Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is a FINANCIAL incentive for kids morally WRONG ?

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Yeah, even i had 3 DT's in the 5 years i was at secondary school!!! 1 was a 10 minute, and the others were 20 minutes.

I was a rebel me

I never had any being stuck in school meant less time down the skate ramp, obviously after I did my home work :)

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
In all my years at school I think I had about 3 detentions. I think you should allow him 1 DT a month at most and that's being very generous. Any leaner and you'll have 5 grandchildren in a couple of years Granddad!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Introduce a financial incentive plan that gives a cash reward at the end of the week but which has a Duckworth Lewis type deduction system attached. Deductions could arise due to any or all of the following:

Untidy room - 10%
DT - 30% with a rising scale of 70% for 2 DTs reduced by 10% per sticky merits
Not going to watch Albion at home - 10%
Answering Back - 1%
Being rude to Mrs 10 - 5%
Not telling Mrs 10 when Easy 10 did something he shouldn't have +10%
Easy 10 discretionary -/+ % depending on mood (a bit like in Harry Potter, 5 points off Gryfyndor etc etc)

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I only ever had one detention (that I can remember) and that was for locking the Woodwork teacher (Mr Goldsmith, for those who attended Longhill) outside of the classroom as he went of to speak to the metalwork teacher in about 1985 or so. When he tried to come back in, he couldn't and we all pretended we couldn't hear him knocking to get back in. Well, seemed funny at the time !

This was the same teacher who's famous line was:-

"Whenever I open my mouth, some idiot starts talking"

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I only ever had one detention (that I can remember) and that was for locking the Woodwork teacher (Mr Goldsmith, for those who attended Longhill) outside of the classroom as he went of to speak to the metalwork teacher in about 1985 or so. When he tried to come back in, he couldn't and we all pretended we couldn't hear him knocking to get back in. Well, seemed funny at the time !

That is the best! We once locked a teacher in the cupboard - it was their fault that the lock was on the outside - they were just asking for trouble!!!

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I think it's a good idea. It's what I'd do with my own kids if I had any. Or removal of other privileges. Depends how significantly money was valued in the family.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
That is the best! We once locked a teacher in the cupboard - it was their fault that the lock was on the outside - they were just asking for trouble!!!

Absolutely, it would be rude not to !!

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
The other alternative is to offer to get him a game if he reaches a certain target e.g 30 say. If merit = a point, every detention = lose 10, then offer bonus points for achieving a number of merits in a week or not having a detention over the course of the week. As a teacher I tend to follow the same carrot and stick philosophy as it can be a good motivator though you need to keep changing the rewards otherwise they get bored of them and lose interest.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Introduce a financial incentive plan that gives a cash reward at the end of the week but which has a Duckworth Lewis type deduction system attached. Deductions could arise due to any or all of the following:

Untidy room - 10%
DT - 30% with a rising scale of 70% for 2 DTs reduced by 10% per sticky merits
Not going to watch Albion at home - 10%
Answering Back - 1%
Being rude to Mrs 10 - 5%
Not telling Mrs 10 when Easy 10 did something he shouldn't have +10%
Easy 10 discretionary -/+ % depending on mood (a bit like in Harry Potter, 5 points off Gryfyndor etc etc)

We did something very similar to that. Certain jobs around the house and things like merits and such like from school earnt extra pokcet money, then detentions and bad behaviour reductions. Seemed to work pretty well.

Apart from one particularly bad month (fell in with the wrong crowd type scenario) when she ended up owing us money
:laugh:

chip

Jul 7, 2003
Glorious Goodwood
Oh come on Chip, don't tell me you don't know DT means DeTention...or were you THAT good at school, Mr Swotty ? ;)

They had more immedeate punishments at my old school. :eek:

To be honest, I've only just understood what a PSP is.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey, I'd have been bankrupt if you'd been my dad: I think there was one term when I was in DT every week. The dreaded Saturday DTs were the worst - having trudge up to school just to sit in a classroom while your mates were out playing football.

Fortunately, my old man saw no need to deduct any pocket money.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I bunked off school one afternoon after the football match I was meant to be playing in had been postponed and we were meant to return to normal lessons. I'd not revised for the German test I was scheduled to do that afternoon due to said football match, plus the fact my German teacher was a bit of an arsehole.

They gave me an hours detention for that, I had the last laugh though, the German lesson was meant to last an hour and 10 mins, I made 10 mins of out those chumps. Winnerz.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Haven't read the whole thread but you are making a big mistake going down the road of financial incentives. It builds money into something it is not and he will associate money as the only worthwhile reward.

The reward for not getting into trouble at school? He doesn't get bollocked.

Keep it simple if he gets into trouble then stop him doing something he enjoys. You don't give something for being good, you take away for being bad.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
If he gets pocket money already, then denying him it is a good deterant - if he doesn't then it's a bad idea to offer him money for 'staying good'.
Deny him something he enjoys. After one or two occurances, it'll sink in!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here