Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inside Sport (BBC1 now) - Graham Poll

It occurs that he became quite self-righteous in matches and wanted to 'make a point' far too often. Thus the criticism that he was after the headlines for himself, became sort of self-fulfilling.

They looked at his mistake at Pardew's first Charlton game, that cost them 2 points v Fulham. Of course that did have an impact on the relegations, points-wise. 2 less for Charlton, 1 more for Fulham.

He does have a point about the FA's lack of responsibility towards referees though.

Yep, no smoke without fire, and he was a bit too headstrong to stay in the game, imo.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
He was on the radio the other day saying that he goes to watch park football, and when the manager shouts abuse at the ref, the ref looks at him as if to say: "What would you do?"

The guy really is a prize, prima donna ****. As are all match officials who want to be celebrities rather than just get on with being match officials. Dickie Bird is a prime example.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
How can anyone, (even Poll himself) take him seriously after his World Cup meltdown?

Hardly a surprise or news that the FA don't back up referees.

That's exactly why I packed in refereeing all those years ago. I had the same problem with Sunday morning football that Poll had at the top level - lack of support from the FA

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
NMH said:
They looked at his mistake at Pardew's first Charlton game, that cost them 2 points v Fulham. Of course that did have an impact on the relegations, points-wise. 2 less for Charlton, 1 more for Fulham.

That wasn't his mistake!

It was the mistake of the lino (assistant referee, or whatever). Poll was completely unsighted, as any referee would have been given where the incident took place. The lino gave the decision and Poll had to follow it (again, as he was unsighted).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
He was on the radio the other day saying that he goes to watch park football, and when the manager shouts abuse at the ref, the ref looks at him as if to say: "What would you do?"

The guy really is a prize, prima donna ****. As are all match officials who want to be celebrities rather than just get on with being match officials. Dickie Bird is a prime example.

I agree with your sentiments entirely and would have Anders Frisk [sp] at the top of my list, along with Daryl Hare. I wouldn't agree on Bird though. Until he stopped umpiring, he kept his head down and did his job. Yes, he had a laugh with the players, but he had their respect, which shows he did a good job when it mattered.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I actually thought he came over very well.

Lets face it, with the way the TV analyse every single incident including throw ins!, the prevalence of players diving and cheating, a refs job is impossible.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:

dont really see how that shows him being an idiot.

i can see what he is saying. even as sunday league level i have faced opposition spitting at the ref and there chavvy wifes/kids/pre treenage mothers to there children/ shouting at the ref about a throw in against them

you then think how can a man take 35,000 people shouting at him about a decision(because thats what it is). if the ref wasnt there the game wouldnt go ahead. everyone makes mistakes. it often takes about 4 slow motion replays from different angles of a tackle before they decide poll/referee was wrong in not sending someone off.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Yeah -- but we see enough shit refereeing at Brighton games, don't we? And we don't have the benefit of TV replays in the south stand or wherever. There are probably some quite good referees (i.e. the ones whose names I don't know!) but the likes of Prosser and D'Urso spoil the game on their behalf, sadly.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
thought he came across quite well. Basically he enjoyed what he did, but the complete lack of support of the FA and managers constantly having a go forced him out. The FA really have to step in and give more support to refs at all levels otherwise football will go into melt down.

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
I ended up thinking it was a rather dull documentary, made with the cooperation of a man who likes the limelight and now wants a job in the media!

Shegull

Jul 7, 2003
On a Bed of Roses
I actually enjoyed the programme but particularly the bit where Mourinho sent himself off :lolol: :lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Instead of having a whinge, why didn't the likes of Poll and Jeff Winter actually sit down with the governing bodies to improve the standard of officiating by, say, facilitating the introduction of cameras, replays, better teamwork and communication between officials etc?

It seems to me these guys wanted sole control of the matches for their own egos when they reffed, much to the detriment of the game.

I predict that the US league will soon be leading the way with the introduction of technology and that UEFA/FIFA will follow. The Yanks have a far lower tolerance level for "human error" f***ing up the outcome of sporting contests.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Also, Jeff Winter and now Poll had one eye on a subsequent media career/books long before they quit.

I've heard some stories which appear to conform Poll's reputation as simply a self-serving ego maniac - mainly demanding extortionate amounts of money for everything.

There is a paragraph in Jeff Winter's book which cuts to the chase on how delusional these refs like him and Poll are. It's about his last game as a Prem ref, at Liverpool who have won and goes something like (from memory):

"I waited until the ball was in front of the Kop and then blew one last blast on my whistle. The applause seemed even louder and longer than usual, even given the home win. Did they know it was my last game? It wouldn't have surprised me, they are so knowledeable."

We'll never know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if the FA thing isn't a handy excuse, and Poll just thought he could earn more as a pundit.

Rookie said:
thought he came across quite well. Basically he enjoyed what he did, but the complete lack of support of the FA and managers constantly having a go forced him out. The FA really have to step in and give more support to refs at all levels otherwise football will go into melt down.

Ditto. Officials have a difficult job as it without players cheating, diving, acting, feigning injury, time wasting, swearing etc. etc. etc. etc. Managers have a responsibility to help tidy up the game but most won't and almost NEVER see their own players in the wrong.

I'd like to see football pundits, critics, journalists etc. take charge of a sunday league game let alone a bunch of highly paid over opinionated so called professionals.

Officials make mistakes - they don't do it deliberately - players cheat - DELIBERATELY

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here