Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ireland still in World Cup?

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Sorry if fixtures but SSN is saying Fifa have asked Ireland to be included as an extra team at the world cup.

Whats that all about!?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You must be winding us up?

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Well thats what is scrolling along the bottom of the screen on SSN. No wind up.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Heard nothing on the radio here this morning but it appears the Irish FA asked FIFA for this to happen, not the other way round.

The RTE website quotes Blatter as saying it's unlikely and if they did Costa Rica would want to be added also as they went out to a goal that was offside.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No it doesn't say that. It says...

FIFA reveal Eire asked to be included as an extra team at 2010 World Cup.

ie, FIFA are not doing the asking.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
so paddy was trying to figure out how to get himself started on the computer he asks his wife " it says here type in your password,what shall i put "? wife says oh anything paddy,how about your fav thing in the world?, paddy sits thinking oh aye to be sure and types the word PENIS , paddys wife then heres paddy shouting all manner of swear words at the computer, Whats the matter dear she asks ? dis fekin computer is a fekin smartarz genius paddy replies,Why do you say that ? well i typed in my fav thing and the bastad fecker replied password not long enough....

xenophon

speed of life
Jul 11, 2009
BR8
They should be allowed in, and as the odd team get a straight bye into the knockout stages.

In fact they should start each game with 12 men

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
When we got knocked out my Maradonna's hand of god did we officially ask for the match to be replayed, to be reinstated?? Etc etc. No. We were pissed off but accepted that's just football.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think it's got ridiculous. Firstly because obviously every nation with a grievance will want to be included and secondly Henry's handball is NOT the reason Ireland didn't qualify. Ok, yes it's A reason, but in 1997 Hereford didn't get relegated solely because they failed to beat Brighton in their last game. That and Ireland's failure was the result of a culumative set of events and refereeing decisons any one of which may have made a difference.

Felt sorry for them when it happened but I'm losing patience and respect for them now.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
They were knocked out - get over it ! Yes, it was unfortunate. Yes, it was the refs mistake (actually IMO, the lino's, he must have had a clear view), but they are not he first team to be hard done by, and won't be the last. They had more than enough chances to put it to bed during the match.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
They should be allowed in, and as the odd team get a straight bye into the knockout stages.

In fact they should start each game with 12 men

Quite clearly they would have won the bloody thing so why not make them automatic finalists and then the rest of the world cup can be a knockout to see who plays them in the final!

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I find myself agreeing with the last two points.

Ireland were cheated. But they were not cheated out of a place at the world cup, they were cheated out of a chance of a place at the world cup. As we all know had the game gone to penalties, France may still have won.

FIFA need to learn from this, by looking how they can reduce mistakes and oversights by officials at future matches and not by trying to undo the past mistakes and oversights of match officials.

As has been already pointed out, Honduras were knocked out by a goal that subsequently was proven to be offside. If Ireland are allowed back into the competition, Honduras would have to also be bought back into the fold.

Don't get me wrong - I feel sorry for Ireland, but if FIFA make way for results of previous matches to be potentially ignored or overturned, I think would be setting a dangerous president.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It is getting a bit stupid and childish now. Even if the handball had been correctly spotted and the goal disallowed there was still a good chance they WOULDN'T have made the finals.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
If Ireland were awarded a "33rd" spot then Costa Rica would be in the same boat after they lost to an offside goal! Any more teams fancy a trip to South Africa? Perhaps Scotland could appeal as Iwelumo's goal miss in a qualifier was unacceptable?

This is all rather sad and pathetic.

Will we get changes to league tables and cup draws as teams appeal against officials decisions?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here