Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

In other words 'Kettled'

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They're tried that before and I've always ended up either back in North London or a London pub within an hour or so.

I bet there will be an angry thread by a NSCer on December 2nd where they regurgitate their ordeal of being forced onto a Brighton bound train despite them having a return ticket to Manchester.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
That's why I sold my ticket. Can't be arsed with that shit. Hope return the favour in the return leg.

Dandyman

In London village.
I bet there will be an angry thread by a NSCer on December 2nd where they regurgitate their ordeal of being forced onto a Brighton bound train despite them having a return ticket to Manchester.

I don't doubt it and I don't doubt that at least some of the Met will behave like dicks but I'd hope most of us are a bit smarter than the average plod.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
They're tried that before and I've always ended up either back in North London or a London pub within an hour or so.

Dressed as a pearly king with a chimney sweep in tow - go on admit it.

It's technically only happened to me once - at London Bridge when I had to argue my out of not getting on a train to Brighton.

First and only time someone in authority has attempted to force me on a train without a valid ticket.

I've been practising cockney all week with a back up plan of lost American tourist.

Funnily enough the opposite happened to me on Monday evening. I ended up in CROYDON by mistake when I boarded an unscheduled train on my usual platform at Clapham Junction. :(

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
From a policing perspective, "kettling" is probably the safest and easiest way of getting one group of fans together, and moving as one,after the other group of fans have dispersed.
In saying that,after last years policing fiasco at Selhurst, I hope lessons have been learnt. By building a big wall at the top of Holmesdale road in the hope of stopping a clash at the junction Holmesdale and Park road,all that did was to force all the Herbert's from Palace to run around the wall( via a couple of side roads) and meet your lot down at Norwood Junction.
If they contain you in Park Road for say 20 minutes, the streets should be clear, and policing the situation should become easier.
The only downside is fans who travelled to the match by other means, but a friendly copper (?) might let you slip the net.
Hope the games passes off reasonably trouble free.

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
Perhaps the OP should read the definition of kettled.

FFS, get over it, the presence of the arseholes that claim to support both clubs is the reason why. If there were no police when we came out of SP how would you react? I've never had a problem getting to whatever station, or parking road I've been in, just a little patience, let the police do their job, in keeping the majority of us safe from the cretins, and hey ho, back to the car, or station of choice.

If you can't cope with that then I guess you should either not bother going, or you are one of the morons.

I know lots of your so called assholes that do support the club. Just because some people enjoy other parts involved in football it does not mean they are not brighton fans.That statement is totally wrong.

Paul Skinback

Oct 3, 2009
Yep, it's load of bollocks but I expect nothing less from met police and that scummy club.

You know the answer then, don't come! Seriously, if you hate us as much as you say, stay at home. I wouldn't give Charlton my dick splash if those ***** were on fire let alone £30+, i just stay at home and hate from there.

Paul Skinback

Oct 3, 2009
Dressed as a pearly king with a chimney sweep in tow - go on admit it.

It's technically only happened to me once - at London Bridge when I had to argue my out of not getting on a train to Brighton.

First and only time someone in authority has attempted to force me on a train without a valid ticket.

I've been practising cockney all week with a back up plan of lost American tourist.

Funnily enough the opposite happened to me on Monday evening. I ended up in CROYDON by mistake when I boarded an unscheduled train on my usual platform at Clapham Junction. :(

Right O, spying on us or house hunting?

Dandyman

In London village.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I know lots of your so called assholes that do support the club. Just because some people enjoy other parts involved in football it does not mean they are not brighton fans.That statement is totally wrong.

Correct. It is entirely possible to be both a Brighton fan and a complete arsehole.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Remember this is on the palace website too . So they may do exactly what they did last year . In fact that probably makes the most sense. Ship us off and were gone. Keep us in and there will probably be a few twats hanging around for us . Was hilarious last year when about twenty palace came running at us from round the corner to be met by 3k of us and loads of police . The police horses ran at them and off they went .

