Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Inane Thread - Boling Vegetables

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The trouble and strife always fills the saucepan with cold water and heats it to boiling point with the vegetables in the saucepan. I just boil the water in an electric kettle and pour it into the pan, which is a hell of a lot quicker. The end product is the same - boiled vegetables. Any thoughts NSC?

:thumbsup:

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Kettle all the way... I haven't got the time to faff around whilst the water comes to the boil. Although, I usually prefer to steam most veg.

The trouble and strife always fills the saucepan with cold water and heats it to boiling point with the vegetables in the saucepan. I just boil the water in an electric kettle and pour it into the pan, which is a hell of a lot quicker. The end product is the same - boiled vegetables. Any thoughts NSC?

:thumbsup:

Steamed veg is the way forward.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Boiling the kettle is a more effiicient way of heating water than in a saucepan, therefore saves energy (and money).

But steamiing tastes better.

And generally leaves a better texture.

And is healthier, because the vitamins don't leach out.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If I do have to boil veg, then I normally do it your way cheeky. Your wife is a fool. :thumbsup:

Mind you, Hillian1 gives the correct answer - the steamed veg option. And this can be so much more efficient too. If you're boiling potatoes or rice, simply put a colander over the saucepan, fill with the veg to be steamed and pop the lid over the veg onto the colander. Hey presto, fewer saucepans used, superior steamed veg to be eaten and only one hob being fired up saving on gas. :thumbsup:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Microwave is the way to go.Cover the dish. You need to experiment with timings for best affect. Small amount of water and energy used. This is just my personal method, so I stand by for flaming from the combined members of the Zen and The Art of Vegetable cooking Club. :gossip:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Listen to wise old Bozza though. Roasted veg are the nuts also. Especially your SQUASH type of veg - veggies for the modern world. :thumbsup:

Most days my lunch is a big box of home roasted veg - any of butternut squash, sweet potato, mushrooms, courgettes, peppers, onions, leeks, carrots, broccoli, baby corn, mange tout with a handful or rocket and a liberal dosing of chilli sauce. I literally NEVER get bored of it.

And you're right - the squash is spectacular. 'Shrooms always roast well too.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Boiling the kettle is a more effiicient way of heating water than in a saucepan, therefore saves energy (and money).

But steamiing tastes better.

And generally leaves a better texture.

And is healthier, because the vitamins don't leach out.

Surely steaming saves energy and money? Once the water's boiled it's more efficient to steam it than boil whatever way you've boiled the water?

Anyway I steam all veg, unless it's new potatoes where I think they should be put in cold water and brought to the boil

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Microwave is the way to go.Cover the dish. You need to experiment with timings for best affect. Small amount of water and energy used. This is just my personal method, so I stand by for flaming from the combined members of the Zen and The Art of Vegetable cooking Club. :gossip:

We don't own a microwave - that's how offended I am by your suggestion.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Anyone who microwaves fresh veg is worse than a peadophile

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Roast veg is the food of kings - I love it. Olive oil into roasting tray, chop up and chuck in the veg, leave in oven until cooked. Roast veg, done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here