Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting Conspiracy Theory About Westlake Being Touted In The Pub Yesterday

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
we've paid some kind of fee to stop him going back? I dont know?

I have always maibntained that the only players over 20 years of age be allowed to go out on loan should be those that the clubs are willing to sell and that a price should be fixed prior to the loan. The club getting the player should pay 10% of his transfer fee for each month that he is on loan with the balance being paid when the player signs permanantly as per the original agreement or the club borrowing lose the deposit they have paid. This would stop clubs misusing the loan system to get promoted or avoid relegation.

Stumpy Tim

Don't Leeds have an immediate recall option? So we go into the final day and it's Leeds or Brighton for the play-offs. Leeds will simply recall Westlake the day before the game & screw up our plans.

philgull25

Jul 29, 2005
Polegate
the idea is plausable, leeds were given a harsh punishment but that is there punishment for trying to cheat the system. 15 points is what they were given at the start of the season and everyone agreed.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
I'll go along with that.

Personally I think that we want to miss out this year

get to the playoffs next year with a promotion and move into Falmer as a promoted team - Sunderland at Home first game.

It is not in the business plan to go up this year get relegated next and go into falmer on a low

Call me Pfr Dawkins

Pfr Dawkins, great theory. But you're forgetting one thing, only a tiny thing, but quite important.

We WON'T be moving into Falmer until the year AFTER next. :dunce:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Don't Leeds have an immediate recall option? So we go into the final day and it's Leeds or Brighton for the play-offs. Leeds will simply recall Westlake the day before the game & screw up our plans.

If Brighton and Leeds play against each other in the play offs then he won't be playing anyway. Leeds have a clause in the loan contract to stop him playing against them which is why he wasn't avaliable for the game at Elland Road last weekend.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Conspiracy theory goes that, due to a gentlemanly behind-the-scenes-deal, we get Westlake for the rest of the season in exchange for not protesting too loudly about Leeds being given some of their points back. We narrowly miss out an a chance at a promotion the club doesn't really want, Leeds get enough points back to get into the play-offs at our expense, everybody gets what they want or what they need. Everybody's happy.

Saying nothing, me :shrug:

That seems to assume we have far more influence than we have.

Are you REALLY saying that Leeds have been fighting a legal battle to try to reduce their punishment, which requires Brighton not to make a big fuss?

Nope, can't see that at all, even if we did carry some influence, Leeds wouldn't realise it. They believe they are the only important eam anywhere near this division.

That seems to assume we have far more influence than we have.

Are you REALLY saying that Leeds have been fighting a legal battle to try to reduce their punishment, which requires Brighton not to make a big fuss?

Nope, can't see that at all, even if we did carry some influence, Leeds wouldn't realise it. They believe they are the only important eam anywhere near this division.

Indeed.

Besides which, this isn't going to be a WRITTEN agreement. It could only be a GENTLEMEN'S agreement. And where would one of those be found at Elland Road?

On the other hand ... it could be a cunning plan by Uncle Dick to get Leeds United docked a further ten points, once he reveals that Bates tried to BRIBE us by offering us Westlake until the end of the season.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
Personally I think that we want to miss out this year

So all the players and the coaching staff have been told to "miss out" this year then?

That would mean players and coaching staff effectively dropping points on purpose. Is that what you are saying?

I find this theory hard to believe, and frankly if it is true then what is the point of us even bothering to support this club!!?

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Conspiracy theory goes that, due to a gentlemanly behind-the-scenes-deal, we get Westlake for the rest of the season in exchange for not protesting too loudly about Leeds being given some of their points back. We narrowly miss out an a chance at a promotion the club doesn't really want, Leeds get enough points back to get into the play-offs at our expense, everybody gets what they want or what they need. Everybody's happy.

Saying nothing, me :shrug:

Yeah like most 'conspiracy theories' it sounds like total shite - you probably think that the CIA carried out 9/11!! Best to lay off the Stella.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
We're not ready to go up just yet anyway.

What kind of comment is this!
Are we in competitive sport playing against other teams or are we just going through the motions?
We are playing for and are always ready for promotion whenever it comes, if it causes some difficulties then deal with them when they arise.:albion2:

Stumpy Tim

If Brighton and Leeds play against each other in the play offs then he won't be playing anyway. Leeds have a clause in the loan contract to stop him playing against them which is why he wasn't avaliable for the game at Elland Road last weekend.

Which isn't the point I was trying to make. I said, if it comes to the last day of the season & it's down to Brighton or Leeds for 6th spot then they would recall him the day before the game

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Which isn't the point I was trying to make. I said, if it comes to the last day of the season & it's down to Brighton or Leeds for 6th spot then they would recall him the day before the game

Doubt that very much as our last game is against Swansea so they will see that as difficult. If they are going to trecall him it will be after we beat Southend or not at all, if we dont.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The classic example is Pompey who got promoted to the Premiership based entirely on players who were on loan, who they could not have afforded to buy so to my mind they wre not true Pompey players. the same goes for us I would sooner we bought the players and got promotion then gained it with loans who then returned and left us wanting.

My scheme would mean that to borrow players like Westlake, Richards and Raccon their clubs must have agreed to sell them to us and we ageed to buy them at a price so that if they helped us get promoted they would still be here next season to help us consolidate in the Championship rather than leave at the end of seaon and us be left with a weakened squad and having to search for additions.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Apologies I misread final day for playoff final for some reason. You are quite correct if it came down to us or them on the final day of the season then I would fully expect them to recall Westlake to stop him helping us get to the playoffs. I am sure we'd do the same if we had a player on loan at another club who could potentially stop us getting a playoff spot.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
What kind of comment is this!

It's a comment based on my belief that we've still got a lot of squad re-building to do before we can make a serious attempt at becomming a championship club.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
After Saturday, my theory is that Leeds have told agent Westlake to play like a pile of poo (& drug the rest of the team with a "play like a pile of poo" substance). He really was utter shite & totally ineffective Saturday.

Prior to Saturday, I'd still take Jake Robinson any day.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
After Saturday, my theory is that Leeds have told agent Westlake to play like a pile of poo (& drug the rest of the team with a "play like a pile of poo" substance). He really was utter shite & totally ineffective Saturday.

Prior to Saturday, I'd still take Jake Robinson any day.

Yep indeed whilst a few of our players were poor, Westlake was ultra poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here