Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ireland v England official match thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Very good first half. Then English disease of "game management" also known as stop playing and stop taking risks. Way too familiar. Its like a psychological wall someone needs to tear apart.
Nothing wrong with game management at 2-0 up away.

Plenty wrong with it at 0-0 in a tournament.

That’s the difference so far (plus Carsley has had three days and no Foden, no Bellingham and no fit left back at all).

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I agree with @hart's shirt and @Guinness Boy. It was different/better.

(I didn't groan once during the game).

We surely need to replace the Toffee Hoofer with a modern goal keeper, though. Jason Steele would be better.

Grealish playing centrally/anywhere is so much better than the job he does for Citeh which, frankly, could be done by anyone (receive the ball on the wing, consider taking a player on, pass the ball back to the man who played it to him).

Slab head is a passenger.
The first half at least was light years away from what we'd seen throughout the Euros. Positive, adventurous, easy on the eye.

As you say, the game-breaking maverick that is Jack Grealish offers the potential for high reward. With England's long history of squandering the talents of so many gifted players, it's very good to see him back in the squad and wearing the shirt again with a license to roam.

Personally speaking, I wouldn't change Pickford at the moment - yesterday only 19% of his passes were long compared with 49% in the summer.
He showed that he can modify his game to suit the system. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/articles/c0jp3enyxpdo

An England that is happy to take risks by committing players forward to outplay the opposition with creativity, flair and spirit, with outscoring them being a natural by-product of this, has always been what I've wanted to see. At last it looks like we have the foundations of this in place.

Above all, that's why I rejoined the England Supporters Travel Club again after years away.

The game's about glory.

Last edited:

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
All the Southgate bashing continuing I see. A second half that would have seen him crucified had he still been in charge of that dirge. A deeply uncomfortable afternoon personally for the Guinness loving, follically challenged hacker (ask Didier Drogba). I don't think he'll ever win me over - not that that is important - but I really hope he f**ks up on Tuesday night and Teemu Pukki slams a couple of goals in with Harry Maguire at fault.

Realistically the only manager I'd be happy with is Eddie Howe but it's a low bar set. A very low bar indeed.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Yep. We scored a good goal and then pushed for the second. Some of the combinations were excellent given that we had many second choice players and three days’ preparation.

Ireland tightened up their block in the second half but we’d won the game by then.

Overall it was the antithesis of a Southgate game. If this is Carsley ball he can keep the job...
A few comments from Carsley in today's press conference: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/live/c9d18wjjxdgt

On what he wants his team to bring to this game: "It's important that we are exciting to watch. I think when fans come and watch England play at home, they expect attacking football, they expect chances to be created and to play with a tempo."

On the changes he has implemented: "We have to be mindful that we've had six sessions now, in total. There's one or two things we have adjusted and tried to implement but I think we spoke about this a while back."

"There were a lot of good things already happening. We have just tried to make a few adjustments as opposed to wholesale changes. The players are open to trying something different or maybe being a bit more risky in certain areas."

"Hopefully we can show people on Tuesday again that we are moving forward."

On potential changes for Tuesday's match against Finland at Wembley: "That is the balance. If you make 11 changes it maybe sends out the wrong signal. The good thing about this group is they are highly motivated to do well. There will be two or three changes, but not wholesale changes."

"We have to make sure we protect the players as well."

On what he has learned from managing the Under-21s: "There's a lot of similarities, regardless of tactics and game plans the players have to know, that you believe in them and support them. If you create that environment then hopefully you will see performances."

On pathway through the youth system: "It has had a lot of benefits. We talk about the DNA, which is the way we want to play and coach, but the jobs academies are doing makes our job easier. The players are coming in at such a high level. When you lose a player that goes up to a higher age group, the next one comes in and it is almost a seamless transition."

"When a player comes into St Georges' Park, making sure they feel rated and cared for is just as important."

On leading out the senior side at Wembley: "It's not something I've thought about recently. It was a really proud moment the other day to be on the sideline, another great night hopefully for the players."

"Really looking forward to the game. We've had another couple of good sessions in between the last match, so I'm excited by it."

"We'll make two or three changes, freshen things up a little bit. What I've noticed with this group is how motivated they are to do well."

On whether he wants the job on a permanent basis: "I think it's quite clear I am doing the three camps. I'm really happy with that, if it changes also I'm happy with that. I'm very privileged in the position I'm in, in terms of the under-21s. I have enjoyed it so far."

"The important thing is the team as opposed to the coaches - they should be the ones in the spotlight and getting the attention."

On Harry Kane's achievement, as he prepares for his 100th cap: "I've only worked with him for around seven days, but straightaway you can see how motivated he is, how committed he is, how good an example he is for the other players, every session he is first out."

"You could tell straightaway how motivated he is to win a major tournament, which is brilliant for whoever comes in."

On the traditional number nine role: "The role in general has changed, I think. The academy system has developed all-round footballers, who play in a number of positions."

"From a coach's point of view we have to be more receptive to a player's profile and capabilities rather than positions."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here