Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Intense toothache

D

Deleted User X18H

It's so intense that it has kinda transferred up my jaw and become a headache.

I think it's in the gums rather than on an exposed part of tooth as I tried numbing it with ice wrapped in towel and that did nothing.

I will definitely be booking in with the dentist first thing in the morning.

Sounds like an abscess there is no avoiding it, go to a dentist or even a doctor for antibiotics ASAP.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I went for a dentist check up yesterday, who informed me my wisdom tooth has a whole in it and needed filling. £52 later, 3 injections and a filling later, all sorted. I had similar pains on and off in my wisdom teeth but usually went away after a day or 2 so never thought much of it other than wisdom tooth coming through.

Definately get it sorted, nothing will fix the pain, just mask it for a bit

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I had the same three weeks ago, left it and tried a lot of the remedies mentioned, three days later, dentist visited, lots of repair work needed but antibiotics cleared the pain.

Good luck in the morning

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
An old wives tales is to put neat whisky or other spirit on the area in question.
No old wives tale. I had bad tooache a few months ago and swilled whisky around the area (it was late evening) which numbed the pain enough to get a good night's sleep before seeing the dentist the following day.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
No old wives tale. I had bad tooache a few months ago and swilled whisky around the area (it was late evening) which numbed the pain enough to get a good night's sleep before seeing the dentist the following day.

I agree Ned, on occasions when I've had really bad toothache and the dentist has not been an immediate option, i have swilled brandy around the area, it does sort it for a while.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I had an experience about six years ago of minor toothache and a splitting headache. I went to see my GP first as the headache was the most pronounced pain.

Then I went to see my dentist. Apparently, I'd been grinding my teeth in my sleep over the years and it had been so ground down so much that a nerve was very exposed. The dentist explained that there were a lot of connections between toothache and headache - and how the two regions were joined. Anyway, he built a cap for the exposed nerve and it sorted out my headache and toothache simultaneously.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

I don't grind my teeth but I did split a tooth recently (reason enough to go the dentist I know, but I'm a moron who though "ah well, it'll be fine" as there was no pain whatsoever at the time or since, barring a bit of sensitivity).

Anyway, it would make sense for there to be some exposed nerves around that area, this bit is a bit grim but I sometimes get some food stuck up there, and obviously have to get it out, and I think I must've scraped on some exposed nerves because I did get some food caught there this evening and the pain has followed fairly soon after.

If anyone is interested I will update on what the dentist says, I reckon I'll be spending quite a bit of money...

D

Deleted member 2719

I agree Ned, on occasions when I've had really bad toothache and the dentist has not been an immediate option, i have swilled brandy around the area, it does sort it for a while.
I like this one i prefer to use the cheaper brandy because you think of it to be more like medicine!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Before anyone says anything, I know I've been an utter f**king idiot in not getting it sorted sooner. Totally my fault.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If it's in the gum then the very salty water really will work. But water needs to be pretty warm.

How long do I need to keep it in my mouth?

Lush

Mods' Pet

I don't grind my teeth but I did split a tooth recently (reason enough to go the dentist I know, but I'm a moron who though "ah well, it'll be fine" as there was no pain whatsoever at the time or since, barring a bit of sensitivity).

Anyway, it would make sense for there to be some exposed nerves around that area, this bit is a bit grim but I sometimes get some food stuck up there, and obviously have to get it out, and I think I must've scraped on some exposed nerves because I did get some food caught there this evening and the pain has followed fairly soon after.

If anyone is interested I will update on what the dentist says, I reckon I'll be spending quite a bit of money...

May just be an infection with some rotting food in the 'hole'. A dose of antibiotics could sort it out. However it will keep on happening so longer term solution needed. Good luck. Peggy pain not nice.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You have all my sympathy, it really is not nice, really do try and get to a dentist in the morning.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Cheers, thanks for the support. My eyes were proper bloodshot and watering from the pain earlier, it's very intense.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Obviously you need to see a dentist - but if you swill with salty water, do so until the water goes cold, then another mouthful. Keep going for about five minutes if you can. DON'T SWALLOW IT!

Hope you're feeling better soon - I once drove from TWells to Brighton to see my dentist in Dyke Road and wept the whole way there. Let's hope you don't have an abscess.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Definitely sounds like the beginnings of an abcess. Go to the dentist or, facially, you'll end up looking like the Elephant Man.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

What was the outcome?

Mine is looking like a bill of circa £800.

Teeth, who needs them?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Will you be changing your name from Mellotron to Mrs Miggins (she of the wooden teeth) now?

tve25555-6-43.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here