Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Internet radios, worth the extra cash compared to DAB?

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
which? report

Will UK digital radios soon be obsolete?

DAB+ offers better sound quality
In 2007, the World DMB (Digital Multimedia Broadcasting) organisation (formerly WorldDAB) announced a new broadcast standard - DAB+, which offers better sound quality than the DAB standard used in the UK.
Although minister for culture Ed Vaizey's digital radio action plan - released in July 2010 - made no commitment to the UK adopting the new DAB+ standard, that's not to say that this won't change in future.
What will happen if DAB+ replaces DAB?
If DAB was dropped in favour of DAB+, radios that can’t be upgraded to receive the DAB+ signal would become obsolete. However, many newer DAB radios contain a multi-standard chip, so they are DAB+ compatible. Other models with a USB port or wi-fi connectivity may be upgradable in the future.
If DAB+ was adopted in the UK, it’s likely that there'd be a period when the two digital systems would run alongside one another. This would allow some stations to be broadcast in the new format and some in the old, giving listeners time to switch to the new standard. We look for DAB+ compatibility in our digital radio tests.
Is it worth buying a new digital radio?

Don't be put off buying a DAB radio
If you're planning to buy a new digital radio, don't let the news about DAB+ put you off. UK government seems committed to a DAB, rather than DAB+ future and as a national digital radio switchover from FM to DAB is unlikely before 2015 at the earliest, any potential change to DAB+ looks to be even further off.
A multi-standard chip that's DAB and DAB+ compatible was introduced in 2009. Models fitted with this chip are future proofed for compatibility with DAB+ as well as being compatible with DAB. So DAB+ compatible models, or those that can be upgraded, are already available from many big players in the UK digital radio market, including Pure and Roberts.

Read more: DAB+ explained - Digital radio reviews - Audio - Which? Technology
Consumer Champions Which?
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution Non-Commercial

I've been schooled. :)

Must say though most half decent DAB radio's have USB for upgrades so most people should be covered. Although the report is pretty no committal on any changes / upgrades.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As an aside, that KCRW station mentioned earlier in the thread is superb :thumbsup: One of my favourites too, along with KFM 106.9 from New Zealand.

I love internet radio, knocks the bland and unimaginative daytime radio on offer in this country into a cocked hat. When will the licensing authority realise that there's a lot of people that want more from radio than just the choice between Western Classical, pop/chart or oldies pop music :rant: Radio 4 is the only decent alternative during the day time.

challengechappers

Sep 14, 2005
Any further radio station recommendations? Giving abstrait, kfm and reggae141 a listen at the mo and enjoying them. Also enjoying strangeways radio (currently playing cocteau twins) plus the odd bit of la rancherita when i need some mariachi!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Any further radio station recommendations? Giving abstrait, kfm and reggae141 a listen at the mo and enjoying them. Also enjoying strangeways radio (currently playing cocteau twins) plus the odd bit of la rancherita when i need some mariachi!

Well, WFMU's schedule reads like a work of art I reckon :) http://wfmu.org/table

Big Up Radio is quite good for all the different Reggae genres as well as Calypso & Soca too.
Dub Xtra is very good for endless heavyweight Dub.
I also listen to a Nigerian station called Fortis Radio 9.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I have a Pure Siesta as my alarm clock and exactly the same thing has happened to me.

Got the same, brilliant radio. I've eveb programmed the FM to kick in just after the DAB as a backup back up solution. Looking at the thing, looks like some rubbish they used to give away on the generation game - but the sound is amazing.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Can anyone recommend a DAB that's suitable for an old person? My dad has Alzheimer's, it's still at a fairly early stage and one of the things he still likes to do is listen to the radio- but he keeps it tuned into LBC all the time because squinting at the numbers while trying to remember the right frequencies to switch to Radio 4 and back is a bit too much for him nowadays.

Has anyone designed one of these specifically for people like him (like, the DAB and internet radio equivalent of one of those mobile phones with massive buttons and writing)? I know I could just get him a radio with programmable station buttons but a) he'd find a magic way to de-program it within moments, and b) I'd rather get something nice for him.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
One thing to note - bbc don't have the rights to stream albion coverage over the internet so you if you listen to bbc sussex stream you'll get woking, eastbourne etc coverage.

Discovered this the saturday before last. Even the caption said Forest v Brighton, but the commentary was Eastbourne.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Can anyone recommend a DAB that's suitable for an old person? My dad has Alzheimer's, it's still at a fairly early stage and one of the things he still likes to do is listen to the radio- but he keeps it tuned into LBC all the time because squinting at the numbers while trying to remember the right frequencies to switch to Radio 4 and back is a bit too much for him nowadays.

Has anyone designed one of these specifically for people like him (like, the DAB and internet radio equivalent of one of those mobile phones with massive buttons and writing)? I know I could just get him a radio with programmable station buttons but a) he'd find a magic way to de-program it within moments, and b) I'd rather get something nice for him.

