Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting Micky Adams article in the Sunday Independent

May 30, 2010
Yes, Adams hated him for that. :shrug:

Ultimately, Adams is a paranoid character who hasn't moved on a decade ago, and his one trick has always been to be to fill his team up with players that he knows and trusts to do a decent job.

I was told by that after he left Brighton he got Leicester promoted to the Premiership despite having no transfer funds. Is this true?

oapdodge

Jul 15, 2003
[QUOTE Mickey is a legend to me for what he did first time around, and for that I'll always be grateful.[/QUOTE]

:clap2::clap2:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was told by that after he left Brighton he got Leicester promoted to the Premiership despite having no transfer funds. Is this true?

No transfer funds? They wrote off their debts and pretty much got their stadium for free. Their squad for that year?

Dickov
Deane
Elliot
Izzet
McKinlay
Rogers
Scowcroft
Sinclair
Taggart
Walker
Stewart
Davidson

Hardly scraping the bottom of the barrel. They had a team that was not good enough for the Premiership. but good enough for the Championship. Easy job.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Time is a wonderful thing and memoires to boot. Adams was and is limited in management terms. He worked for us at a time we needed him. Second time round his short comings were at best derisable.

We have moved on. Poyet has instilled a desire to play football nothing of which has been seen ever before at this club. I'm no Jonny cum lately but have been a sth for 35 years and not in that time have I seen such an advance in a forward thinking approach. Frankly I found Adam's approach agricultural to what we are experiencing now and long may it continue.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
The words "I've found my level" spring to mind, Micky bit of advice don't jump ship to a jumped up Premiership side from the Midlands if Port Vale win the league it won't do you any good

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Time is a wonderful thing and memoires to boot. Adams was and is limited in management terms. He worked for us at a time we needed him. Second time round his short comings were at best derisable.

We have moved on. Poyet has instilled a desire to play football nothing of which has been seen ever before at this club. I'm no Jonny cum lately but have been a sth for 35 years and not in that time have I seen such an advance in a forward thinking approach. Frankly I found Adam's approach agricultural to what we are experiencing now and long may it continue.
I'd also say that in my time watching the Albion (regularly since 86/87) Poyet and his staff are the only ones who have managed to improve the technique of the players at the club. Prior to Poyet most our players either showed little or no improvement, and in many cases actually got much worse from our coaching.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
No transfer funds? They wrote off their debts and pretty much got their stadium for free. Their squad for that year?

Dickov
Deane
Elliot
Izzet
McKinlay
Rogers
Scowcroft
Sinclair
Taggart
Walker
Stewart
Davidson

Hardly scraping the bottom of the barrel. They had a team that was not good enough for the Premiership. but good enough for the Championship. Easy job.

Wow, I never knew it was such a piece of piss to get promoted to the Premiership. All you need is a transfer embargo.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

To be fair, I've found most Brighton managers' approach agricultural to what we are experiencing now.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wow, I never knew it was such a piece of piss to get promoted to the Premiership. All you need is a transfer embargo.

Who needs transfers for a Championship team when you have the nucleus of a team that at one stage under a previous manager got to 7th in the Premiership.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Who needs transfers for a Championship team when you have the nucleus of a team that at one stage under a previous manager got to 7th in the Premiership.

You mean the team that finished bottom of the Premiership the previous season with five victories out of 38 matches, and only picked up 20 points?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Typical Adams, always someone elses fault other than his own.

The only person that let him down was himself with his dodgy signings and terrible attitude!

Was easy to ignore the first time round as we were winning. No wonder people turned on him second time round.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

good post. poyet is rapidly becoming THE best manager i've seen at the albion

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Excellent first time round....badly lost the plot second time and often sounded 'away with the fairies' when being interviewed.
Should be bigger than trying to blame others for his downfall.He really did appear to not have a clue tactically on his disastrous return and also signed /loaned some,let us say, 'unsuitable' players.
Good luck to him at Port Vale;I must say,I am surprised by his success so far!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You mean the team that finished bottom of the Premiership the previous season with five victories out of 38 matches, and only picked up 20 points?

That's the one. The gap is so massive between even the bottom teams in the Premiership and the top teams in the Championship, that a team that gets relegated and keeps the same team should really bounce straight back. Leicester did exactly that so did not need to enter the transfer market. You make it sound like they were disadvantaged having their debts wiped out and moving into a brand spanking new stadium and keeping their Premiership team.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Excellent first time round....badly lost the plot second time and often sounded 'away with the fairies' when being interviewed.
Should be bigger than trying to blame others for his downfall.He really did appear to not have a clue tactically on his disastrous return and also signed /loaned some,let us say, 'unsuitable' players.
Good luck to him at Port Vale;I must say,I am surprised by his success so far!

My feelings exactly.

Some of his post-match interviews on Seagulls World, during his second spell here, were cringeworthy. Mumbling, often looking away from the camera, punctuating his sentence with repeated "y'know", shifting from foot-to-foot, and claiming on that excruciating occasion after a particularly poor performance that the players needed 'a cuddle'.

He went from messiah to muppet; brilliant first time, brainless the second.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
good post. poyet is rapidly becoming THE best manager i've seen at the albion

Whilst I don't disagree, it is easy to say that having had a string of good results - if we lost 3 or 4 on the bounce, would people still feel the same, football fans are so fickle reputations long earned, can go in a flash and the good times forever forgotten.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You make it sound like they were disadvantaged having their debts wiped out and moving into a brand spanking new stadium and keeping their Premiership team.

They were disadvantaged in the sense of having a transfer embargo. As for bouncing back, some clubs do it (West Brom, Newcastle) and some don't (Reading, Southampton, Leeds, Forest, Wimbledon, Bradford etc). There is no divine right to a return.

As for keeping the players from the Premiership, they weren't very good prem players were they!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here