Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ireland v Zimbabwe

Did anyone else watch this superb game?

Catch it on the highlights.

Not since Chucker Kirtley snatched victory from the jaws of defeat at Lords have I seen a more unlikely performance by a fielding side.

With four wickets left, Zimbabwe needed 15 runs to win off the last six overs. Ireland were dropping catches all over the park and failing - several times - to run out the opposing batmen. And what happens?

As I say ... catch it on the highlights.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Superb game - well done the Irish

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Incredible match. There did seem to be a few Ireland fans in the crowd who didn't know the rules...but let's not be churlish.

What I thought was amusing about the crowd scenes was the fact that the commentators failed to work out that at least one lot of excitable "Irish" supporters were, in fact, cheering for Zimbabwe.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
It was incredible. I've had a really good run of one dayers. The last two I've attended have been the C&G final, and NSW v WA in Sydney, which went to the last ball as well.

But I just can't believe that many Irish people will have gone to the West Indies to watch cricket. Perhaps they're friends/realtives/girlfriends of the players who have been slipped a cheeky leprechaun outfit by Sky telly.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Cricket is certainly growing here, but I still thought we were meant to be absolutely shit at it? ???

Didn't watch the game as I've been busy most of the evening but the result is... impressive, anyway.

Oct 25, 2003
top performance, could've won it aswell

its amazing whats happened to zimbabwe, they used to have 3-4 world class players in their side, the likes of goodwin, the flowers, olonga, streak etc. now they have a load of no marks

this result wasn't even that big a shock

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Great match - couldn't take my eyes off the last 3 overs to be honest.

However, with hindsight I do find it quite sad that Zimbabwean cricket has been brought to its knees in this manner. They were a respectable side in the late '80s, trouncing some good test teams including the Aussies. It wasn't so much the result yesterday against a nation that doesn't give a toss about the game that bothered me, it was the fact that they never looked remotely imposing. Sure they looked likely to win, but not in the Sri Lanka/Australia kind of way.

A shame really - Zimbabwe are now a terrible cricket side. :(

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
Great to see that Ireland are doing so well
They visit the County Ground at Hove on 28 May when the craic should be good!"!

sagaman said:
Great to see that Ireland are doing so well
They visit the County Ground at Hove on 28 May when the craic should be good!"!
How many of the Ireland international team play for the team called Ireland that plays in the C&G Trophy? Are the two teams in any way connected?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Lord Bracknell said:
How many of the Ireland international team play for the team called Ireland that plays in the C&G Trophy? Are the two teams in any way connected?

Cricinfo has their squad for last years C&G Trophy.

Trent Johnston (Clontarf, capt), Shahid Afridi (Pakistan), Andre Botha (North County), Jeremy Bray (Eglinton), Peter Gillespie (Strabane), Dominick Joyce (Merrion), David Langford-Smith (Phoenix), Eoin Morgan (Middlesex), Kyle McCallan (Waringstown), Adrian McCoubrey (Saffron Walden), Saqlain Mushtaq (Pakistan), Andrew White (Northamptonshire).

Looks to be about half/half.

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
Great result but really weird that Sky Sports News show interviews with the 2 Australians in the side. They could have got a couple of Paddy's in front of the camera couldn't they?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
...do you think they could have found two sober Irishmen after a result like that, it is St Paddys' weekend after all...mind you they did interview Freddie at the football last summer when he was clearly a little worse for wear.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
It was incredible. I've had a really good run of one dayers. The last two I've attended have been the C&G final, and NSW v WA in Sydney, which went to the last ball as well.

But I just can't believe that many Irish people will have gone to the West Indies to watch cricket. Perhaps they're friends/realtives/girlfriends of the players who have been slipped a cheeky leprechaun outfit by Sky telly.

apparently there are over 2000 of them out there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here