Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting Conspiracy Theory About Westlake Being Touted In The Pub Yesterday

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Conspiracy theory goes that, due to a gentlemanly behind-the-scenes-deal, we get Westlake for the rest of the season in exchange for not protesting too loudly about Leeds being given some of their points back. We narrowly miss out an a chance at a promotion the club doesn't really want, Leeds get enough points back to get into the play-offs at our expense, everybody gets what they want or what they need. Everybody's happy.

Saying nothing, me :shrug:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'll go along with that.

Personally I think that we want to miss out this year

get to the playoffs next year with a promotion and move into Falmer as a promoted team - Sunderland at Home first game.

It is not in the business plan to go up this year get relegated next and go into falmer on a low

Call me Pfr Dawkins

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Leeds will call him back if he helps us beat Southend if we dont it wont matter to Leeds.

On DTG point I would sooner us go up this year, avoid relegation 08/09, consolidate/ midtable 09/10, and be near playoffs for the first season at Falmer 10/11. We must remember that once building starts, all the money spent on the enquiry will be given back to the football club from the company formed for the building of the new stadium, MP words not mine!! So we will be financially viable.

Last edited:

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I didn't think it was anything to do with us anyway, it was with a judge or something wasn't it - I'm happy to be correct on that.

Perhaps the real conspiracy is they give him to us for the rest of the season and he plays like a chump to make sure we don't get there!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's a great theory, as I'm sure those players who are out of contract this season would love us not to go up, and therefor increase their chances of not getting a contract on decent terms next season. Everyone else who is on a 2 or more year contract will also willingly forego the promotion bonus too because it is not in the business plan.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's a great theory, as I'm sure those players who are out of contract this season would love us not to go up, and therefor increase their chances of not getting a contract on decent terms next season. Everyone else who is on a 2 or more year contract will also willingly forego the promotion bonus too because it is not in the business plan.

Really? You mean it's all a crock of shit?? Blimey :eek:

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
I don't buy it whatsoever. It would be 'pointless' haha what a pun. Westlake isnt crucial so it wouldn't make sense: jeopardising our chances of play offs for one player. We could get out of it altogether by not signing him up and saying Leeds said no, because that would be the truth, and then not saying much if they get it back. The only reasoning I would see behind it is that we either believe they won't get the 5 points back, or believe we'll get play offs anyway. I don't think its a big enough reward for the risk personally. I don't buy this whole ' we don't want to go up as a club' thing because once again it makes NO sense!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What is more plausible is that Westlake plays against Southend and helps earn us 3 points against one of Leeds play off rivals, and THEN McArsister recalls him to Elland Road

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
What is more plausible is that Westlake plays against Southend and helps earn us 3 points against one of Leeds play off rivals, and THEN McArsister recalls him to Elland Road

Can he actually be recalled? I hav'nt seen it reported either way whether he can or not.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Can he actually be recalled? I hav'nt seen it reported either way whether he can or not.

yes - it comes in in a players second month if the loan is extended

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

This was my view and I said so on here at 8.56 but have thougfht that since it was originally announced that we had him for the remainder of the season

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
This was my view and I said so on here at 8.56 but have thougfht that since it was originally announced that we had him for the remainder of the season

Even though we've agreed with Leeds to have Westlake for the rest of the season now he is in the second month of a loan deal they can recall him at any point.

Ipswich could recall Matt Richards if they wanted to as well (ignoring the fact he is injured).

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
yes - it comes in in a players second month if the loan is extended

Thats the standard loan arrangement yes, but dick knight was in long negotiations over this loan deal and it did say he on the official web site he is ours for the rest of the season and the play off's if we make them. It strikes me we've got a deal where he aint going back, whether it means we've allready got a pre contract to sign him in the summer or we've paid some kind of fee to stop him going back? I dont know?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here