Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IPODs- Worth the Money?

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Thinking about splashing out on one of these little babies? Has anyone got one? Is it worth the money? Should i go for 10, 20 or 40gbs?

Incidentally, i don't suppose if anybody knows where i could get a 'deal' on one of these?

Last edited:

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
I highly recommend the Ipod. :thumbsup:

I have one of the early 10GB Mac versions before the Windows versions came out, but I actually use it with my Windows laptop for synchronising with some software that I bought.

I'm considering buying the latest 40GB version (or persuade the fiancee to buy it for me as a Chrimbo present).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes - a beautiful little machine. I'd go for the biggest you can afford.

When the 3rd generation came out Apple released 15 and 30gb flavours. You can pick up new and boxed 30gb ones for about £250 on eBay - that'd be my route to iPod heaven. Big saving on the £400 for the 40gb in the shops.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
..just bought one..

Hiya mate,

Just yesterday bought one off ebay actually..

Had been told not to get 10Gb and in my mind wanted 'the daddy' anyway so tracked down a Brand new, latest gen 40Gb (mac & pc) one on ebay for £325 inc postage..! :eek: :thumbsup:

Retail anywhere else inc Tottenham Ct Rd is about £399 and there's not much discounting going on at all (Apple can't make 'em quick enough apparently..) so was a bit dubious about giving someone all that money in advance, but took the chance, and THE NEXT DAY it arrived by Spec Del..

It looks the nuts even in the packaging..

I'm a bit of an ebay believer but you can find 10Gb for Approx £250 & 20Gb for £285.

Knowing you live in London, if you want the details of the seller pm me as you can even collect them from him direct in Deptford..

And NO..it's not me in disguise touting for trade...

Last edited:

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Silly..you can get Armour and coloured jackets for them...

btw. Barnet and Ipod....Separated at birth...?! :p

Weezle

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Thanks guys. Yes please Rowdy - can you PM me the details?

What's the difference between the Mac and Windows versions?

:clap:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What the fecks an Ipod ? A tripod with 1 leg ?

Easy 10 - feeling older by the minute

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ipods are pure sex. I'm an avid Apple hater, the legacy of far too many crashes, but even I'm getting one.

I'm waiting for the Mac Expo though as there'll be some special deals for journalists, sometimes there are advantages in being a hack.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
iPOD is fantastic, everything you expect and more.

Windows and MAC versions are identical, you even can get the iTunes software for Windows XP, which is also superb. J

ust waiting for the full iTunes service to become available in the UK, then I'll probably never buy a CD again.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Gwylan, could you just decode that last post out of GeekSpeak and into plain english ?

;) ;)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I've heard that bass reproduction can be poor on some styles of music, even if your MP3 was ripped at higher than 128.

Superphil - have you downloaded the fix so that you can up the volume beyond Apple's 'safe' limit that the iPod comes with?

I've got a 30gB one and can honestly say it's the best gadget buy of my life! If you've got a mac you can also take advantage of the AAC compression (basically mp4) which means you can get even more track s on it and at better quality. The only depressing thing is I've put 2000 songs on it and don't know if there is another 5000 that I like! Will take some time to fill it up. Also doubles as a portable firewire hard drive (very useful) and looks so cool everyone on the train regards you with serious envy. The headphones that come with it are good, but am upgrading to a big pair of Sony cans as the little in-ear ones get a bit irritating.

If you can wait till next year, Sony are bringing out a direct competitor to the ipod, but rumour has it the prices will be mad, like starting at $60!!

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Easy, i think it's somewhere to put your eye when not needed ie at night.

is that right geeks?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
:lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's an MP3 player.

Basically it's a hard drive with a few buttons and a display panel on it. Latest version comes in 10, 20 and 40GB sizes so you can get a lot of music on them.

And being designed and made by apple it's a fantastically looking product.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Dear Mrs Hiney/Father Christmas,

I have just seen the Apple ipod and would very much like the 40Gb version for Christmas. I promise I have been a very good boy this year (apart from calling Dwayne a pompous twat - does that count as being bad?) and will be an even better boy next year.

I really hope you will be able to get one for me.

Lots of love

Hiney :kiss:

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Rambo said:
Will someone please explain what an IPOD is? IS it like an IPAC?

Its a portable jukebox no bigger than a packet of fags that holds over 2000 tunes. You can also now buy some kit that will plug it into your stereo at home.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here