Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In your heart of hearts do you really think the Falmer decision is a yes or no?

Is the Falmer decision a yes or a no?

• Its a yes!!!!

Votes: 67 62.0%
  • He's gonna say no.

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • I still dont know which way it'll go.

Votes: 20 18.5%

• Total voters

Yes - in the latest supporters club newsletter Tim Carder encapsulates the argument in a superb nutshell why it's a definite yes. Prescott's particular choice of words at the Labour Party conference and his smile as he delivered them were the hallmark of a politician giving the thumbs-up.

There is no way as a politician he would have lingered on the phrase that "many in this city want a football stadium" if he knew he was going to disappoint that "many". He would have used a different choice of words or not addressed the matter at all.

I've been confident ever since the second inquiry was announced. If it was a no, he would have said no then, rather than rigging the terms of the second inquiry in our favour, criteria that were stedfastly ignored by Hoile and Collyer.

If I could get odds on a yes decision now, I would pile a grand on it. :drink: :drink:

Tim also makes a convincing argument (one that has altered my view on it) that Falmer will think about a judicial review but not go for it in the end, the death of Tom Carr being a particular blow to the gung-ho hardliners.

So by the end of January, I reckon a yes decision and no more legal scares from the Falmerites.

Last edited:

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
Lord Bracknell said:
Where's the option for ....

Oh, never mind. Yes, it's getting tedious. :)

So, LB, you would go for some sort of "Yes, but...." ? Something along the lines of Yes to Falmer, but only if the following sixty three conditions are complied with (a number of which being designed to keep the Nimbys happy, and a further number of which are designed to keep the National Park/AONB folk happy).

By the way, I don't know what these might be, but I'm sure there are loads.

balloonboy said:
So, LB, you would go for some sort of "Yes, but...." ?
Nah.

I'm kinda hoping for a third Public Inquiry.

I've got to enjoy them. The razor sharp repartee, the erotic detail of the breeding habits of the black redstart, the exciting tabulations of traffic forecasts (better than any Suduko puzzle), and all the fit women in the public gallery.

:)

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
London Irish - having just read your post I can now sleep well.

Only cause of concern- is it is clear that he is going to say Yes to a stadium - as we have all said why would Prescott raise the Subject otherwise - but where will that Stadium be? I still have this awful nagging feeling re Sheepcote - although having reread the Inquiry posts/reports it is clearly a far worse option

A week on Tuesday is my guess for the date it will be announced.

Bobby's Gull

DAFT Bint
Jul 6, 2003
Bed
It has to be a Yes, how can it be announced that it'll be a no? If it is a yes it'll be because of a few hundred small minded :censored: and i'll personally go and blow that village up.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:
London Irish - having just read your post I can now sleep well.

Only cause of concern- is it is clear that he is going to say Yes to a stadium - as we have all said why would Prescott raise the Subject otherwise - but where will that Stadium be? I still have this awful nagging feeling re Sheepcote - although having reread the Inquiry posts/reports it is clearly a far worse option

A week on Tuesday is my guess for the date it will be announced.

I am sure Lord Bracknell knows the legal stuff, but my interpretation was that Prescott can only say yes or nay to the Falmer Application on the table, he cannot recommend another site for the stadium upfront because this could prejudice the outcome of the democratic process, skew another Public Inquiry necessary because none of the other most popular sites are zoned for sports stadia.

Therefore it is Falmer or Bust as far as the Public Inquiry decision is concerned.

As Dick Knight has said "there are no other suitable sites in Brighton & Hove" and those are near enough his exact words.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
perseus said:
I am sure Lord Bracknell knows the legal stuff, but my interpretation was that Prescott can only say yes or nay to the Falmer Application on the table, he cannot recommend another site for the stadium upfront because this could prejudice the outcome of the democratic process, skew another Public Inquiry necessary because none of the other most popular sites are zoned for sports stadia.

Therefore it is Falmer or Bust as far as the Public Inquiry decision is concerned.

As Dick Knight has said "there are no other suitable sites in Brighton & Hove" and those are near enough his exact words.

apart from pende of course

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Yes.
I'm feeling positive, which makes a change.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
perseus said:

Thats exactly the point I was trying to make on another thread. It's not John Presott's remit to suggest another site is it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here