Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IRA Coded Bomb Threat for London

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
what country would that be then?

i hope you dont mean Libya where noone has invaded, and airstrikes went ahead to protect rebels them from a tyranical dictator - exactly the sort of thing the UN was created to do.

It's not about the dictator, it's about BP's billion dollar investments in that country. That 'Tyrant' story is just a smoke screen that the general public buy. Dictators are killing people all over the world, if we really gave a shit about them we'd be sending our troops to pretty much every third world country.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
We gave them top points for Eurovision on Saturday. That's gratitude for you. :annoyed:

Would be a shame after the good relations we've built up in the last few years and I've always liked the Irish.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
there were lots of police cars doing about 75 mph around trafalar square at lunchtime - bit like WRC 09 with alll the tourists diving out of the way

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It's not about the dictator, it's about BP's billion dollar investments in that country. That 'Tyrant' story is just a smoke screen that the general public buy. Dictators are killing people all over the world, if we really gave a shit about them we'd be sending our troops to pretty much every third world country.

I'm not eactly sure what is wrong with protecting our countrys interests abroad, that what our government is largely there to do. It's not as if we've unilaterally decided to step in. We begrudgingly supported the mad-man for years, and now they see a chance of getting rid for good - I guess they must think they know roughly who would take over, and that they're no worse for our interests (although, how they can tell that I have no idea).

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
I'm not eactly sure what is wrong with protecting our countrys interests abroad, that what our government is largely there to do. It's not as if we've unilaterally decided to step in. We begrudgingly supported the mad-man for years, and now they see a chance of getting rid for good - I guess they must think they know roughly who would take over, and that they're no worse for our interests (although, how they can tell that I have no idea).

Don't we put these dictators in place any way? So we can gain access to their natural resources, Gold, Oil, Diamonds etc. Give the dictator guy so many millions £££ and he will suppress his people so western private companies can come in and make massive profits on the back of the peoples blood and sweat. As soon as the dictator starts playing up we give him mass media coverage, make it look like he's the enemy so the west 'heroes' can come in and look the good guys.

I just hate the media bullshit making out we're the saviours of the libyan people. David Cameron cares for the Libyan people about as much as i do and the next guy.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
More specific threat has come in now fro Old Street, Tower 42 area.

Just heard from my mate in the met.Anyone up that way to comment ?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What is the point of a coded warning? Surely if you want to blow people up you don't tell them?

Without wanting to start a binfest on the IRA - it is to spread fear. The IRAs primary target was the army and police not the public. If they could scare the public though they would. The odd coded warning without the need to set a bomb off but then occasionally setting off a bomb off can spread fear very quickly. It also disrupts normal day life which was another IRA aim.

I know the current crop of terrorists are far more ruthless but I would question the IRA not being a valid threat - ask the family of the poor policeman they murdered a little while ago.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Without wanting to start a binfest on the IRA - it is to spread fear. The IRAs primary target was the army and police not the public.

.. although I do recall The Arndale Centre in Manchester, Canary Wharf in London and the failed Warrington Gas Works attacks. Not forgetting the subsequent shopping precinct bombing.

If the gas works attack had been been successful, the civilian casualties may have far outweghed the number of police or army personnel ever killed by the IRA. It could have possibly been our "9/11". I have no axe to grind with Irish nationalists, but I would count myself lucky to be writing this now since I was living a few streets away from the gas works at the time.

From what I recall there was a Territorial army base right in the centre of Warrington. Instead they chose to target a gas works next to a huge residential area and families shopping the day before Mothers Day. Worth pointing out that Warrington has a fairly large Irish community what with Liverpool being just down the road. I also witnessed the fall out they had to put up with.

What happened in Warrington didn't particularly change my views regarding the troubles, but I did see at close hand how a terrorist attack can completely devastate an innocent community.

So in response, they killed less civilians but not from want of trying.

Last edited:

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I seem to recall the three IRA attacks in Sussex were against non military targets i.e.

1. Ian Gow MP at home near Eastbourne
2. Grand Hotel - Tory Party conference
3. Bicycle bombs near the Brighton Pier and I think also Bognor promenade - presumably aimed at the public

1 and 2 were largely succesful attacks, unfortunately for the victims.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here