Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is anyone else embarrassed by the booing of the German national anthem

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Have I missed this being discussed elsewhere, but it seems that alongside the laser incident, UEFA are charging England over the booing of the anthem. This does seem a little unfair given that other anthems have been booed by other teams as well - it's just a bit more noticeable with our bigger home crowds.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-england-charged-uefa-over-24487910

"Disciplinary proceedings have been opened following the UEFA EURO 2020 semi-final match between England and Denmark (2-1), played on 7 July at Wembley Stadium, London.

Charges against England :

- Use of laser pointer by its supporters - Article 16(2)(d) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations (DR)
- Disturbance caused by its supporters during the national anthem - Article 16(2)(g) DR
- Lighting of fireworks by its supporters - Article 16(2)(c) DR
The case will be dealt with by the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) in due course."

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Have I missed this being discussed elsewhere, but it seems that alongside the laser incident, UEFA are charging England over the booing of the anthem. This does seem a little unfair given that other anthems have been booed by other teams as well - it's just a bit more noticeable with our bigger home crowds.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-england-charged-uefa-over-24487910

"Disciplinary proceedings have been opened following the UEFA EURO 2020 semi-final match between England and Denmark (2-1), played on 7 July at Wembley Stadium, London.

- Use of laser pointer by its supporters - Article 16(2)(d) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations (DR)
- Disturbance caused by its supporters during the national anthem - Article 16(2)(g) DR
The case will be dealt with by the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) in due course."

Clearly its OK to boo the Germans, but the Danes are just too nice

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Italians boo'd the Spanish
Germans boo'd the Hungarians...

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Hope the Italian anthem ( as great as it is ) gets slaughtered on Sunday

Show the passion lads

@GaryLineker
If you’re lucky enough to get a ticket for the final, please, please don’t boo the Italian anthem. A/ It’s an absolute belter and worth listening to. B/ It’s bloody rude, disrespectful and utterly classless.

I'm with Gary.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Oh well, UEFA fines are usually a few grand and a stern letter! I'm sure the FA can take it out of their bar tab and not notice.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I wouldn't boo any national anthem but it doesn't bother me if others do and it's weird that so many take great offence to it if you ask me. England fans are not alone in it are they? Anyway I reckon a loud boo drowning out GSTQ would actually be a better tune anyway.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I wouldn't boo any national anthem but it doesn't bother me if others do and it's weird that so many take great offence to it if you ask me. England fans are not alone in it are they? Anyway I reckon a loud boo drowning out GSTQ would actually be a better tune anyway.

There’s a thought, booing GSTQ would take it to another level

Maybe it’s my age and things have clearly changed in just about everything, so I accept I am a Victor Meldrew. I feel no shame in saying I am embarrassed by anthems being booed. I feel the same when entitled twats boo the Albion after a bad half or game

I guess you go with what you feel, it’s a free country

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

Ha ha. I agree with this.

I went to Wembley in 1984 when Denmark knocked us out of the Euros and the pre-match anthem booing was deafening. Almost everyone must have joined in. I wouldn't do it now - but then it was an attempt by the crowd to intimidate the opposition. To create that which the Home Office have perfected as a hostile environment. Counter-productive of course - but there we are.

Our anthem for football should of course be Three Lions.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

UEFA and ethics in the same sentence..??(lolol)where's the thumbs down ...?? marseilles , istanbul , the russian onslaught .....****ing carnage .... english lads battered and bruised....ah never mind , they deserve it ...........ever been away with England ...?? nah , thought not. the laser thing is out of order though 100%, but you can't penalise an entire association because of the actions of one bell end.....can you..?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
not as embarrassed as seeing grown men sing a song about some woman who won the biological lottery, became undemocratically elected while asking god to save her and begging that her rule will last longer.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Haha.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here