Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In your opinion have the club royally f***ed up?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Here we had £250k to spend on whoever we could get. We have not had that sort of money to spend on any player for many many years.

We sign an untried, untested player with the money

It turns out, he was very raw, a dodgy temprement, a gambling problem ( allegedly) a perchance for sulking on the field and all in all a bloody waste of time and effort all round.

Now....not being a blame culture, whose fault is this. is it our scouting system who "found " him, is it MM for not getting the best out of him, is it the fans fault for getting on his back, or is it LDC';s fault?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
What is all this about a Gambling problem as ive never heard of it. I think the club had the right idea with CKR, Just he didn't repay our faith in him.

EDIT:Not his fault at all?

Last edited:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Would have gone onto be a top player if he had got the support from the club and played correctly, but alas it was not to be

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
No.

At the time CKR looked the perfect match for the Coke money. Young, truly promising, and a much more exciting investment than say, getting another old timer in the mould of George Santos or Jason Dodd to creak around at the back for a season or two. I was genuinely excited we'd spent the money on him.

No-one could have predicted how things would turn out.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Why is everyone so angry at CKR, we got him for f*** all, he goes, a new player comes in, he'll be forgotton within a season!

Que sera sera!

IMO , see yer and good luck in the Prem!

:wave:

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
bhafc99 said:
No.

At the time CKR looked the perfect match for the Coke money. Young, truly promising, and a much more exciting investment than say, getting another old timer in the mould of George Santos or Jason Dodd to creak around at the back for a season or two. I was genuinely excited we'd spent the money on him.

Spot on

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
We are a selling club and young players are more likely to last longer (Blackwell/Rodger/Kitson/Dodd) and have a greater sell on value.

Even though the money was 'free', it was not an opportunity to waste it on a journeyman who might not have made an impact.

Signing anyone is a risk, but an older player, you risk losing out on any potential return on your investment.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Effectively we have the Coke money to spend all over again now so I dont see the problem at all.

The guy obviously has something, hence a Premiership club wanting him.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
bhafc99 said:
No.

Agreed, and as Grendel said hindsight is a wonderful thing. The promising Bristol Rovers reserve we signed a few years back did well and is (I think) currently top of the Premiership scoring chart. The promising Bury youngster didn't work out.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I sometimes wonder how big people think Brighton are, reading these threads is a giggle!

He's been offered a chance to join a team in the Premiership, whats he gonna do..."Nah Im happy playin in this athletics stadium!"

FFS!

:lolol:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
BarrelofFun said:
We are a selling club and young players are more likely to last longer (Blackwell/Rodger/Kitson/Dodd) and have a greater sell on value.

Even though the money was 'free', it was not an opportunity to waste it on a journeyman who might not have made an impact.

Signing anyone is a risk, but an older player, you risk losing out on any potential return on your investment.

If we made any profit at all then its a bonus. A gamble maybe but that could have been said of a couple of youngsters with minimal league experience, remember a chap called Ward and another called Zamora ?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
The Northstander said:
I sometimes wonder how big people think Brighton are, reading these threads is a giggle!

He's been offered a chance to join a team in the Premiership, whats he gonna do..."Nah Im happy playin in this athletics stadium!"

FFS!

:lolol:

I dont think thats whats annoying people, Anyone in their right mind would go there. I think its the whole way the situation was dealt with.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Don't really blame the club as he obviously did not want to play for us again however we will never know what was said etc between player and manager.

Business wise he was free so generates money which is good news when you are a selling club.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Dave, I dont know where you get your information from, but talking to a source close to the situation when it all kicked off, gambling was certainly was NOT an issue with CKR as it certainly was with some of the others who moved on.

Getting more 'on topic' its not just us who have problems with young players with massive ego's who are putting themselves in massive debt for the latest BMW etc etc (not saying CKR has) and who think they, and others around them can influence what goes on at a football club with bully or gang tactics that are straight off the streets. Would they get away with that in any other walk of life. I think not.

This problem will only get worse with the money available and all the perks that go with that, the thing the likes of Knight etc cant see is that those perks are for the very top 5%, the rest of the wanabee's just get more and more into debt, gambling etc which ends up affecting what happens on the pitch, they think they are untouchable because of what they do, when in reality some are doing VERY little to justify what they are being paid. What ever happened to putting in a decent days graft for some of these worthless braindead nobodys.

Its maybe why Cricket and Rugby are having such a renasience period, its so refreshing seeing sport played for sports sake, not by little shit bags whose onlt goal in life is to have the biggest diamond ear-ring.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here