Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Info about Brighton..

CanaryYellow

Feb 12, 2010
Hi everyone,

As you'll note from my user name, I'm a Norwich fan. I've been reading the threads regarding Bennett and off the back of those have a couple of questions. I'm not trolling or WUM-ing or anything else, just very curious as I know little about your club.

There's quite a few references in the Bennett threads about Brighton being as big a club as Norwich, or just a season behind us as some have said. I was just wondering what was going on to elevate your expectations so dramatically?

You're right, we have debt. However it is secured and reducing in size and not a threat to the security of our clubs future as it stands. But what makes us the club we are is that we have 20,000 season ticket holders, that's a huge achievement and one we're very proud of and rightly so in my opinion. Our average attendence is around 25k and we kept those numbers last season too.

I know you're moving to a new stadium, and I guess that'll mean you have facilities similar to ours. Are you anticipating filling the stadium next season? If you did, and were in the championship that would put you in great shape to push on, in the same way that Swansea have I suppose.

I hope my question comes accross in the way it is intended, whatever happens over the next 3 days I wish your club all the best, you clearly all think you're going in the right direction and rapidly, make the most of that momentum, that's exactly what we've done and we're loving it.

Yep. We have a new stadium, capacity of 22.5k, expandable to 30k. It is being paid for, using Tony Bloom's cash (which means that the Club will have no interest-bearing debt). And we anticipate selling 15 thousand season tickets. We have the best manager in the division, who has got the best out of the squad, by playing tippy-tappy football like you don't see elsewhere at this level. We have been top of the league since September and are now 6 points clear with games in hand over the chasing pack.

What's to be gloomy about?

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Tiki-taka.. tiki-taka.. Far be it for me to correct the great Lord B.

But it's tiki-taka..

CanaryYellow

Feb 12, 2010
Thanks, Lord Bracknell. Exciting times indeed.

What has enabled the expansion of your fan base? Or is it more that it's your current facilities that have restricted it until now?

I think over the past few seasons clubs getting promoted from league 1 with good management teams have shown that the step up is not too great and the momentum of a promotion season can take you a long way.

To me, it sounds very much like you're in a similar position to Swansea a couple of years ago if not better if you do get the 15k season ticket holders you anticipate.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

What has enabled the expansion of your fan base? Or is it more that it's your current facilities that have restricted it until now?

I think over the past few seasons clubs getting promoted from league 1 with good management teams have shown that the step up is not too great and the momentum of a promotion season can take you a long way.

To me, it sounds very much like you're in a similar position to Swansea a couple of years ago if not better if you do get the 15k season ticket holders you anticipate.

Our current stadium is a converted athletics track with no roof and a maximum capacity of 8.5k. We've been here for 11 years, previously we ground shared at Gilligham 80 miles away. We have been homeless for 13 years, and this has hurt our fanbase, but the ambitions of our chairman has shown throughout the club and season ticket sales are going very well. We have already sold all corporate boxes and there are only a few premuim seats left.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
I wish these Norwich fans wouldn't try to pretend to be "coming in peace". Registering and posting on our site is "coming to gloat", however you phrase it. I went to see Norwich a couple of years ago when I happened to be there for the weekend, and thought they seemed like one of the more sympathetic clubs - and one with a huge catchment area, being in the middle of nowhere. This view is rapidly changing. For some reason I'll suddenly be very happy if they don't make it up.

Let's see if TB really does let him go first.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You've got 20k season ticket holders because of all the kids concessions you give so it's not a statistic that stands up to close scrutiny is it? That said, nothing we won't be doing with Falmer. Norwich and Brighton are similar sized clubs, no matter what some of your more deluded fans may think. Cheers

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

20 years of mismanagement has held us back. We have a much bigger fanbase than our attendances suggest.

Not sure why people are getting narky with this bloke, clearly not trolling like some of the other twats, seems like a reasonable question to me

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Just because he's put in a transfer request, don't presume he's going to Norwich. I think you'll find it'll be more of a big club with potential like Doncaster, Preston or Barnsley rather than the likes of a yo-yo team like Norwich he'll go to.

Besides, Lambert's being offered the Sheff United job when Micky Adams is sacked next week and so Stephen Fry won't allow him to make any signings.

The worst thing is for you guys is that I've also heard from a mate whose got a friend whose brothers wife works in the Norwich ticket office says that Wes Hoolahan and Grant Holt are off to West Ham next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here