Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interesting article on the Schalke 04 Manager and his time in Brighton

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
Yeh, might be by the Daily Mail but quite an interesting read nonetheless..

Schalke's Ralf Rangnick on Manchester United clash | Mail Online

'I'd see either Arsenal or Tottenham usually. But Brighton and Hove Albion were in the First Division then so I'd go to the old Goldstone Ground. It was one of the best years of my life.
'I was studying English and PE at Stuttgart university. I was a guest student at Sussex university.' And Dickens? 'Yeah, it was hard times to read his work, the books were so thick, 1,000 pages. For me, that was hard times.'
"United are the favourites, but then so were Inter Milan..."
Rangnick also played while in Brighton. He had been a junior with Stuttgart but never made it as a top-flight professional. In England he joined a local team.
'I played for Southwick - do you know that club? I had longer hair then,' he said. He broke two ribs in his second match.
Southwick FC were in Sussex County League Division One then. Their secretary Paul Symes said: 'Ralf Rangnick was here for about six months, he was at a local college. He played two or three times in the first team, in the Floodlit Cup v Worthing. One lad from back then remembered the name but couldn't remember how good he was.'
Rangnick made an impression - as a leaving gift Southwick's players bought him a ticket for the Arsenal v West Ham 1980 FA Cup final - and soon proved to be good at coaching.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Blimey, good chance I've seen him play got southwick then

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here