Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Irish Music - No Bono required

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Great selection here people :rock:

Just from myself -

U2 - a No from me - a bunch of jumped up posh boys who had a sh*teload of money behind them at the start and then ruined it for every other Irish band of the late 70s and early 80s because every record company was looking for a U2 clone.

Cranberries - a hard pass from me - over-rated. A relative played with them before they became famous so I got to know one of the lads in the band, but I would happily avoid the deceased Delores, she was a bit of a prima donna.

Van Morrison - great music but an utter sh*thead. I went to a concert of his in Macroom many moons ago, the guy threw a wobbly because he wasn't showered with adoration when he walked on stage. He turned his back on the crowd for the entire concert and went through the motions. These days he is spouting anti-mask, anti-vaccine nonsense.

The Corrs - I went to college with Jim Corr and met the girls a couple of times. Jim is a David Icke type conspiracy theorist these days and the reality is that the girls never needed him in the band.

The Wolfe Tones - a bunch of sectarian assholes - these days we have the regular Wolfe Tones, the Continuity Wolfe Tones and the Dissident Wolfe Tones - and it is a fitting end to them.

So - after the rant - my contributions below of those bands/singers that have not been covered.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Aslan - should have been bigger than U2 - unfortunately lead-singer Christy Dignam became an addict just as the band were hitting the big time. Dignam spoke in later years about when he was a child being repeatedly raped over a three year period by a neighbour. When he was nine he told his best friend's brother, who was in his twenties, what had been happening and this man then raped him as well.The band split in the mid-80s but reformed in the early 1990s. Dignam continued to struggle with addiction until 2004. A lot of the songs deal with Dignam's trauma and addiction. Over recent years he has battled repeated occurrences of cancer. It is a testament to the other members of the band and a demonstration of the connection the band members have, that they stood by Christy Dignam over the years - and they still continue to perform.

Aslan are always at their best live and when I saw them in the early 80s it was most definitely a highlight of my late teens. Here are two recent live performances of their best known songs - but they have many more.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
For metalheads - Mama's Boys - the McManus brothers from Fermanagh. They initially toured with Horslips and then Thin Lizzy before having some limited success in the USA. The band continued until 1993 when Tommy McManus was diagnosed and later died from leukemia. His brothers were devastated by his death and never performed as Mama's Boys again.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
The Phantom Orchestra had a brief existence in 1978-79 and released one (what I would regard as unforgettable) album. They were an Irish/French collaboration that played an eclectic mix of jazz/swing/folk music. The album had great covers of Hurricane (Dylan) and Hound Dog, but it was their originals that I liked best. I saw them once during their brief existence, in the Baggot inn in Dublin, and I fell privileged to have had the opportunity, they brought so much energy to their performance. These are the only two songs from Phantom Orchestra that I have ever been able to find on youtube. These have been uploaded by former band member, Peader Melinn, who now lives in Paris.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Aslan - should have been bigger than U2 - unfortunately lead-singer Christy Dignam became an addict just as the band were hitting the big time. Dignam spoke in later years about when he was a child being repeatedly raped over a three year period by a neighbour. When he was nine he told his best friend's brother, who was in his twenties, what had been happening and this man then raped him as well.The band split in the mid-80s but reformed in the early 1990s. Dignam continued to struggle with addiction until 2004. A lot of the songs deal with Dignam's trauma and addiction. Over recent years he has battled repeated occurrences of cancer. It is a testament to the other members of the band and a demonstration of the connection the band members have, that they stood by Christy Dignam over the years - and they still continue to perform.

Aslan are always at their best live and when I saw them in the early 80s it was most definitely a highlight of my late teens. Here are two recent live performances of their best known songs - but they have many more.

That is a terrible story, but thank you for posting your choices. I will listen later. I've heard of the McManus Band (?), but not the others - cheers! :)

As much as Bono irritates the hell out of me I don't think he had an easy start in life?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
A song from Mary Black has already been posted, but in my opinion she deserves a second mention. There are few singers that I have heard with a more natural, accomplished, polished voice than Mary Black. I could post dozens of videos showcasing the singing talent of this woman, these are two of my favourites. Again, I am posting live performances because, for me, recordings never do her voice justice. The first video also has the fantastic Declan Synnott on guitar.

I will post a few more later when I have some time - the OP has given me the green light to gallop through the thread.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Speaking of Mary Black earlier - her son Danny plays with the Coronas - I am surprised that they haven't been mentioned yet.

Terrific band - my daughter is friends with one of the band members and they are a great bunch of guys, very genuine and down to earth,

Streetlight

May 16, 2016
Speaking of Mary Black earlier - her son Danny plays with the Coronas - I am surprised that they haven't been mentioned yet.

Terrific band - my daughter is friends with one of the band members and they are a great bunch of guys, very genuine and down to earth,

Weird coincidence - It's Danny's birthday today according to my mate who's their videographer

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Possibly the most accomplished song to come out of Eurovision - Niamh Kavanagh 'In your eyes' from 1993. This was during the period when Ireland repeatedly won the Eurovision song contest. She subsequently went on to release an acclaimed album but shunned the limelight to spend more time with her family. She occasionally performs and did represent Ireland at the Eurovision again in 2010.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Another terrific female singer - Mary Couhglan - who has a great jazz/soulful voice. Unfortunately her career was repeatedly derailed by her well publicised difficulties with alcoholism. This is my favourite song from Mary Coughlan.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
In Tua Nua were posted earlier. After In Tua Nua fell apart in 1989, lead singer Leslie Dowdall attempted to embark on a solo career. Her efforts were cut short with a cancer diagnosis and it took several years before she was able to record her own songs She went on to have critical acclaim and still performs occasionally, including in Spain where I believe she lives with her Spanish husband. This is probably her best known song from her solo career, but it really is one of a large number of really good songs that I could post.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
These guys come from up the road from where I live - terrific trad/folk band that produced a lot of great original material. Mike Hanrahan went on to work with Ronnie Drew and has also collaborated with Leslie Dowdall.

Stockton's Wing with 'Beautiful Affair' from 1982

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Stepaside - named after a village in South Dublin. Lead singer Paul Ashford had previously been a member of the Miami Showband and had left shortly before 3 members of the band were killed in a sectarian massacre near Banbridge in Co. Down in 1975. Ashfod died in 2011.

Again - this is probably their best known song - Last Resort

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
The Boomtown Rats Citizens of Boomtown was very interesting. This little ditty was very true about Ireland at the time

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Juliet Turner is a singer/song writer from Co. Tyrone who has performed with the likes of Bob Dylan, Bryan Adams, Joan Armatrading and U2.

This is 'Take the money and run' from the album 'Burn the black suit'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here