Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In todays 'the sun' - Christian Union to be banned?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We do not believe this

Students ... faithful followers

By ALASTAIR TAYLOR

BARMY students are set to ban a Christian club — unless it allows non- believers to help run it.

Students’ Union officials at Hull University are demanding that the society is open to all, including atheists and members of other faiths.

But furious organisers of the Christian Union say the rule could lead to non-believers being in charge.

The group welcomes anybody to meetings but insists committee members are followers of God.

They were stunned to be told they were breaking equal opportunities rules — and must sever ties with the Students’ Union.

Vice president Simon Livesey stormed: “It is political correctness gone mad.

“This involves our freedom and ability to follow our faith properly. In order to follow a faith properly the leadership needs to be Christian.”

And Colin Hart of the Christian Institute, which is backing the Christian Union, said: “It is completely crazy.

“It is totally intolerant of the right of students to associate with like-minded people.”

Students’ Union secretary Kieron Broadhead said all its societies MUST be inclusive.

He added: “Jewish and Islamic societies abide by the same rules.”

The Students’ Union Council has voted overwhelmingly not to ratify the Christians’ constitution because it breaches “equality of opportunity relating to societies”.

A spokesman added: “The Students’ Union has clear rules by which all societies functioning under its umbrella must abide and the Christian Union is no exception.”

Both groups are now seeking legal advice.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just to add, I go to Hull uni and the main objection here is that the society should not be funded by all students, if only a few are allowed to join.
The doctrine they want people to sign it very heavy as well, including things along the lines of:
"i accept that since the fall of man we are all going to be judged and the sinners will burn in the pits of hell"

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Richie Morris said:
Just to add, I go to Hull uni and the main objection here is that the society should not be funded by all students, if only a few are allowed to join.
The doctrine they want people to sign it very heavy as well, including things along the lines of:
"i accept that since the fall of man we are all going to be judged and the sinners will burn in the pits of hell"

sounds to me as if the studes have got it right...if it's not inclusive, why fund it?

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Something similar happened here in Southampton. It wasn't the Christian Union, but the Liberal Democrat Society. Many outsiders joined, enough to form a majority, then voted to close the society anyway...

Sorry - edited, it wasn't a religous one at all.

Last edited:

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Richie Morris said:

I'm sorry Richie - show me the doctrine that says that. Can't believe it. Either an Aprils Fool or you are exaggerating it.

When I was at Southampton Uni our Christian Union had similar problems so we just didn't get any SU funding. Its ridiculous that anyone who is not sympathetic to the aims of the CU should lead the organisation - just political correctness gone crazy.

They are not stopped from going and being part of it, just not running it. Makes perfect sense to me.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Seagull over NZ said:
When I was at Southampton Uni our Christian Union had similar problems so we just didn't get any SU funding. Its ridiculous that anyone who is not sympathetic to the aims of the CU should lead the organisation - just political correctness gone crazy.

When was this SoNZ? The CU here now is completely nuts. I have no problems with Christians, or them having a Union, they can feel free to practice how they believe. But recently they have become completely forceful in their approach to it. I know several people who have been told to join and "be saved" or "suffer the consequences". And this was in the middle of the day, in the middle of the student union.

As I said, I have no problems with Christians, but please don't force it on other people...

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
DTES - was 91-94 and back then we certainly didn't go round saying things like that.

As a Christian I wouldn't ever judge someone else by saying things like that although I believe in it strongly such that I would encourage others to search it out. Unfortunately an element of Christians take it too far and don't think about what they are saying.

Things like that just don't work in a PC world like the UK. Interestingly enough, if you were in Africa you often hear the church evangelising along thos elines and the church is growing hugely.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Seagull over NZ said:
Unfortunately an element of Christians take it too far and don't think about what they are saying.

Yes, I realise it's a minority, but they do give the Union a bad name unfortunately.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I imagine this sort of issue gets raised at every uni due to the nature of the funding for Students Unions. i was at Southbank and involved with the SU, every club/society had to have a constitution that stated it was inclusive and free to all students to join.

Normally the club just goes ahead with this knowing that no-one out side the Cristian Union/Conservatives/Sikh/LGB/Sociallist Worker or whatever group, will cares and will ignore this. But these people decided to shout about something that doent matter from the roof tops, so now every bugger will want to join just as a windup.

I know i would. :p

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Seagull over NZ said:
DTES - was 91-94 and back then we certainly didn't go round saying things like that.

As a Christian .....

You really do have my sympathy, but there is hope. There is another way. There are people out there who can cure you of your Christianity. It's quite painless. It frees up Sundays and you no longer have to go around feeling that you're a sinner. It really helps to lighten you up if you drop religion.

Hart's mistress

Mar 7, 2004
Brighton
Seagull over NZ said:
I'm sorry Richie - show me the doctrine that says that. Can't believe it. Either an Aprils Fool or you are exaggerating it.

They are not stopped from going and being part of it, just not running it. Makes perfect sense to me.

Totally agree with this.

I am a bit confused as to why there are both people complaining about not being able to be a leader, therefore that it's not inclusive, and at the same time people don't like Christians telling them about their faith, so therefore would not want to go to the CU anyway. Which one is it?!

There is no way that a CU would not want non-believers there. It has already been said here that sometimes Christians are too ready to tell others about it. They'd just rather non-believers didn't lead it because chances are they don't understand it so would probably not be able to do it very well. Would you see a ballet dancer leading a wrestling society?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
goldstone said:
you no longer have to go around feeling that you're a sinner. It really helps to lighten you up if you drop religion.

Sorry, mate, but that suggests you are badly informed on this matter. One of the main points of Christianity is that we believe our sins are forgiven - hence not a burden at all.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Juan Albion said:
Sorry, mate, but that suggests you are badly informed on this matter. One of the main points of Christianity is that we believe our sins are forgiven - hence not a burden at all.

Oh, I geddit. Christians do a lot of sins because they know they're going to be forgiven.

Me, I'm an atheist and I try to live a decent life (no sinning if I can help it) and I take responsibility for my own actions. No god to forgive me so I'd best behave.

Strange folks you christians.

I always liked the story about the Jesuit plans for converting China to Christianity back in the sixteenth century. They'd worked out that Chinese culture placed great emphasis on the importance of not losing face. Obviously this meant that the Chinese wouldn't be impressed by the fact that Christ had been crucified.

So the Jesuit missionaries took a perfectly rational decision ... convert the Chinese to Christianity, but don't tell them about the crucifixion.

Maybe the Christian Union needs to take the same approach - recruit as many members as possible, but don't mention religion.

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here