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Remember this is on the palace website too . So they may do exactly what they did last year . In fact that probably makes the most sense. Ship us off and were gone. Keep us in and there will probably be a few twats hanging around for us . Was hilarious last year when about twenty palace came running at us from round the corner to be met by 3k of us and loads of police . The police horses ran at them and off they went .

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

The Statement's not wrong, they DO claim to support both clubs, and perhaps in their world they do, so i guess I agree with your sentiment too. However, Because of these individuals, the rest of us have to be treated in this way. As i said, some will accept the polices method of dealing with it, I do, or you can complain till you're blue in the face! Complaining wont make it go away, only the arseholes going away will change it. Then again, as you say, they will be out in force, plenty with their mobile phones videoing anything they can, especially if it gives them the opportunity to film themselves being oh so 'oppressed' by the police, or, even better, doing some rude shouting at Palace fans, whilst behind the police lines. And of course, it's the same the other way around with the home lot.

Correct. It is entirely possible to be both a Brighton fan and a complete arsehole.

Yes, i guess it is, I'm minded of the signature tune of the Rocky Horror Show (it's just a jump to the left....) as well as the title of the Spice Girls first hit single. :down:

Either way, the Brighton fans will be safely led to the station, and those who need to, will be able to make their way to their cars, or to other transport hubs, once the police are satisfied they have minimised the risk to everyone's safety.

Sep 28, 2011
Pretty much agree with all of this, apart from it being the right thing ; as a rule of thumb it's more the away fans who tend to be 'up or it', most Palace will be in the pubs / on the trains in 20 mins, and I think most away fans tend to expect to be held back ; the angry reaction to last years tactics from our side showed that it was far from peaceful and just created a flash point at the clock tower!

Never trust the Met, they're all scum. Personally I thought you lot had it spot on last year, from my hazy memories we walked out the stand, were surrounded by police so idiots from either side didn't run through and cause havoc, then when most Brighton had cleared off allowed us on our way. No drama, no anger or flash points... Both our clubs have idiots but 99% are decent people and treat us as humans, and we'll behave as such. Just a shame the police can't quite figure this out and seem to think we're stuck in 1980 :/

From a policing perspective, "kettling" is probably the safest and easiest way of getting one group of fans together, and moving as one,after the other group of fans have dispersed.
In saying that,after last years policing fiasco at Selhurst, I hope lessons have been learnt. By building a big wall at the top of Holmesdale road in the hope of stopping a clash at the junction Holmesdale and Park road,all that did was to force all the Herbert's from Palace to run around the wall( via a couple of side roads) and meet your lot down at Norwood Junction.
If they contain you in Park Road for say 20 minutes, the streets should be clear, and policing the situation should become easier.
The only downside is fans who travelled to the match by other means, but a friendly copper (?) might let you slip the net.
Hope the games passes off reasonably trouble free.

i'm hoping this year to make a quick schlip down to Selhurst BR this year, last year I was in The Holmsdale and had to go the long way round to get to NJ due to the wall, got held by the Met at that crossroads near NJ for about 15 mins (you'll like this bit) as the Brighton Fans went past I was gettin abuse, and the Palace behind surged forward to 'have a go' and I was suffering their abuse as well!

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
i'm hoping this year to make a quick schlip down to Selhurst BR this year, last year I was in The Holmsdale and had to go the long way round to get to NJ due to the wall, got held by the Met at that crossroads near NJ for about 15 mins (you'll like this bit) as the Brighton Fans went past I was gettin abuse, and the Palace behind surged forward to 'have a go' and I was suffering their abuse as well!

Well that's what happens when you try to infiltrate the Holmesdale Ultras !

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
it will be a massive f***ing ball ache for me then considering i am heading back to york after the game :facepalm:

Will be no problem at all. Just explain to a police officer, one of the hundreds present will allow you to slip out if you explain the situation, I had to do exactly the same last year to get back north to Sheffield that same day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here