Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Interest Rates up 0.25%

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
afters said:
why on earth fix now?

this rate rise, a month earlier than expected admittedly, is likely to be the high point, therefore fixing now makes no sense.

sterling long term yield curve is very flat, suggesting no great scope for more rises.

bean counter alert

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My mortgage finishes in October 2008 after 27 years of paying somewhere near £500 per month.

500 x12 = 6000 p a

6000 x 27 years = £162,000

£162,000 to borrow £25k

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Dave the Gaffer said:
My mortgage finishes in October 2008 after 27 years of paying somewhere near £500 per month.

500 x12 = 6000 p a

£162,000 to borrow £25k

You must have extended that a few times...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
no....only a couple of times and not for much., but those figures may be a bit low as we were hammered interest wise in the 80's and took the hit every time.

friends of hours who continued paying the same amount when the rates went down, finished their mortgages off on average after 15 years odd

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lammy said:
You must have extended that a few times...
*watches puerile smutometer explode off the scale*

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Dave the Gaffer said:
friends of hours who continued paying the same amount when the rates went down, finished their mortgages off on average after 15 years odd

my parents did that, paid off the IE£35,000 mortgage in 12 years - Irish interest rates got even more horrendous than UK ones during the worse times.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
afters said:
why on earth fix now?

this rate rise, a month earlier than expected admittedly, is likely to be the high point, therefore fixing now makes no sense.

sterling long term yield curve is very flat, suggesting no great scope for more rises.

you need to get out more

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
done

Dave the Gaffer said:

500 x12 = 6000 p a

£162,000 to borrow £25k

Did Uncle Spielberg sell you that mortgage?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lokki 7 said:
Did Uncle Spielberg sell you that mortgage?

Nah - Sun Alliance via halifax B Socy. The Mrs worked for Sun Alli and got a supposed staff discount

:down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

afters said:
why on earth fix now?

Is the right answer.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
OK, I'll ask - what is the "sterling long term yield curve"?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Man of Harveys said:

its the shape made when you throw a pound coin at an assylum seeker coming to steal our houses.

Copyright The mail On Sunday

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Man of Harveys said:

Basically there is a market for money, the interest rate being the price if you like. For any given maturity (ie 2, 5, 10 years etc) there will be an interbank market price where you can either borow or lend money for that period. Put simply, join up these prices and you get a curve, usually upward sloping which is the long term yield curve. If rates are expected to rise in the future, this curve will steepen. Right now for Sterling it is pretty flat out to 20 years.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Lokki 7 said:
Basically there is a market for money, the interest rate being the price if you like. For any given maturity (ie 2, 5, 10 years etc) there will be an interbank market price where you can either borow or lend money for that period. Put simply, join up these prices and you get a curve, usually upward sloping which is the long term yield curve. If rates are expected to rise in the future, this curve will steepen. Right now for Sterling it is pretty flat out to 20 years.

a bit like Hitch hikers Guide to the Galaxy where all the people used leaves as currency, but burned down the trees to make the currency scarce

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here