Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ireland still in World Cup?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If they had taken their chances in the play offs they would be in the world cup. If they hadn't got a dodgy penalty earlier in the qualifiers they wouldn't have been in the play-offs anyway.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Why is it that this particular incident can go so far without someone putting their foot down and saying - "sorry, you were unlucky, but...". Honestly, FIFA is so terribly run, it really is unbeliavable. The correct response would be to rule out any further action after the game but start taking steps to prevent this kind of thing happening again (which does not involve extra officials", rather than the idiot Blatter saying stuff like "I will being it to the attention of the executive committee".

Yet stuff like diving or video technology is not considered, or if it is in such a slow way that it's never realistically going to get off the ground. The sheer ineptitude of football's ruling body is unbelievable.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
If the FAI has actually asked this its a little embarassing. Up until now, it was mainly the English media that had kicked up a fuss, and I actually think the FAI acted with a lot of dignity - a polite request for a replay, followed by an acceptance but condemnation of its refusal. This is a bit ridiculous. Wouldn't say no if FIFA offered it though!

I still think people are jumping the gun a bit to compare this to poor refereeing decisions or even missed chances, it was blatant cheating that won a game in a very very direct way.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
If they had taken their chances in the play offs they would be in the world cup. If they hadn't got a dodgy penalty earlier in the qualifiers they wouldn't have been in the play-offs anyway.

Not true - look at the table.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think that Ireland and Costa Rica should have a play-off, and the winner of that should be........

...told to stop whinging and BUCK up. There's another one in four years anyway :thumbsup:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Oh and finally - appears this hasn't actually been confirmed by the FAI at all, and apprently was an off the cuff remark at a meeting, which has been mentioned by um...Sepp Blatter.

Its not like him and Platini have anything to gain by turning public opinion against Ireland's situation...oh wait, hang on.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Had the penalty not been granted and the result otherwise stayed the same, we would have still qualified for the playoffs. We finished 4 points clear of Bulgaria and our results against Georgia were discounted from the calculation to find the lowest points second place team anyway.

Last edited:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
so let me get this right

they are saying ONE anelkas wasn't a pen when 99/100 it is a pen, and TWO they think they would have WON if Henry didnt handball? I would be so embarassed to be Irish.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
so who says they would of quailfied even if henry didnt handle the ball

Is a very valid point. If the goal had been disallowed Ireland would not have qualified unless they:-

a) prevented France from scoring a legit goal in the remaining time
b) scored again in the remaining time
c) won a penalty shoot out

All of the above were more unlikely than likely

I would suggest that France were favourites anyway once Ireland failed to score a second in 90 mins.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I'm 50% paddy and proud of it but this issue is now getting ridiculous. Yes Henry cheated but that is NOT why Ireland didn't qualify. It's one of the reasons but not the main one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here