Hi [MENTION=19819]JetsetJimbo[/MENTION], consider this

The Roberts Duet 2 was specifically designed with blind and partially-sighted users in mind, but many of its features mean it's easier for anyone to use. We put it through our tests to find out whether it also gives a good listening experience.

This radio is sold by the British Wireless for the Blind Fund (BWBF) and was born out of a collaboration between the BWBF and Roberts Radio, but it's available for anyone to purchase.

The Duet 2 is incredibly easy to use. It doesn't include any bedside radio functions such as alarms and sleep timers, reducing the number of functions it has to be able to undertake.
Getting started

After you have extended the telescopic aerial and pressed the power button, the radio will automatically search for DAB stations and tune into the first one in alphanumerical order. It's super-easy to get started.

The controls and display are yellow, to make them easier for partially-sighted users to read and identify. There's a reasonable amount of space between the buttons and controls, and they're logically laid out and intuitive to use.

The screen is positioned at an angle to make it easier to see whether you're above or in front of the radio. You can't adjust the screen brightness.

Labelling on the controls is quite small, so users with sight problems need to get used to what the controls do - the functions are simple, though.

The large tuning dial is easy to rotate. Pressing it makes the selection; you may need to support the radio with your other hand to ensure the radio doesn't move sideways.

The radio has a tone control dial so you can adjust the balance to get the radio sounding the way you like it.
Simple-to-save presets

Saving stations as presets makes tuning to your favourite stations easy. Presets are easy to save; all you have to do is tune to the station, and then press and hold one of the five dedicated preset buttons to save the station to that preset. Five DAB and FM stations can be saved as presets.

There's a 'favourite' button on the radio too, for saving one more preset - but it can only save either an FM or a DAB station, not one of each.
Portability

The Roberts Duet 2 can be run on mains power, or on batteries for portable use.

It takes four D size batteries, and you should be able to get more than 50 hours of DAB radio listening at a reasonable volume from a set of alkaline batteries.

You can use rechargeable batteries in the radio, but you'll need to remove them to charge them.

There's a 3.5mm headphone socket and a 3.5mm auxiliary input, so you can connect up an MP3 player or iPod and play music from it through the radio's speaker.

Sound quality is reasonable. On some tracks the sound seemed a little muffled in the mid-range frequencies, but for a portable model it sounds OK.

Pros: Simple to use, dedicated preset buttons, well-spaced controls, bright screen

Cons: No bedside radio functions, limited functionality

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

A Pure One is reasonably cheap, simple to use, and has 20 presets which you can use for DAB and FM stations- Screen is small I grant you but he may find it easier to use presets than a tuning dial witha small screen
VL-61088.jpg

Last edited:

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll look into those. Much appreciated, it'll make a big difference to his day-to-day life. It's really hard watching him have to limit himself because he knows he's losing it, it'll be a nice thing for him to be able to switch between stations without worrying that he'll have to ask someone to fix the mess he's made of it all!

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
I spent £160 on a Pure Evoke 2S, and when it started failing (intermittent switching on and off) their repairs department were so awkward I have decided to go ROBERTS.

I had exactly the same problem. Bloody radio would switch itself on in the middle of the night and it would also switch itself off randomly while listening. Pure just told me to restore factory resets which did sod all.

Then I changed my internet router and the problem dissappeared. The two are not linked but I assume the signals from the router were interferring with the radio frequency.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
I had exactly the same problem. Bloody radio would switch itself on in the middle of the night and it would also switch itself off randomly while listening. Pure just told me to restore factory resets which did sod all.

Then I changed my internet router and the problem dissappeared. The two are not linked but I assume the signals from the router were interferring with the radio frequency.

I have a Roberts and it does this too. Thought the house was haunted/being burgled by John Humphreys the first few times!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
At Christmas I replaced a 4 yo Roberts (volume control was going a bit scratchy) with one of these bad boys :
Pure%20Evoke%201S%20Marshall.jpg

Sound quality is just as good IMO and it has line-in too

And then on Tuesday I won a Pure DAB (and £500/IoW tickets) on Absloute

I want one of these, purely because the volume goes up to 11.

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Quite. I mean, that's one more, isn't it?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Went for the Pure Avanti Flow in the end. More expensive than I was originally prepared to pay but it does a lot.

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
My Ipod Touch 4th Gen, Tunein Radio App and dock make for a brilliant internet radio.

Tunein Radio is very good and it lets you record the songs you are playing :thumbsup:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
My Ipod Touch 4th Gen, Tunein Radio App and dock make for a brilliant internet radio.

Tunein Radio is very good and it lets you record the songs you are playing :thumbsup:

Seems the way to go for many people.

I don't have an i anything as I'm not a fan, but my Nokia N8 has a built in FM transmitter so I often play internet radio all day at work via a boogie box and at home too via the one in the kitchen or the tuner in my hi fi seperates set up. One slight draw back for me is the bit rate of internet radio - can't beat glorious analogue FM through the hi-fi for sound quality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here