Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IPad 2 or Blackberry Playbook

WeAreTheAlbion

Aug 19, 2010
Northstand - AMEX Stadium
Still can't decide which one to pick, apple is a great company that produces great things and i have a lot of their technology in my house but when looking at the Blackberry Playbook it looks slick and it also has flash which is something Apple do not have.

Im edging towards the IPad 2, anybody got any feedback or anything?

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
The fact that RIM are spending their entire advertising budget on telling you the Playbook has Flash should make you think... that's literally all they have to shout about. Avoid the Playbook and if you want Flash get an Android tablet.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Still can't decide which one to pick, apple is a great company that produces great things and i have a lot of their technology in my house but when looking at the Blackberry Playbook it looks slick and it also has flash which is something Apple do not have.
For computing, I dislike the closed proprietry nature of Apple. I'd much rather an open system like Android etc. But right now there are only a handful of Android apps, whereas there's 65,000 iPad apps, so for my needs, I had to choose iPad. Not sure about the Playbook, but I imagine there's a shortage of apps for that too. I hope that Androids, Blackberry, HP etc are successful, so we have decent competition and choice.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
For computing, I dislike the closed proprietry nature of Apple. I'd much rather an open system like Android etc. But right now there are only a handful of Android apps, whereas there's 65,000 iPad apps, so for my needs, I had to choose iPad. Not sure about the Playbook, but I imagine there's a shortage of apps for that too. I hope that Androids, Blackberry, HP etc are successful, so we have decent competition and choice.

I would be really interested to know what is missing from the Android world. Purely based on shoulder surfing as a commuter, it seems the killer apps include scrabble and monopoly.

Harley S

Aug 31, 2008
This ! This ! This ! If you buy anything you will always have a little voice in your head saying "it's nice but it's not an iPad is it!"

Oh and the lack of Flash isn't a problem like all the apple haters would have you believe, just download skyfire...job done.

This. :thumbsup:

Stumpy Tim

I've got an iPad, and currently looking at the PlayBook. However it seems they're very different. The iPad is very much for the consumer, while BlackBerry are targeting the PlayBook for the corporate market - I'm about to start a new job where everyone has BlackBerry's so might go for it. But they have practically no apps, and take-up is very slow. I would say the iPad is the way to go right now

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
The Playbook is a waste of time and money from a failing company, get an iPad. If you really don't want an Apple device, the Xoom is probably the best Android tab around at the moment.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton
judging by the quality of a lot of the stuff in the itunes store, don't let the sheer number of apps available sway your choice, there is an awful lot of absolute garbage for sale and the fact that apple seem proud of that is bizarre, its a bit of a red herring as far making the right choice for you.
you say you are an apple fan anyway, i'd say stick with what you like.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This ! This ! This ! If you buy anything you will always have a little voice in your head saying "it's nice but it's not an iPad is it!"

Oh and the lack of Flash isn't a problem like all the apple haters would have you believe, just download skyfire...job done.

What is Skyfire, is it FREE, and what exactly does it do?

Thanks

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
What is Skyfire, is it FREE, and what exactly does it do?

Thanks

Alternative browser. You input your flash enabled website, it does some trickery on the SkyFire servers and returns the flash content back to your SkyFire browser. £1.79 last time I looked. I haven't used it, but reports say it's a little slow in operation.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The Blackberry Playbook does not even have standalone email and calendar apps.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Alternative browser. You input your flash enabled website, it does some trickery on the SkyFire servers and returns the flash content back to your SkyFire browser. £1.79 last time I looked. I haven't used it, but reports say it's a little slow in operation.

Thanks

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

I've found it perfectly watchable for live football streams. Make sure you watch streams with a wifi connection or you may end up using all your 3g data allowance.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'm minded of this nugget from Family Guy, substitute the word Zune for Playbook, I reckon you're there or thereabouts.

[yt]a0BPKq0aZHk[/yt]

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I have a Blackberry, and whilst I love it, the operating system crashes a fair bit, so I definitely wouldn't risk shelling out money for a Playbook. iPad 2 would be the safer bet IMO, and of course there'll be a ton more apps for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here