimination and racism, which could be where my confusion lies.

If I have misunderstood I stand corrected...!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
40’000 ‘up for it’ genuine fans who really wanted to be there after over a year of not being able to attend games sounded 100% better compared to a full Wembley with a load of corporates and football tourists diluting the atmosphere.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I didn’t want to carry this on, but as you’ve pulled me up again I thought I should lay my opinion to rest.

I had previously, long before this thread, checked the definition of racism, for something work related, whether it was restricted to difference of colour and or characteristics, and found this from the Equality and Human Rights Commission...

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/race-discrimination#what

...where they clearly say ... “ In the Equality Act, race can mean your colour, or your nationality (including your citizenship). It can also mean your ethnic or national origins, which may not be the same as your current nationality.

Now I may be misinterpreting that, but there is a distinct OR in that definition of racial equality and discrimination. Or maybe there is a difference between racial discrimination and racism, which could be where my confusion lies.

If I have misunderstood I stand corrected...!

No, it’s fine. Incorrect use of language is just a bugbear of mine. The stuff you quote may explain why so many are misusing the word. Looks like I am fighting a losing battle :)

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Nearest I will have to been proud of football supporters is for those that travel up and down the country following there club . Of course this includes Albion supporters that do this but just as much followers of small clubs. Will never forget a cold wet mid week evening at Withdean when there was about 12 away supporters of I think Rochdale

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I can’t find anywhere to post this, and it’s probably not worth a new thread. I was thrilled with last night’s result BUT although I was excited and loved cheering the goals going in, my elation was nothing like the elation I feel when the Albion score. That’s all :shrug:

I was thinking before the game that I was looking forward to it, without the pre-match angst I get with any Albion game. I'm not sure whether it's an age thing, but my affinity with BHA has grown and grown over the years, whereas my desire to see an England victory seems to have waned slightly. Anyway, the result was that I thoroughly enjoyed the last 10 mins of yesterday's game with very little concern that Germany would get back into it. I wish I could be so relaxed at an Albion game!

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Maybe I'm the only one who thought the crowd were pretty quiet until the goals went in ? The goal celebrations were amazing though, old school.

As for booing of the anthem , who cares !! I think it's great. If I was going away to a full German stadium and they were booing the English anthem I would absolutely love it....gets you really fired up for the occasion. National anthems are so meaningless and outdated anyway.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Spot on. And it’s a football match. It’s a pantomime. Should we respect Palace and their anthem of Glad All Over?

I actually wish people wouldn’t boo national anthems, but not because of anything to do with respect. Just because it adds to the theatre of it if the anthems are loud. I went to the England v Scotland game and both national anthems were drowned out, which was a shame, it would have added to the spectacle much more if they had been bellowed out loud and proud. Although I expect some people will be claiming that is racist next.

I'm split on this. Although since I don't care about it I'll probably cope.

On the one hand, I think there's a difference between booing a club anthem and a country's anthem. I guess it feels bit rude to people who are either guests in our country or are welcoming our fans in theirs to boo the other country's anthem.

On the other hand, I think anybody who's that bothered by their national anthem is probably a bit of a weirdo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here