Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting incident on the train this morning

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
The Americans use one hand for sign language, the British use two hands. Both are completely different languages, this means they can't talk to each other.

Incidentally, if someone has a broken finger, does it come out like a lisp when they use sign language ????

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I'm still laughing at the basketball :lolol:

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
braders7 said:
yeah a question along the same lines , do any other countrys (apart from us and the usa) have regional accents

again sorry if its a :dunce: question?
They certainly do in Germany.People who live near the Dutch Border speak with a totally different accent to those from further South.It's almost a different language

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Was reading this as though it had happened this morning! Was only when I saw my post from 3 years ago that the penny dropped! Doh. Shit how time flies!

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
Dave the Gaffer said:
Travelling on the Littlehampton to London Bridge train this morning, we pulled into Haywards Heath and this extremely attractive woman, long legs, lovelly shapped bottom got on with this older bloke. He sat down ( which we found a tad strange that he did not offer her a seat) and then it all kicked off.

She was having a right go at him, waving her hands and gesticulating....only here is the rub. They were both deaf and it was really enlightening seeing two people going at each other but not making a sound.

At one point she stormed off to the loo and came back and carried on with the arguement. they calmed down by the time they got to East Scumdon and she sat down and he stood the rest of the way. Rusco reconed she was a stealth moose, but I thought she was verrrrrrry nice.

Always entertaining the world of commuting

East Scumdon. Oh do grow-up David!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Any word on Door-man?

Does he still commute and twitch like a madman if someone leaves a sliding door open? Or do you have new trains and stuff down that way now?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I witnessed a big punch-up at Victoria Station a while back, between two groups of deaf teenagers. They were at it hammer and tong, gesticulating obscenities (presumably) and then twatting each other.

Was very surreal.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
Downloaded Penguin said:
The Americans use one hand for sign language, the British use two hands. Both are completely different languages, this means they can't talk to each other.

Incidentally, if someone has a broken finger, does it come out like a lisp when they use sign language ????

Partly right - the British Sign Language (BSL) uses both hands to 'finger spell' - thats when you point at your fingers to indicate one letter of the alphabet - the americans use one hand to fingerspell. They BOTH use two hands to make signs to represent words - some of the word signs are the same, some similar, some totally different. I've spoken to an American sign language user using BSL and we just about communicated. For example the BSL sign for 'orange (satsuma etc') is squeezing your fist by the side of your mouth - the same sign in America stands for WILL (as in I WILL BUY THE TICKETS). But you use lipreading at the same time as the signs so you know that they're not saying 'orange' plus it doesnt fit in the sentence (I 'orange' buy the tickets).

And there are regional differences in signing - North and South - the same sign might be made slightly differently by someone in Newcastle as to someone in Brighton - I'm not fluent or clever enough to tell the difference but deaf or fluent users can see it.
There are also 'regional' signs - Newcastle people call women of a certain age a 'wife' whether or not they are your wife etc!

I dont get the opportunity to practice my sign language much now, but I found it really interesting to learn. It comes in very handy when I want to talk to someone or order a drink across a noisy bar and they know BSL as well! lol!

I also learned a very simple form of sign to communicate with mentally disabled people and a fingerspelling form of sign to communicate with deaf/blind people by touch only.

scooter1

How soon is now?
The Wookiee said:
I cant stop laughing at the basketball incident.
I have visions of this poor bloke reading a paper on an empty train, taking advantage of some nice quiet time after a hard days work.
When out of nowhere ...

Whack!!!

A f*cking great basketball appears from nowhere and smacks him full on the face!!!

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

This is brilliant, I can't tell the story for tears. And he got to keep the basketball - too right!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I was in the BOOZER on ECLIPSE night a while ago and there were about 40 deaf people in there. I thought when I walked in it had just gone quiet saloon style until I saw them all throwing up shapes and talking like wronguns. Deaf people are a right laugh innit DAVE!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Braders said:
yeah a question along the same lines , do any other countrys (apart from us and the usa) have regional accents

again sorry if its a :dunce: question?

Course they do. Parisians sound very different from Toulousoises. Durban and Cape Town accents are dramatically different. So are those from Warsaw and Krakow...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here