Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipod Nano

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Does anyone know the cheapest places online and on the high street to get one?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As with most Apple products, there is very little variance on price anywhere at all.

To be honest I prefer the previous generation (ie squarer-shaped) Nanos over the current generation and you can generally pick them up from the Apple Refurb store for a reasonable price. They'll be exactly as new with a full Apple warranty.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
As with most Apple products, there is very little variance on price anywhere at all.

To be honest I prefer the previous generation (ie squarer-shaped) Nanos over the current generation and you can generally pick them up from the Apple Refurb store for a reasonable price. They'll be exactly as new with a full Apple warranty.

In addition it appears to be a little known fact that 4th gen ipod nanos are not compatible with any charging equipment - three months after launch you still cannot buy speaker docks - yes the old ones will play it but not charge it

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Les

If you want some cheap Albums, try Amazon MP3. They are launching the service and have a lot of albums for £3 each.

Does it have to be an ipod? I bought a 16GB Zen for £80 in Argos 2 months ago and it does everything the Ipod does plus it plays WMA files (half the size for the same quality as MP3) and you can also play video files on it (though the screen is too small for someone my age to watch for long). And I got a £10 voucher too. It hasn't conked out already like my son's ipod did either!

Plus you can an SD card for another £15 which would get it up to 24GB... not bad if you are a film buff.

seems to be on amazon too

Amazon.co.uk: Creative ZEN 16GB MP3 Player: Electronics Photo

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
40 or so now, yes.

VERY good deal. :thumbsup:

What is the bit rate of MP3 albums that you buy ?

I'm just about to buy an MP3 player, but will mainly be playing WAV files on it from my Vinyl/CD collection because of the sound quality.

I've yet to buy any music in a download form so I'm confused. Does an MP3 download album mean just that, - MP3 ( at ? bit rate ) and no chance of downloading it as a WAV file ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I'm just about to buy an MP3 player, but will mainly be playing WAV files on it from my Vinyl/CD collection because of the sound quality.

I've yet to buy any music in a download form so I'm confused. Does an MP3 download album mean just that, - MP3 ( at ? bit rate ) and no chance of downloading it as a WAV file ?

Do you use uncompressed WAV, or a compressed format?

Commonplace nowadays are MP3s at 192 kbit/s, up from 128 a few years ago. You rarely see anything above 320.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Yes. You download as an MP3 album.

Amazon are at 256kbps.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Do you use uncompressed WAV, or a compressed format?

Commonplace nowadays are MP3s at 192 kbit/s, up from 128 a few years ago. You rarely see anything above 320.

Uncompressed WAV 1411kbps. It's the compression on MP3 that has always made me give it a wide birth when I first heard MP3's a few years ago.

I'm not a geeky audiophile by any means, but I do like a nice hi-fi set up for listening to music on. In truth though, it seems that MP3 quality has come on a bit and a compression rate of 320 will in most cases sound every bit as good as lossless on most portable MP3 players even with some quality headphones.

I'm yet to do recent listening tests myself, but from all that I'm reading, I don't think I'll be wanting to go near anything less than 198 as an absolute minimum for MP3.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yes. You download as an MP3 album.

Amazon are at 256kbps.

Cheers :thumbsup:

At £3 a pop I think I'll be downloading at least one and give it a sound quality test against WAV. I'll do plenty of 320kb tests too, because if I can't discern a massive difference then this route might be preferable for me as I suspect WAV might eat up the 8gb fairly rapid ?

I'm going for a Sansa Clip 8gb with the Klipsch Custom 2 that was recommended on another thread here the other day. I couldn't resist the Amazon price cut on those headphones in the end ;)

To be honest, I don't do loads of listening on the move, but if I'm going portable MP3 route then I may as well get as good a sound as I can for a decent budget trade off.

Mind you, with all this MP3 download stuff. I'd still rather buy vinyl or CD so I can kick back and listen to music on a proper hi-fi set up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here