Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Irish pisstake

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
The paddys came home from the last world cup as if they'd won the bloody thing. So that pisstake song should really be about them. Oh yeah and they never even won a game in the tornament.

You'll never beat the Irish!! er yeah right.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Nice to see blantant Anti-Irish sentiment is still alive and well....

I actually don't know a *single* person with the name Patrick or any of its variants

I think you'll find we did actually win a game in the last world cup, namely against Saudi Arabia.

We also didn't have our captain at the time.

Also, to the person who claimed that most of our good players are English, I'd invite you to check where Roy Keane, Shay Given, Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, etc were born. For those 4, its Cork, Dublin, Dublin, Donegal. Theres Clinton Morrision who's not Irish, and thats about it. When we had English players we also had an English manager. Go figure...

We're also *significantly* smaller than England. 4,100,000 people here, and what, 50,000,000 in England. Proportionally we do better, in nearly every sport. (For rugby we do have 5,600,000 people, but most of our good players come from Limerick anyway).

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
DÃnN¥ §ëÃGuLL© said:
What the f*** have they ever won

I think you'll find its 7 Eurovisions, 4 F1 races with an Irish team, a number of Five Nations and Triple Crowns, the Under-18's World Cup, and a fair few matches against England, most memorably that one the England fans started rioting at in '95 or so

harry_h

Dec 30, 2003
Hove
Also, where were John Barnes and Owen Hargreaves born? Also Greg Rudeski (sp) and many others born?

As well, it seems Britain needs Irish people to fill up the 100 Greatest Britains. Bono, the Duke of Wellington also Bernard Shaw, Bob Geldorf, Terry Wogan and of course Father Ted

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
It is a bit rich to see someone complain of "blantant Anti-Irish sentiment " when it's on a thread about a song with blantant anti-English sentiment.

Maybe what you are seeing as "Anti-Irish sentiment" is just a bit of fun? Just a joke, like the song.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
That was well funny.

It's good to see the Oiirish hold England in such high esteem & know their place - just ahead of the taffy's & sweaties.

Jack Charlton was Oiirish after all.

:jester:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
MYOB said:

I actually don't know a *single* person with the name Patrick or any of its variants

I think you'll find we did actually win a game in the last world cup, namely against Saudi Arabia.

Also, to the person who claimed that most of our good players are English, I'd invite you to check where Roy Keane, Shay Given, Robbie Keane, Damien Duff, etc were born. For those 4, its Cork, Dublin, Dublin, Donegal. Theres Clinton Morrision who's not Irish, and thats about it. When we had English players we also had an English manager. Go figure...

We're also *significantly* smaller than England. 4,100,000 people here, and what, 50,000,000 in England. Proportionally we do better, in nearly every sport. (For rugby we do have 5,600,000 people, but most of our good players come from Limerick anyway).

Think your forgetting the 250,000,000 Irish that live in the USA.:lolol:

harry_h said:
Ireland have also won 2 'Best fans of the world cup' awards

You're scraping the barrell now, fella.

All depends on what you'd rather be content with I suppose. England fans, rightly most of the time, expect their team to at least challenge for a semi-final place, whereas the Scots and Oirish are "just happy to be here", knowing they'll get knocked out at the first stage but don't mind just so long as they can make a load of new friends and do a congo through the town's main square. Bless 'em.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
MYOB said:
I think you'll find its 7 Eurovisions, 4 F1 races with an Irish team, a number of Five Nations and Triple Crowns, the Under-18's World Cup, and a fair few matches against England, most memorably that one the England fans started rioting at in '95 or so

... and a cycling proficency test? Majorettes? Largest marrow?

Safeway said:
do a congo through the town's main square. Bless 'em.

Congo? Ah well, they say the Irish are the blacks of Europe.

MYOB, actually, most of the England fans on here seem to have taken this skit in good heart, as I was expecting.

It was the Streets fans I was worried about starting some kind of punch-up on NSC, aren't they a notoriously thin-skinned and humourless bunch? :lol:

With the England rugby team currently crashing and burning like a gang of 15 Tim Henmans, it is also worth noting that Britain is currently staging the Rugby World Cup for U21s, the final is tomorrow in Glasgow.

The two teams? New Zealand, natch.

The other? Ireland - the first northern hemisphere team to make it to the final in the tournament's history. England fell at the pool stages.

Last edited:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
MYOB said:

My middle name is Patrick. Pleased to meet you MYOB! :wave:

Getting back to the original post. It is funny. To those who don't like it, if you can't take a little bit of pisstaking don't hand it out!

:p

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
MYOB said:

Not to mention that our Manager or Coach as they seem to be called these days is acutally the same nationality as the team.

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
'Nice to see blantant Anti-Irish sentiment is still alive and well....' - And I suppose the anti-english sentiment is a thing of the past now?.

I think that a lot of the anti irish and scottish sentiments which some english show now has been born from the almost fanatical hate towards the english despite the fact that most english would actually support both of these nations if they were the only ones left from the home countries.

I was actually quite pleased though with the pretty fair coverage we got in the tournament on RTE by the likes of Johnny Giles, Eamon Dunphy and especially Bill Herlihy who seemed particulary sympathetic. Unlike the bitter and twisted George Hook and co in the rugby world cup who were desperate for England to lose every game. They must be beside themselves at the moment but they can't take away the fact that we are world champions and that will hurt them for another three years.
Liam Brady and Ray Houghton weren't so impressive though and seemed to knock England at every opportunity.

Incidentally is Ray Houghton Scottish or is he another plastic paddy who tries to sound Irish but badly?.

I was also heartened by Today FM's phone in poll where I was surprised by the result that 43% of voters wanted England to win.

I think the country may be brushing the chip on their shoulder off a bit and moving on regarding the british at last.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here