Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

iPhone official

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Seems like a pretty impressive pice of kit, new iPhone details;

"Well, today, we're introducing three revolutionary products of this class," said Jobs. "The first one is a widescreen iPod with touch controls. The second is a revolutionary mobile phone. The third is a breakthrough Internet communications device."

"These are not three separate devices," said Jobs. "This is one device. And we are calling it iPhone. Today Apple is going to reinvent the phone."

Jobs explained that smartphones provide phone and e-mail and what he called "the baby Internet. They're not so smart and not so easy to use."

"We don't want to do these," he said. "We want to do a leapfrog product that's way smarter than these phones and much easier to use. So we're going to reinvent the phone."

The iPhone does not use a keyboard, nor does it use a stylus, as many smartphones do today. The device uses new technology called "Multitouch."

"We're going to use the best pointing device in our world," said Jobs. "We're born with 10 of them, our fingers."

Multitouch is far more accurate than any touch display, according to Jobs. It ignores unintended touches, supports multi-fingers gesture. "And boy, have we patented it," he added.

The iPhone runs Mac OS X, said Jobs. "We start with a solid foundation," he explained.

"Why would we run such a sophisticated operating system on a mobile device? It's got everything we need," he said. "It's got multitasking, networking, power management, awesome security and the right apps. It's got all the stuff we want. And it's built right in to iPhone. And has let us create desktop-class applications and networking.

iPhone also synchronizes through iTunes. It syncs media, contact information, calendars, photos, notes, bookmarks, e-mail accounts. "All that stuff can be moved over the iPhone completely automatically," said Jobs.

The iPhone features a 3.5-inch, 160 dot-per-inch color screen. There's a small "Home" button it. It's also remarkably thin -- 11.6 millimeters, thinner than any smartphone out there, according to Jobs.

On one side, the iPhone sports a ring/silent switch, volume up and down controls. On its silver back side is a 2 megapixel digital camera. The bottom features a speaker, microphone and iPod dock connector.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
apple_iphone.jpg

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
End of 2007, D'oh, I guess we'll just have to wait for the Septics to get all the bugs out for us then

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
doesnt look that great. wank battery life. touch screen without stylus. 5 hour talk time battery life. voicemail is going to need telco support, which they will also rape you for. "revolutionary" contact list - er looks like my old nokia 6310. if the sensor fucks ur phone is un useable.

be ok for the apple fan boys but at the price they're quoting - no thanks

Last edited:

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Looks like a lovely bit of kit.... but I've yet to have a phone last me twelve months, so at the sort or price it'll be, it won't be for me...

Plus, I don't wish to use I-tunes ta...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Springal said:
doesnt look that great. wank battery life. touch screen without stylus. 5 hour talk time battery life. voicemail is going to need telco support, which they will also rape you for. "revolutionary" contact list - er looks like my old nokia 6310. if the sensor fucks ur phone is un useable.

be ok for the apple fan boys but at the price they're quoting - no thanks

Cor, thanks for that info, I'm glad someone has all the facts to help us make our decision.

"Doesn't look great", what, a virtual full screen, touch sensitive face, silver aluminuim casing, there is nothing to not look great.

"Wank battery life", eh? compared to what? And no you can't compare it to a mobile phone, or even a smartphone, it's a totally new concept.

"Touch Screen with no stylus", dur, it's meant to be a touch screen without a stylus, cos you don't need one.

Oh, and you know they are going to "rape" us for the email service do you?

"The sensor fucks and it's unusable", how is this statement different from any other piece of technology if a part of it packs up?

As for looking just like your old 6310, :p

OK, so they haven't just come up with a basic ipod looking phone, which I know I was hoping for, but having read all the specs so far released, it would appear to be a totally new concept in portable communication, not just a phone, not just an iPod, MP3 player or video player, but something that seems to be genuinely new.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
hows it a new concept? wot part of it is new?

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Superphil said:
Cor, thanks for that info, I'm glad someone has all the facts to help us make our decision.

"Doesn't look great", what, a virtual full screen, touch sensitive face, silver aluminuim casing, there is nothing to not look great.

"Wank battery life", eh? compared to what? And no you can't compare it to a mobile phone, or even a smartphone, it's a totally new concept.

"Touch Screen with no stylus", dur, it's meant to be a touch screen without a stylus, cos you don't need one.

Oh, and you know they are going to "rape" us for the email service do you?

"The sensor fucks and it's unusable", how is this statement different from any other piece of technology if a part of it packs up?

As for looking just like your old 6310, :p

OK, so they haven't just come up with a basic ipod looking phone, which I know I was hoping for, but having read all the specs so far released, it would appear to be a totally new concept in portable communication, not just a phone, not just an iPod, MP3 player or video player, but something that seems to be genuinely new.

check out the demo, it really is quite a special phone

http://www.apple.com/iphone/ipod/

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Superphil said:

No good having a new concept if the battery dies halfway through the day and you want to phone someone though is it? Of course you can compare it to a mobile phone IF YOU WANT TO USE IT AS A PHONE.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here