Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Internet and Holidays

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
Not sure. The people in the documentary all looked like they'd been bullied at school, and had never ever been intimate with a lady.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Did anyone see that documentary that was on a while back about Trip Advisor nutcases, going round looking for the slightest excuse to completely pan a hotel, and writing up their reviews like they were Pulitzer Prize winners?

Absolute sad lonely headcases.

One of the consumer shows had a report about the misuse of Trip Advisor sometime back. Hoteliers have had their reputations unfairly trashed thanks to vindictive visitors. Another scam was visitors asking for rate reductions or freebies so as not to give a negative report on trip advisor. I think a hotelier has the right of reply but mud can stick.

I've used Trip Advisor prior to booking or staying somewhere. The trick is to try where possible to read between the lines. You can generally spot the idiots who complain about petty trivia or are maybe on a vendetta. Where a place has plenty of reviews, you can usually spot a trend one way or the other. A lot of Americans do tend to write the ridiculous stuff. One complained about the colour of the sand at the beach being a horrible shade of grey. The island in question had a volcano!

Aadam

Resident Plastic
Feb 6, 2012
Don't you think that makes people very detached and unsociable, I quite like the embarrasing lets try and speak whatever language converstaion with locals, for me it's part of the experience. Maybe i'm just strange.

God forbid ! Travelling to a foreign culture and attempting to converse in the native language - how frightful
And having to engage with a local on the matter of which direction to take - well , that's not what travelling's all about is it ??

Come to think about it ,there's no real point in you ever leaving you're comfort zone and getting out & about is there .

You misunderstand.

I don't mind talking when I'm actually out and about. But I'd much rather spend most of my day enjoying my holiday because I know where I'm going and how to get there, than waste time in a country being lost and trying to find directions.

Even when I went to Hawaii I was on my iPad checking which bus I needed to get so I could go to the other side of the island and where to change etc. This meant I could spend more time actually enjoying the place I was visiting than trying to get directions. Plus, when using apps like the Trip Advisor one, I managed to find a lot more things to do that others had done whilst there.

If you think you can have a more enjoyable holiday without the internet then that's your prerogative. I like to spend more time enjoying my holiday and less time pissing about trying to enjoy it.

It's prudent to note that rarely would I take a 'sit on your ass' beach holiday. I'm usually either out exploring or snowboarding. Both require the internet.

You wouldn't use a paper map when you had access to SatNav, would you?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Our last hotel in Tunisia had free wi-fi which reached the pool.

I quite enjoyed carrying on with my Words With Friends games from my sunlounger, whilst getting slowly pissed on the all-inclusive drinks.

D

Deleted member 22389

I have recently been on trip advisor and consistently notice complaints about lack of free internet access etc.

Is it just me but why can't some people go with out internet for a week or two. I'm quite happy to be oblivious to what everyone is doing for two weeks a year it's a time to relax and get away.

Or is it just a case of the technology is there so you might as well use it?

We go down to the father in laws place in Brittany every few years. The whole point is to get away from it all. I'm glad there is no internet down there. All you would end up doing is sitting indoors all day.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No Internet for 2 weeks?
What do you expect me to do? Buy jazz mags?
Madness.

Don't buy them, NSC has a grumble exchange forum attached to the ticket forum, so you can have a copy of Flaps International for FREE provided you return something in kind.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

I quite enjoyed carrying on with my Words With Friends games from my sunlounger, whilst getting slowly pissed on the all-inclusive drinks.

Perhaps if you didn't BLANK people on WWF you might even have a few more games to play *flounce*

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Perhaps if you didn't BLANK people on WWF you might even have a few more games to play *flounce*

I'm not BLANKING anyone. It just doesn't WORK any more.

Every time a game ended it threw me out, and wouldn't load again. So I had to uninstall and reinstall the app to get it working. Now I can't even do that, because the OS on my iPod Touch is out of date, so I can't install the WWF app on it any more. And I'm scared of trying to update it on my laptop in case Apple cocks everything up on it.

I'm a WORDSMITH boy now. Its much better.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea

This, I managed to stream TalkSPORT and other UK radio through my iPhone and listen to it round the pool. Was fantastic! And Free!

Manx Shearwater

Jun 28, 2011
Brighton
The ones below it are probably landfill sites or sewers or public toilets or something.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here