Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inane Thread - Boling Vegetables

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Anyone who microwaves fresh veg is worse than a peadophile

Why? It's the healthiest way to prepare fresh veg and the quickest. Personally I don't really like veg out of it, but I don't see anything wrong with doing some New Potatoes in there. I can't work out whether your post is based on a genuine reason not to microwave veg or a general, ignorant, "oh microwaves a shit" attitude.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Why? It's the healthiest way to prepare fresh veg and the quickest. Personally I don't really like veg out of it, but I don't see anything wrong with doing some New Potatoes in there. I can't work out whether your post is based on a genuine reason not to microwave veg or a general, ignorant, "oh microwaves a shit" attitude.

I think it's ironic that as one of the older posters on here, our mothers mostly boiled the shit out of anything green and served it when it was nice and soggy.
The current boiling is best mob, who I would guess are not of the baby boom generation and should be all for modern high tec methods prefer my Mum's approach convinced that it is the best.
We didn't have microwave theory at the Knoll Secondary Modern, I have just grown up with it, but I do know that in microwave cooking the molecules are agitated from within, and boiling, from the outside in, as the water heats up.
Those Chefs with Physics O or A's please explain the difference as I believe done correctly the only difference is which method you prefer.
Roasted veg is a different matter entirely and mostly yummy with honey, but that wasn't the original question.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
What medical reason stops you steaming veg? i am intrigued

Due to long term kidney failure (lost one, the other one it's way out), I am supposed to be on a low potassium diet, and most veg tends to contain high potassium amounts. This can be mitigated by boiling (leeching the potassium out). I am bad at sticking to this though at the mo, it will become an absolute necessity at some point.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Boiled veg gets a bit of a rough deal IMO. Sure, it’s not as sexy as griddling or roasting, but for my money the best way of eating broccoli is boiling for a few minutes (so there’s still some bite) and then chucking in a lump of butter, some salt and a big squeeze of lemon.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Boiled veg gets a bit of a rough deal IMO. Sure, it’s not as sexy as griddling or roasting, but for my money the best way of eating broccoli is boiling for a few minutes (so there’s still some bite) and then chucking in a lump of butter, some salt and a big squeeze of lemon.

Once you've stir-fried it (cut in half lengthways to give the florets a flat surface for better contact with the heat) you will never go back. You can still add your butter and lemon if you like, but the taste and texture (cooked, but still with a little crunch) is so much better...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have one of those setes where you pile seperate steamers on top of a saucepan. I tend to put the root veg in the bottom one, but that's more about space than anything. I definitely prefer steamed.

I was under the impression that if you put something in cold water and then boil it, the flavours seep in the water, whereas if you add something to hot water the flavour goes from that (well, if you add something to a boiling stock). So, really the water should be boiling before you put the veg in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here